Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 11:48 AM

6,185 posts, read 3,399,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
I’ll leave you with one major difference that many Americans struggle with if you go to one of the more strict countries. You need to act very small and deferential. When in the presence of those native to that country that you don’t know, you don’t speak unless spoken to and it is best to stick with yes or no answers. When you are in public, keep your eye lines low so you don’t accidentally look a local female in the eyes.

You really have to watch your behavior because laws are slanted against foreigners.
I’ve had zero problems in 6 years in the ME. But I have seen some get fired, some get into trouble.

If you need alcohol, this is probably not the place for you. If you need nightlife, this is probably not the place for you.

But if you want to work extremely hard, make a lot of money, be a professional in all you do, both on the job and off, and strive to be the absolute best at your job, this is the place for you.

I love it out here, but I admit I may be cut different. I’m laser focused on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 01:07 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,320,347 times
It's a great eye opener. Most Americans never have to see or adapt to another culture, and believe me if you are not sensitive to the way people do things in their country, you will find out pretty quickly that you aren't fitting in.

But I would recommend it for everyone. More Europeans have done this than Americans, but this is probably changing in the decades since we were overseas. We always looked at these things as an adventure rather than anything else, and we were never disappointed. Read up on the place you're assigned to, pay attention to the advice given by your company, and you'll be fine. It's those who think they know better than others how to behave, who end up getting into messes. There's less tolerance for out-of-the-ordinary behavior in most any other country than in the US.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:57 PM

674 posts, read 610,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Oh please do go on!
Gestures can take on different meanings, depending on the culture. I had a local guy working on a piece of machinery, and he was doing it all wrong. I was in a hurry and asked him to stop it, by drawing my hand across my neck as I rushed away to deal with another crisis situation.

When I came back a few hours later, I was met with 2 policemen who hauled me in front of the local authorities. The guy had reported that I threatened to kill/decapitate him (hand across neck). So I had to explain that the gesture simply meant "Stop what you are doing". Luckily I had a very good relationship with the local authorities and they told me they didn't believe the story from the worker guy at all. They were sure there was a misunderstanding. And indeed there was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment