Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times

Advertisements

Since I was a kid, I've always wanted to pursue a career in film, theatre or entertainment in some way. I convinced myself not to when I entered college because I didn't have the confidence, didn't think I'd succeed and decided it wasn't stable enough. Instead, I got a BA in Communications and became a Recruiter. Now, I'm a stay home mom and would really like to pursue a career in film...but now, I'm not fighting with myself but the fact that I have very young children to consider as they are my priority and a career in film isn't that family-friendly. After all these years (I'm 33 now), I still have a strong desire for film and can't shake it. Am I living in a fantasy and should I just forget about it and focus on raising my kids?

I apologize for posting this thread twice as I didn't know whether to put it in the "work" or "entertainment" thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

64 posts, read 315,255 times
Default It's not too late

Hi prettygood,

There are many people pursuing their dreams and raising
their kids. What better way to show your children that
anything is possible than doing what you love. You can
start small, and then build from there. Communication
majors are great writers and speakers. You could be a
Entertainment Publicists, or a Voice-Over Artists. You
could write movie scripts and sell them. All films begin
with a good story. You could register with a local casting
agency, and become an Extra for film projects. You could
use your recruiting skills and become a Talent Scout. These
can be done on a part-time, and or freelance basis. There
are many more types of jobs in film. Those just came to
mind first. I hope that helps some.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,148,995 times
I've always wanted to win the lottery. Hasn't happened yet, BTW.

Becoming successful in films is like winning the lottery. The odds are long. But if that's what you really want to do and you will be happy with bit parts and being an extra, great. Those things are available.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,918,496 times
Find a local theatre group and even work as a stage hand at first, help with stage props or ticket sales -- just to get into the scene.

Don't let dreams completely go. The entertainment field is calling you - you don't know exactly for what but you need to get your toe into the door somehow and find out all the many aspects there are in that field. Maybe you're calling is to work behind the scenes to produce something or be part of the team. Or who knows? One thing can lead to another.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,804,415 times
Some people use "I want to be an actress" as a fantasy, an escape-valve from the stresses of everyday life, and as long as that is all it is - a fantasy - then there's no problem.

It's when they decide they "owe it to themselves" to chase the dream that it becomes dangerous and destructive.

For instance, if you decided "I owe it to my kids to be an example and chase my dream," and somehow convince yourself that it's ok to run away from your responsibilities and seek a career in Hollywood, then you are going to be making a terrible mistake.

If you are 33 years old and have never even done any theater or performing, and you have no contacts in the industry, then the most you should do is join a local theater group. It takes a special kind of person to be a performer. Last time I checked, there was something like 12,000 unemployed actors in Hollywood for every EMPLOYED actor.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,453,637 times
You're not pursuing a career, but a fantasy. Wake up.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 48,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygood View Post
Since I was a kid, I've always wanted to pursue a career in film, theatre or entertainment in some way. I convinced myself not to when I entered college because I didn't have the confidence, didn't think I'd succeed and decided it wasn't stable enough. Instead, I got a BA in Communications and became a Recruiter. Now, I'm a stay home mom and would really like to pursue a career in film...but now, I'm not fighting with myself but the fact that I have very young children to consider as they are my priority and a career in film isn't that family-friendly. After all these years (I'm 33 now), I still have a strong desire for film and can't shake it. Am I living in a fantasy and should I just forget about it and focus on raising my kids?

I apologize for posting this thread twice as I didn't know whether to put it in the "work" or "entertainment" thread.
Balance your time for you kids and for the career you want to pursue. Nothing can stop you from aiming at your goal and you will definitely succeed as long as you have the support of the people around you. Set time for your kids, you can even bring them along to work but make sure to explain to them what and why you're doing it. They'll certainly understand.

That's only my opinion, you can dismiss this if you want lol kidding aside you can always ask advice from career experts. There are lots of them online or if you have a twitter account follow Landon Long on twitter.

Lastly, keep in mind to "live life to the fullest" and go for what makes you happy and fulfilled. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM

225 posts, read 645,796 times
Steady work in the film industry requires connections. You might try independant films shot locally to begin connecting. One of my friends started this way and has worked on several films, big and small, and tv shows. I've done small indy films, commercials, and music videos this way too. Both of us worked as crew.

Be forwarned - it's long, long days, lots of personal sacrifices, and on the spot problem solving. Not for the faint of heart. In the beginning, you'll be working for no pay, but making connections. Also, you have to be really, really careful about staying away from scam artists. The industry has a much higher amount of scummy bottom feeders than most. If you find a nearby film school, the students usually need talent and production assistants (not crew), and you can network with potential up and comers.

Age will never be an issue. You just need persistance.

Remember two things: 1) change requires sacrifice 2) nothing can be created without starting as a dream

if you never try, you'll never know.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,232,043 times
I agree with the advice of starting small and local. You didn't say what you wanted to do--be a performer or a behind the scenes person. If you want to perform and have talent, then the voiceover idea is a good one. I have a friend who does voiceover work for commercials and industrials and makes decent money at it. It's all 9-5 type of work.

If you want to work in the business side, try looking into getting a job--any job--with your local PAC, music hall, arena box office, anything to get your foot in the door.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:23 PM

4,928 posts, read 3,389,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Some people use "I want to be an actress" as a fantasy, an escape-valve from the stresses of everyday life, and as long as that is all it is - a fantasy - then there's no problem.

It's when they decide they "owe it to themselves" to chase the dream that it becomes dangerous and destructive.

For instance, if you decided "I owe it to my kids to be an example and chase my dream," and somehow convince yourself that it's ok to run away from your responsibilities and seek a career in Hollywood, then you are going to be making a terrible mistake.

If you are 33 years old and have never even done any theater or performing, and you have no contacts in the industry, then the most you should do is join a local theater group. It takes a special kind of person to be a performer. Last time I checked, there was something like 12,000 unemployed actors in Hollywood for every EMPLOYED actor.
QFT. Most actors/actresses are working retail or waitering/waitressing in restaurants in between 'gigs', which are sporadic and not dependable as steady stream of income. Only pursue this as a side job, definitely not as your primary career. LUCK is the primary ingredient if you succeed or not in this field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment