Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM

750 posts, read 1,929,573 times

Advertisements

Salaries are in decline especially right now. I applied for a business analyst position that required a person to assign weight to variables - you really have to have a quantative degree or at least years of experience in order to do this. Their salary; $36,000. I of course didn't realize it was so low and had listed my required in what I thought was an acceptable range for depressed times, needless to say - I priced myself out of the job.

In normal times, there is no way I would have done that job for 36,000 - but I would if I were about to lose my home. The funny thing is, I have ended up taking a higher paying job with a defined pension plan and I will not use a fraction of my skills in the new position. I would prefer to have done the analyst job because it sounded very challenging and interesting and would have used all my skills.

BTW - they had a hard time finding anyone to do the job within that range and finally had to redefine the position to just compiling spread sheets and outsourcing the analysis. I wonder how much that cost them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM

968 posts, read 2,626,462 times
Ultimately, my choice became pretty easy as I was called and told the position has been put on hold until further notice. And the quest continues....

In regards to the thread topic, ultimately I will have to evaluate positions that require pay cuts on a case by case basis. I would prefer not to have to consider it period but I do understand that is not the nature of the game right now. If the gap did not exceed $5k, this would be a lot easier to swallow (considering I did not make a significant amount of money at my highest wage).

Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,650,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's like comparing salaries in NYC to salaries in Jacksonville.
It's really interesting that you said that because it reminded me of a company I was with about 5-6yrs ago, I got assigned a project that required me to move to Jacksonville, FL for almost a year. At that time, I was making about $65K in NYC and could barely live on my own and save. When my project was completed and I was planning on moving back to NYC, the manager in FL asked if I would consider moving to FL and they would offer me a Manager position, but then proceeded to tell me that my salary was too high and they would be offering me a lower salary that was more in line with the market in Jacksonville. When I came back to NYC and talked to a colleague, he showed me the salary ranges for the company, and all the roles in Jacksonville were about $15K-$20K lower than the equivalent in NYC. So your right, you can't compare salaries in different cities as the standard of living is different.

As for the OP, whether I would take a paycut would depend how badly I needed a income and the bills I have to pay. I think it would be foolish to pass on a job because of a paycut if you have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. But if your financially stable and afford to be a little patient, then there is nothing wrong with holding out for a bit to see if a better opportunity comes along.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,789,746 times
Count your blessings. I took a 45% paycut (40,000 fewer dollars per year) in order to get off unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment