Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 09:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,117,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Keep reading: WFH and Holidays are not equivalent!
I didn't see a post from OP inquiring about taking the day off.

What I did read is OP asking if it would be allowed to adjust their WFH schedule for the week since the holiday overlapped one of those days. Is that unreasonable to ask? I don't think so. I personally would resume my normal schedule, whether that be in office or WFH upon returning to work. Believe it or not, some managers really do not care where you work. If I were OP, I probably would just go in to the office as planned.

Fireable offense? I don't think so, but apparently to some this is an indication of a future inappropriate behaviors. Could you imagine the unemployment insurance claim? "Why was your employment terminated with XYZ Company?"..."I asked if I could work from home and my manager said this was a sign of things to come".

Last edited by modest; 06-21-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I didn't see a post from OP inquiring about taking the day off.

What I did read is OP asking if it would be allowed to adjust their WFH schedule for the week since the holiday overlapped one of those days. Is that unreasonable to ask? I don't think so. I personally would resume my normal schedule, whether that be in office or WFH upon returning to work. Believe it or not, some managers really do not care where you work. If I were OP, I probably would just go in to the office as planned.

Fireable offense? I don't think so, but apparently to some this is an indication of a future inappropriate behaviors. Could you imagine the unemployment insurance claim? "Why was your employment terminated with XYZ Company?"..."I asked if I could work from home and my manager said this was a sign of things to come".
It would be as unreasonable as the company asking him to come in when a holiday overlaps with an in-office day.

I'm not saying it is unreasonable or not. I would think this is up to the policy/culture of the individual employers/team/management.

I'm "supposed" to go in once a week now, I've not been in for about a month. My manager couldn't care less.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

I'm not saying it is unreasonable or not. I would think this is up to the policy/culture of the individual employers/team/management.

I'm "supposed" to go in once a week now, I've not been in for about a month. My manager couldn't care less.
That's what I would think, too.

Regarding my initial reply, I also don't think employees should be constantly under the gun for asking questions about policies, expectations, culture, etc. That would just create a hostile and toxic workplace IMO. Like walking on egg shells.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:56 PM

700 posts, read 447,821 times
Quote:
That's what I would think, too.

Regarding my initial reply, I also don't think employees should be constantly under the gun for asking questions about policies, expectations, culture, etc. That would just create a hostile and toxic workplace IMO. Like walking on egg shells.
I get what you mean, and I do value an open workplace where questions are welcome and openly discussed.

But there's inevitably the one guy who questions things to the point where you know they're just trying to look for an edge that's not in the spirit of whatever policy at hand.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post

But there's inevitably the one guy who questions things to the point where you know they're just trying to look for an edge that's not in the spirit of whatever policy at hand.
Sure, but do we know this about OP? They have three posts since joining, all of which are in this thread.

It goes back to the world view that some people subscribe to where human beings are inherently untrustworthy and everyone is trying to pull one over on you. I'm more of an "innocent until proven guilty" guy, myself.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Sure, but do we know this about OP? They have three posts since joining, all of which are in this thread.

It goes back to the world view that some people subscribe to where human beings are inherently untrustworthy and everyone is trying to pull one over on you. I'm more of an "innocent until proven guilty" guy, myself.
I hear ya, but after years of managing employees on teams of all sizes, I think I'm a good predictor of underlying motivation. The OP's question here rings a few familiar bells about what they're thinking underneath. I have such a person on my team now, there isn't a loophole (real or imagined) he hasn't investigated.

If I was his manager I would answer him concisely and directly and see what happens next.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I hear ya, but after years of managing employees on teams of all sizes, I think I'm a good predictor of underlying motivation. The OP's question here rings a few familiar bells about what they're thinking underneath. I have such a person on my team now, there isn't a loophole (real or imagined) he hasn't investigated.

If I was his manager I would answer him concisely and directly and see what happens next.
I don't understand how someone could hire someone that they don't trust in this way. Like what are the 5-6 rounds of panel interviews, extensive background checks, drug testing, and professional reference checks for? It takes 4-8 weeks anymore to complete the entire process. This sort of thing can't be sussed out?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:41 PM

984 posts, read 443,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Keep reading: WFH and Holidays are not equivalent!
Why would you say that at all? The poster didn't say "I was home on Monday for a holiday and I counted that as a WFH day."

But even so, asking a question would make you want to fire someone or revoke WFH status? I'm assuming you've never managed anyone before. Good grief, I field weird questions all the time. And this isn't even weird.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:01 PM

984 posts, read 443,433 times
Quote:
I don't understand how someone could hire someone that they don't trust in this way. Like what are the 5-6 rounds of panel interviews, extensive background checks, drug testing, and professional reference checks for? It takes 4-8 weeks anymore to complete the entire process. This sort of thing can't be sussed out?
I think some managers have an "us vs them" attitude with their underlings. I don't operate that way. If someone wants a day off, fine, no problem. If they want to switch some of their work from one day to another, great, go for it. I'm not a micromanager because I hate being micromanaged. Everyone on my team is remote now, but if someone was in the office on Tuesdays but wanted to spend a particular Tuesday at home, who cares? Go ahead! Just get your work done and I don't care where you do it. For all I know, some of my people are working from Starbucks. I do not care. Just get the assignments done properly and in on time and you will never hear a peep from me.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
I think some managers have an "us vs them" attitude with their underlings. I don't operate that way. If someone wants a day off, fine, no problem. If they want to switch some of their work from one day to another, great, go for it. I'm not a micromanager because I hate being micromanaged. Everyone on my team is remote now, but if someone was in the office on Tuesdays but wanted to spend a particular Tuesday at home, who cares? Go ahead! Just get your work done and I don't care where you do it. For all I know, some of my people are working from Starbucks. I do not care. Just get the assignments done properly and in on time and you will never hear a peep from me.
My teams don't work like that. In-person days and WFH days are based on specific activities and scheduled events and the schedules of others. Our support of work/life balance is pretty darn decent overall in part because our schedules--and how we cover them--are predictable.

The guy I referenced that keeps trying to find loopholes just can't wrap his head around how disruptive his requests would be. He was hired under somewhat difference circumstances (with actually less organization and predictability). He once asked if he could finish one workday per week 2.5 hours early and make it up by coming in early 2.5 hours early on another day. Except.....he would be leaving with approx 30% of the day's activities left to finish and he'd literally be alone for the 2.5 hours of make-up time, with no scheduled activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment