Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Having worked at both a small and large corporation, I like the small company better! Both have their issues, but in the end it tends to be more of a family atmosphere for the smaller firm. I work at a small firm now after working for a bank for 7 1/2 years. Man, what a difference! I did leave for a few months and went back to a big company, and it didn't work out! I found the same miserable BS that was going on at the bank that I worked at. Micro management to the tenth degree!!!! Rules rules rules rules, and more rules! The supervisor I worked for was absolutely horrible! No support from her, and no matter what you did it was never right! I consider myself a hard worker, and given the opportunity I will try my best and give you 110%. But, if you are constantly over my shoulder, and constantly on my ***** I end up tuning out! Yeah, I realize that it doesn't help when I do that, but it's the way that I'm wired. Treat me like an adult, and I'm good. I'm happy to be back where I am and I'm sorry that I left. I let them know this all the time.

I hope to start my own business someday. I have my own DJ business, but it's more of a side job, and over the years, I've just gotten burned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
seems like people's opinions are more favoring toward smaller firms... interesting.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
There are pros and cons to working for small companies so you have to evaluate them for yourself. My one and only experience with a small company was a bad one as I faced harassment due to my hearing impairment. Either the manager did not know about the ADA laws or blatantly chose to ignore them. By the end of my nearly two years of working there, I suffered from a decreased sense of my abilities to function in the workplace. I could have sued but I am grateful that I did not put myself through that even though the management deserved it. Because of this, I am reluctant to work in a small company that do not have accountability to monitor and discipline supervisors if they harass or discriminate against an employee. This is my personal take on this issue.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,546 times
Depends on the firm,I guess,
Small company that is not family-owned may be a great to start or end a career.
People in the middle may want or need larger firm for benefits,career growth,etc.
Personally,I would NEVER recommend that anybody work at a small family-owned firm.
Too many family dynamics and you never go anywhere...unless you can marry into the family,that is...LOL

Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 AM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Depends on the firm,I guess,
Small company that is not family-owned may be a great to start or end a career.
People in the middle may want or need larger firm for benefits,career growth,etc.
Personally,I would NEVER recommend that anybody work at a small family-owned firm.
Too many family dynamics and you never go anywhere...unless you can marry into the family,that is...LOL
haha i know that too well. in fact, the firm i previously was let go of had family AND friends at the higher echelons of the food chain who were somehow connected and/or related with the owner. that just made for bad juju and a recipe for disaster... funny that those family members still have jobs (and high paying at that) and they literally do not do a damn thing.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM

80 posts, read 206,474 times
I've worked for small, medium, and large companies and the small and medium companies I worked for were the worst. The managers were unprofessional and had poor people skills. They had no management training and treated most of the employees like they were stupid, which they were not. They made up the rules as they went along and the rules only applied to certain people. With others, they looked the other way. There were no consequences for bad behavior and no accountability for work not being done. And if you had a personnel issue, you had no one to go to about it. I'd rather work for a large company where they have a set of standards and policies in place where everyone is treated equally on merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment