Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 12:02 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,469,850 times

Advertisements

Mehhh....ignore them or have fun with it or even "pretend" to admire them to illicit a reaction. Ask them questions or make remarks about how you look up to their knowledge and enlightenment. There are people of all types at work. These can be fun ones.

I actually made friends with one that was an iron man athlete. Some folks had issues with his loudness and thinking he was the master of his knowledge area. I thought he was funny, un politically correct, and engaged with him. We would sit and watch some of the marathons together on his streaming service at work. I didn't have a problem with him but at times thought during his participation in meetings "you need to watch your mouth, buddy." In the grand scheme of things, his mouthy ness and know it all'ism was not my problem.

If it's a boss, be careful. Mind your p's and q's and just do your thing and keep your head down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 12:02 PM

64 posts, read 96,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This sounds more like a frustrated rant than anything. Generalizing large swaths of employees in this manner probably isn't accurate or healthy for you.
Their are those types who think they are better or have an attitude problem on the job. Or worse accusing other employees thinking they are better.It depends on where you work.I have seen lazy type employees and unfriendly employees. I have a job at a bird seed plant and it is there.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:15 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Ironman moved on to a more lucrative opportunity, but I miss that guy. He was published and would send articles of himself that I would share with another friend. He told me some adventures he had overseas. He was "a higher knowledge level than the rest", "I know my stuff!" and I enjoyed every second of his loudness in the back of the office (either hearing it or walking over to visit).

I don't feel that way about those types usually but that guy was a gem if you were looking to smile and a shake your head. He got in a loud shouting argument in an office with a supervisor. The office has not been that interesting since.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,477,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This sounds more like a frustrated rant than anything.
Or projection.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:05 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
All the time. You'll find big egos everywhere.
+ 10! You can't change them, only how you respond to them.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:44 PM

102,254 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William S View Post
Anyone ever had to deal or had an experience with fellow employees who think they are better than everyone else. Who think are very important and also like to act arrogant.Or just think they are special and privileged . Also think they can get away with anything. Employees who think they are above other employees because of their seniority on the job and treat newer employees like they are trash .
I've run into this with volunteers who think they're experts on the relevant subject matter, even though some of them haven't even completed their BA's! Or maybe you could call them interns. It's bizarre. They presume to know better than people who have been active in the same field for 20-30 years. Instead of, you know---being open to learning from the more experienced people they're working among.

Getting a BA doesn't mean you're an expert; it means you're ready to learn the ropes of the field you've chosen, and dedicated two years (after your gen-ed requirements) to studying.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 863,257 times
they are everywhere, we got people that think they should be paid more just because they have kids, doing the same job but because of kids they should get $5 more an hour than single people

Old 05-04-2022, 07:21 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,330,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
they are everywhere, we got people that think they should be paid more just because they have kids, doing the same job but because of kids they should get $5 more an hour than single people
LOL. Some people think of all kinds of things that they feel entitled of, and they should have privileges such as having kids (like you mentioned) and they should be paid more, or having some kind of sickness and they just need to come to the workplace and don't need to work hard, but just sit there and talk and get paid. Or they just phone in sick often and still get paid. They think others should take their burdens for them because they are sick, they cannot do heavy work or as much as others, but they get the same pay. Many employees are so absurd.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,490,703 times
Yes, but it was in a place where I volunteered my time. Too many inbred clics who treated strangers like a disease. Too weird for me. I quit within a couple of days.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:52 AM

9,497 posts, read 5,281,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William S View Post
Anyone ever had to deal or had an experience with fellow employees who think they are better than everyone else. Who think are very important and also like to act arrogant.Or just think they are special and privileged . Also think they can get away with anything. Employees who think they are above other employees because of their seniority on the job and treat newer employees like they are trash .
Not really because I am/was better than any of THEM (minus the arrogant/special/privileged part).
I never cottoned to this in the workplace, the few times I ever actually experienced it. (rare). I was always as good as I could be at my work, did what I needed to do, and left office politics and high school nonsense alone.

You sound young and inexperienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment