Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

5,067 posts, read 10,172,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
It does though depend on what you went to college for and if there's a market for it. In the medical industry for example there always seem to be jobs.
Yeah, we've had a big demand for nurses here in Texas for decades. I once even saw a billboard ad saying nurses would be given a new car if they hired on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,134,047 times
I think when you are meant to get a job, you will.

Spend 10 hours a day banging your head on the wall. The phone still doesn't ring until you are meant to get 'that job.'

Does persistence pay off or is it luck?

I am not giving into fear and negativity.
There's a plan for me and I know the right job is coming along.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM

5,067 posts, read 10,172,384 times
I think sometimes a person can take stock of what they do know. Sometimes you can do your own thing with your own business. It might not pay as much, but it is work.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,512,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think when you are meant to get a job, you will.

Spend 10 hours a day banging your head on the wall. The phone still doesn't ring until you are meant to get 'that job.'

Does persistence pay off or is it luck?

I am not giving into fear and negativity.
There's a plan for me and I know the right job is coming along.
I feel similar,except it's been too dam long. Every so often I still try tho

Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,868,320 times
The biggest problem everyone has is they limit what they can do. They know what they have done in the past and they pigeon hole themselves into that notch. we've become so specialized that we say we only know how to use a broom, so when theres a job out there for moppers, we won't even apply, say, nope, thats not something I can do, I don't have the training. We have to think outside the box, if we are office people and we can do a job, we need to look at all the skills we have, how open are we, how much can we do? Apply for every job that comes up, shotgun effect. More job interviews you go on, more chance you have of getting hired, plus at least you get your skills in interviewing honed up. Yeah you get used to rejections, but so what, THIS is real life, not Disney Channel. We gotta make things happen if we want them to. Stepping down off soapbox. .......

Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM

It's not always a matter of what we'll do,but who will hire us? That's a variable most overlook.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,098,108 times
Don't you have rich relatives? It is best to live off of them.

Quote:
It's not always a matter of what we'll do,but who will hire us? That's a variable most overlook.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Don't you have rich relatives? It is best to live off of them.
That option is exhausted as well

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,098,108 times
They are not so rich now are they lol

Quote:
That option is exhausted as well

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM

349 posts, read 890,769 times
Lightbulb Just to comment on Sinsativ

I half-agree with your statement that we limit ourselves; what you may not have thought of is that the companies are also very narrow-minded when you interview with them. I have 9 out of 10 skills required for the job, for example, but it is a different industry in which I have no experience.

Having no reference to said industry that is new to you, it is nearly impossible to sell yourself into that job. The employer may think you have a great skill set and you're a swell person, sure, but they become uneasy hiring someone from a different industry - even if you are essentially doing the same type of work.

I believe they worry you won't stay or will jump ship for something more along the lines of your previous industry. The problem is, with a lot of people who are now forced to find a new line of work, regardless of their efforts, still...the employer feels it is too risky.

I do not think that people are not trying; I think employers have been quite picky for quite some time and in this climate, have no intention of settling; in this city, they rarely hire "on the spot"; it can take weeks or months to fill a spot. The employers are simply in no hurry at all and will wait for the "perfect" person.

That is what I can tell you; I have lived in L.A. and it was quite different, b/c there are more jobs in the industry I have the most experience with. Translating that here has been factually impossible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment