Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 06:43 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Is there a general recommendation as to how long someone should stay at a job before applying elsewhere?

While I know there is no automatic rule, I've always heard that one should work for a company for at least two years before thinking about moving on, in terms of having actual success in securing an interview. Do companies view you as being risky/less stable if they see you're looking to leave your job after 9 months or even a year? Curious to learn if anyone shares that thought and what your experience has been.
I think you just need to find a career trajectory that fits your preferences. If you want to serially job-hop, consider short-term gigs. There are plenty of employers that are hiring people for 6-month or 12-month terms, and for them, a history of job hopping is not a negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 08:56 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
I’ve been in the same job 12 years LOL. There’s no real rule

Old 01-01-2023, 07:49 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Generally, I think a year minimum. Long enough to learn to ropes, know the people, etc. Longer if a good environment. Maybe 2-3 years. But if you walk into a psycho ward, get out ASAP. Some places will ruin your attitude & health. My last job before present started out good but I saw after a month I needed to get out. Decent pay & excellent coworkers but very hostile environment. We had to get multiple approvals for the smallest project, then get yelled at when it got behind. Superintendent would have us gather at 5:15 every afternoon for meeting, then purposely wait until 5:30 to start the meeting, stealing 15-30 minutes of our time each day.

I spent 11 years at one place and should have left after 3-4. It could never settle down from mergers & reorganizations.

Look around your area and try to see what others do too. Customs vary.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:18 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
1 day
Based on personal experience

Old 01-02-2023, 02:29 AM

24,635 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Is there a general recommendation as to how long someone should stay at a job before applying elsewhere?
My last job wanted a 2 year commitment, or else they claimed they would ask for my relocation money back. I left after 1 year, they didn't ask for it back, and told me I was welcomed back anytime.

In my industry, you atleast want to give them 1-2 years so you can leave on good terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Companies who really want to work you to the bone (like mine) will pass on job hoppers.
Job hoppers would just "frame" their resume in a way that doesn't look like they job hopped. Same for people who have gaps in their resume.

You won't know you've hired a job hopper until they're already gone. That's the entire point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment