Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 04:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,331,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Yes. I'm glad I'm retired now. I don't have to deal with that bs and office politics and who do you like better?
Congratulations! Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 05:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,264,873 times
The worst I experienced was in health insurance: no background checks done, and anyone with a pulse but no business training was welcomed aboard. It was like a community college class with 90 percent females. And the worst ones were the younger ones. I couldn't believe the backstabbing and cliques and gossip! So glad that's over.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:43 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,331,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, there are always people everywhere who have no self-awareness, not just at work.
Exactly this^

While it may 'seem' like they think they are better than everyone else, it's more likely they are just completely oblivious to how they come across. I have a coworker like that now. They report to me, but don't recognize my experience, authority, or anything. This person annoys the hell out of me and gets under my skin, but when I take time to realize they are also a decent person, and probably don't WANT to be viewed like the overbearing person they are, I have to assume they are just poor with people skills, and unaware of how they come accross, even after many people tell them, it's always someone else's fault.

We all know these types. (Easy for me to say "just ignore them", but harder to do when they are under my skin.)

Old 06-23-2022, 06:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,291,000 times
I work with a bunch of nerds that I believe must have been bullied most of their lives and now that they have some power or seniority, they act like their better.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:53 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,860,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William S View Post
Anyone ever had to deal or had an experience with fellow employees who think they are better than everyone else. Who think are very important and also like to act arrogant.Or just think they are special and privileged . Also think they can get away with anything. Employees who think they are above other employees because of their seniority on the job and treat newer employees like they are trash .
Every team has stars. How they handle their strengths, is a measure of who they are. How you react, is a measure of who you are

Old 06-23-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Every team has stars. How they handle their strengths, is a measure of who they are. How you react, is a measure of who you are
Unfortunately, sometimes, one has to take matters into their own hands.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,478,494 times
Quote:

It's amazing how many people with great interpersonal skills are totally unable to communicate with those who don't behave in ways they expect. All those perfect people skills suddenly disappear.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,860,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes, one has to take matters into their own hands.
Why is that unfortunate?

Old 06-24-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Why is that unfortunate?
Unfortunate for the ones on the other end. But they've brought it on themselves.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:50 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,244,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William S View Post
Anyone ever had to deal or had an experience with fellow employees who think they are better than everyone else. Who think are very important and also like to act arrogant.Or just think they are special and privileged . Also think they can get away with anything. Employees who think they are above other employees because of their seniority on the job and treat newer employees like they are trash .
It does happen, and interpersonal skills are a big part of success at work.

To be successful, you need to both manage the team under you and the team over you. There will always be a big group of nowhere people at every workplace, even up to 50% of the staff. They are not part of your success. You need to manage up until you get to the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment