Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 02:19 PM

12,871 posts, read 9,096,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. Why would she need her phone, when presumably she had a landline at her desk at work? I think she gave her boss a glimpse of her priorities, by risking being late just to go home and get her phone.

I wonder what other issues he could possible have had with her, after only 2 days on the job.
Separate from this issue, is workplaces like ours depend on you having your phone to contact you. I won't say it's a good thing, but we're pretty much expected to have a phone with us except in those buildings where it's not allowed. As someone else has mentioned, we have 2 factor set up on some of our systems that depend on texting. Management also expects to be able to reach you, even if you're in a meeting.

It's kind of strange, but that's one of the big COVID by products I've seen -- management went from worrying about workers being on their cell phone to almost making it mandatory to carry one. They're quite honest that the only reason it's not fully mandatory is they'd then have to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 02:22 PM

11,278 posts, read 19,615,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Separate from this issue, is workplaces like ours depend on you having your phone to contact you. I won't say it's a good thing, but we're pretty much expected to have a phone with us except in those buildings where it's not allowed. As someone else has mentioned, we have 2 factor set up on some of our systems that depend on texting. Management also expects to be able to reach you, even if you're in a meeting.

It's kind of strange, but that's one of the big COVID by products I've seen -- management went from worrying about workers being on their cell phone to almost making it mandatory to carry one. They're quite honest that the only reason it's not fully mandatory is they'd then have to pay for it.

In which case, work phones should be provided. How do they manage with an employee who does not own a cell phone?

Old 02-21-2023, 02:24 PM

1,076 posts, read 562,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In which case, work phones should be provided. How do they manage with an employee who does not own a cell phone?
I mean, let's be honest. Who doesn't have a cell phone in 2023? Either someone old and refuses to work the technology or someone on the fringes of society who doesn't want to be tracked by UFOs or CIA. Obviously, I'm being facetious with these examples. But I don't know many run-of-the-mill people who don't have cell phones. Even my tech illiterate parents have smart phones.

It's like asking, "Well, what if they don't have Microsoft Excel skills" for the job that requires them to work in spreadsheets all day. I'll tell ya; they don't get hired.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:41 PM

11,278 posts, read 19,615,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I mean, let's be honest. Who doesn't have a cell phone in 2023? Either someone old and refuses to work the technology or someone on the fringes of society who doesn't want to be tracked by UFOs or CIA. Obviously, I'm being facetious with these examples. But I don't know many run-of-the-mill people who don't have cell phones. Even my tech illiterate parents have smart phones.

It's like asking, "Well, what if they don't have Microsoft Excel skills" for the job that requires them to work in spreadsheets all day. I'll tell ya; they don't get hired.

Myself for one, and one other in c-d that I know of, as told in another thread. And there are a number of people where I work who do not want to use their cell phones for work stuff.

Your comparison is flawed. Owning or not owning a cell phone has nothing to do with the skills needed to do the job. If the job requires cell phone use, the employer should provide the phone.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:42 PM

1,897 posts, read 856,458 times
my company provide work phones and work trucks, we work on a billable hour so one day it might start at 3am, ten the next day and maybe a couple days with no time, like rain days. i might have to be 200 miles away at 6am or a mile up the road. If we bill time to client, we get paid, most weeks it 55-60 hours

Old 02-21-2023, 02:54 PM

1,076 posts, read 562,314 times
Quote:
Myself for one, and one other in c-d that I know of, as told in another thread. And there are a number of people where I work who do not want to use their cell phones for work stuff.

Your comparison is flawed. Owning or not owning a cell phone has nothing to do with the skills needed to do the job. If the job requires cell phone use, the employer should provide the phone.
Your question was about whether they owned a cell phone or not, and I addressed that.

If you don't want to use your personal device for work matters, then I suppose that's something you need to take up with management. For things like 2FA, email, chat, or clocking hours via an app, I suppose they would have to choose between hiring that person or providing them with a device of their own if it was essential. I don't work with many people that make a fuss over these things, so I don't have a good idea of how it would be handled by mgmt or HR.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:07 PM

997 posts, read 550,519 times
I show up 5min early for the first year. After that they kinda depend on me so if I'm late I'm late and no one usually says anything.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:30 PM

12,871 posts, read 9,096,668 times
Quote:
Yep, work phones should be provided. But they don't. Where it shows up is in your performance appraisal. Under things like "judgement and decisions" and "professional working relationship" and other such generic things. Like I was told very early on in my career by my 3rd level supervisor "it's voluntary on your part. Just like what I write in your performance report is voluntary on my part."

Old 02-21-2023, 10:28 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,392,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The boss probably had a relative/buddy they wanted to hire that needed a job. Seen that happen many times. Heck I have worked for clueless goofball directors that didn't know my name or job title after years at the company. Alot of these managers are only looking out for #1. .Themselves They don't care about the rank and file and just look a human below them as a statistic.
Not reality - otherwise they would have never hired them in the first place. Managers want to not deal with problems, they want work, not excuses.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:19 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Hah, that'd be overwhelming to comb through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm on page 3. You can change your settings to 40 posts/page.

But thanks for the pointer.

I'm on page 3 too.

Showing 40 posts per page actually makes it easier to follow threads, especially long ones. It's especially easier if you're looking for a reply using a keyword search by clicking on CTRL F (find), type in the word, hit enter on your keyboard, it will tell you how many times that word is being used on the page. It's also helpful to find where you left off. I hit CTRL F, type roselvr, hit enter, I can see if my name is on the page more than once, if you see a one, it is from the top right of the page where it says, "Welcome, Roselvr. You last visited." if it is two or more I click the up or down arrow. Clicking the up arrow on the left, it will go from #1 to the last entry. Clicking the right down arrow shows you reply 2, 3, 4, etc.

User control panel, then click under Settings & Options click Edit Options. Look down to the third box, Thread Display Options, Number of Posts to Show Per Page, click the silver forum default, then options are 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 posts per page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment