Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times

Advertisements

My babies did just graduate from high school a little over a week ago. Obviously we told them lots of things, but the main thing we tried to do was guide them toward something specific in college. One scored a full ride to a top-20 school and will have a guaranteed job upon graduation (Navy) and the other has been accepted to her choice of nursing schools and should graduate with little to no student loan debt. She initially wanted to be an MD but decided being a mom/having a family and a flexible schedule was more important, so now she wants to ultimately be a nurse practitioner. We tried to emphasize having a goal or a desired payoff from the college education rather than just going for its own sake. I'm not all that happy that that is the way the world turns for the foreseeable future (I think ideally college should be about growth and learning for its own sake), but I think they will be glad they have chosen their specific paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you're smart enough to get a degree,
I didn't say degree, though it is an option. A trade, anything, even with just a high school, you aren't going far in fast food, not beyond store manager for sure. Ex son-in-law was in fast food management, and while the pay is ok, they earn it many times over. He burned out, life is too short to put up with the hassle he went through what seemed like every single day.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Make money using your God given talents then you'll have a job you will enjoy!
My daughter graduates this Friday She will be majoring in Fine Arts but she already has a little business growing where she airbrushes her cool designs or whatever the client wants unto tshirts and canvas shoes! She has been developing quite a following. I told her she should also major in business since the art part comes naturally. Use your nogging to make some green.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM

299 posts, read 903,677 times
Go to college and major in something that will get you a job in 4 or 5 years (business, communications, engineering). If you don't think you're college material, learn a skilled trade (electrician, plumber/pipefitter, auto mechanic, etc.).

Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM

37 posts, read 76,701 times
I'd tell them to get the facts. Pull up calculators on the internet and learn how you can save for retirement via the power of compound interest. Check the employment/unemployment numbers for people with an education/trade versus those who don't. Check cost of living comparisons and develop an understanding of what that means day-to-day. Way too many people base pretty major decisions on "well this guy I know..." or "my mom told me..."

I'd also tell them to think about daily life. I know a lot of young people who are obsessed with chalking up "life experiences" for no reason other than being able to drop them in to conversation. I find it hard to believe chasing that, and sacrificing comfort and contentment in your daily life is worth it for very many people.

But, really, the best advice I ever got was from my mother (who got it from her father): "If you're honest and hard-working, you're ahead of two-thirds of the people out there". Remember that, treat people well, and you should find some measure of success and happiness.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
This is not the time to get into something that you LIKE. This is the time to plan on something you can live on, and then plan for a contingency after that. You can do what you like when you have the means to live!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Try as many drugs as you want but don't get addicted. If you haven't already, I encourage you to try marijuana a couple of times so that you can see that it's not as evil as the media would like you to believe. Especially if you're going to college, smoking pot is always a better alternative to drinking. But that's just my opinion, so you can take it or leave it. That's the nice thing about being an adult.
WTF. This is the most pathetic, loser advice ever.

Smoking marijuana regularly in college all but guarantees a mediocre academic record. There's something called short term memory, and it's important for studying. Anything below a 3.0 GPA, you might as well not have gone to college. If you don't have enough self control not to try drugs, then you should reconsider college. The worst thing would be to carry a ton of loans and then only have mediocrity to show for it.

BTW, the media glorifies drugs and rarely portrays it as evil. But you go into an addiction clinic and see some of the patients there and tell me it's not evil. FYI, none of them wanted to get addicted when they first started. I'm a young doctor, and it breaks my heart to see this side of drug use, especially to those who are still school aged, that you so nonchalantly brush off. This isn't some conspiracy and you aren't cool for rebelling against "the establishment" that's in your head.

Last edited by Guineas; 06-02-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Be/get proficient in Spanish

Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Don't buy into the hype that college is the only way you're gonna be "successful"....remember only 24% of Americans have a college degree. Focus instead on getting hands-on work experience and collecting valuable contacts as that will make you much more competitive in the job market and help you get work much faster...it really is all about who you know.

If you want to go to college...go the Community college or state school route...don't waste money on out-of-state or ivy league schools...with the latter esp Ivy League you're degree will only be a conversation piece and not much else...except you'll be stuck paying $100,000 in student loans (ouch!). Oh that's another thing...STAY AWAY FROM UNNECESSARY DEBT! Start building your credit worthiness EARLY. You'll thank yourself later.

Finally, be patient. I know it seems that you're low on the societal totem pole as a new-found adult (esp males) and that everybody else is so much smarter, more attractive, and more successful than yourself. Take it easy, don't compare yourself to a person in their 30's with the good job, the nice car and the hot spouse...that'll be you soon enough. Stack your chips one at a time, be the tortoise in the race...slow & steady. Live for today, tomorrow, and 20 years down the road.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Don't buy into the hype that college is the only way you're gonna be "successful"....remember only 24% of Americans have a college degree. Focus instead on getting hands-on work experience and collecting valuable contacts as that will make you much more competitive in the job market and help you get work much faster...it really is all about who you know.
That's bizarre logic. If only 24% of Americans have college degrees, wouldn't you want to be a part of the more select group?

While a college degree by itself might not be a huge jump over high school graduates, the college degree opens doors to further opportunities such as medical school, law school, professional masters (MBA, MEng, PSM, NP) and professional certifications (CPA, CFA, CISA). You can't get a professional degree without a college degree first.

Here's the average annual income by highest educational attainment in the US:

As an 18 year old, why would you purposely cut off those opportunities by not going to college (if you are capable)? The professional degree holder earns 4 times as much as a high school grad. Hype?

Last edited by Guineas; 06-03-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment