Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,128,438 times

Advertisements

lol....I know. Suing for libel costs a lot of time and money. And getting retribution isn't likely unless it's absolute blasphemous and off-the-wall crude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
libel, a very weak law suit. greatly inferior to personal injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,314,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Libel: Libel refers to a false written and seen communication made about a person with the intention to defame that person. It is a written representation conveying an unjust and unfavorable impression prepared with the intention to damage a person’s reputation.
///////
OK, Perry Mason.

Quote:
I work in customer service and one of our customers recently tried to blackmail us by posting about his experience online on a popular industry forum. He had threatened to cause us a lot of bad press on multiple blogs and forum, vowing to "take us down". Yeah tough guy huh? The problem is he made several misleading statements about our security policies and procedures, getting other forum members riled up. He lied, making our company look bad.
There is a difference between misleading and false.

Quote:
Our senior management is now involved but they have a concern that they want to keep some of our security policies confidential and not post a message on the forum. However I provided a summary of the case for the senior manager to use in case the customer escalated this to the forum moderators in as an official complaint. The mods there have this process to act as an arbitrator.
That's all you need to do unless you are SPECIFICALLY told otherwise, and I'd make sure I got it in writing and used an approved in writing response and nothing more.

Quote:
Now the thing is, I'm having a hard time watching the thread and seeing the lies. I am so tempted to post something myself, but am not allowed. I wish my manager would ask the moderator to post something and expose the customer for his lies. The customer is trying to pressure us into paying him for money he lost for his own mistakes and is giving us bad press we don't deserve.

What would you do at this point?
I told you what I'd do. Leave it alone if you value your job. If I was your boss and found out that you had made an unauthorized communication on that board, not only would you be fired and denied unemployment for gross misconduct, but I might go after you for civil damages for any further damages you might cause.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,386,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Are you talking about me or the OP?
the op lol

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

And the OP's case is what happens when corporations are dysfunctional. All it takes is one uptight customer to expose anything unjust or unfair. And it's perfectly fine in my book. As long as he/she believes it to be truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK, Perry Mason.

There is a difference between misleading and false.

That's all you need to do unless you are SPECIFICALLY told otherwise, and I'd make sure I got it in writing and used an approved in writing response and nothing more.

I told you what I'd do. Leave it alone if you value your job. If I was your boss and found out that you had made an unauthorized communication on that board, not only would you be fired and denied unemployment for gross misconduct, but I might go after you for civil damages for any further damages you might cause.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,314,309 times
Quote:
lol....I know. Suing for libel costs a lot of time and money. And getting retribution isn't likely unless it's absolute blasphemous and off-the-wall crude.
At my last job we had a crazy customer who bought a slightly defective product. (It was not a safety related defect.) We were the retailer not the manufacturer. We offered to replace it, even though the warranty required he return it to the manufacturer. That wasn't good enough. He wanted us to replace it AND upgrade him to not the next best model, but the top of the line model. We refused, and our offer to replace with the same model wasn't good enough. We even offered to deliver it to him for free (it was a smaller electronic item that we normally wouldn't have delivered) and that still wasn't enough.

He called a local radio talk show complaining about us, ranting like an absolute lunatic. Not only did he completely discredit himself, but three customers called (unsolicited by us, we found out about this after the fact) and spoke very highly of our company.

Sometimes the best way to handle people like that is to just let them run out of steam or shoot themselves in the foot.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM

I truly believe the OP works in a dysfunctional work environment. It's not all about her/him but the entire department is mismanaged or problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
the op lol

Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 PM

lol. That's a funny story though. But I do know that some corporations use shills to help with reputation management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sometimes the best way to handle people like that is to just let them run out of steam or shoot themselves in the foot.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,731,504 times
Who cares? They aren't hurting you, let it go. At this point it's professional, meaning you don't have a horse in the game. You have absolutely no business straightening this guy out, and in all honesty, if I was you boss and saw your posts here I would fire you tomorrow. It seems like you only make enemies at work, only make enemies here, see a trend? For all I know you're a nice guy, heck, I might well like you, but you have no sense about your role as an employee.

If you aren't a lawyer, you'll look like a moron even discussing this at work. Leave it alone unless you are told to do more.... Yes you can monitor the situation if your boss asked you to, but you know how many people have threatened to "have my job" or "bankrupt my company" because they were made? Probably a dozen. This guy needs to cool off, chill out, and your company doesn't need an employee who is to unwise to stay out, so stay out! Just listen to your boss, that's why they get paid the bug bucks.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,343,926 times
Quote:
I truly believe the OP works in a dysfunctional work environment. It's not all about her/him but the entire department is mismanaged or problematic.
Well, at least one person thinks it's not the OP.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,746,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Umm, I'm already involved. I was the CSR who dealt with the customer and the senior manager asked me to keep his team updated, plus compose a possible reaction. I did, it just hasn't been posted yet.
Plus I don't see why you would even advise me not to visit that board. It's my job to keep management updated on public issues like this.
You should have a legal department or a lawyer and be getting advice from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment