Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,124,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Not really much of an Ayn Rand fan. Let's look at numbers. In FY22, Federal spending on various welfare and Medicaid programs will be somewhere around $1.4 TRILLION. Rather than a meager "0.001%" estimates are around 15% of welfare is fraudulent. (Welfare Fraud - Federal Safety Net). Amounting to just under $130 BILLION in 2020. Or nearly $1000 for every US taxpayer in fraud alone.

That's around $10,000 that every taxpayer has to cover for Federal welfare costs. Then add in State costs. Sum it all up and the welfare costs per taxpayer are more than many taxpayer's make.

Do you have the same compassion for the person paying that bill?
Federal Welfare Budget

Fun, Sortable Graphs

I would argue that we focus on cutting down on whatever fraud exists instead of dismantling the programs altogether for those who actually need them. Just as I would argue that we make it more difficult for the criminals to get their hands on guns rather than eliminating access to guns for law abiding citizens. How's that saying go? Welfare doesn't defraud itself, bad people defraud welfare. Or maybe I'm thinking of how guns don't kill people, but...anyway, all besides the point.

This is an issue that effects liberals and conservatives alike. Stripping those programs down to nothing will lead to a revolt like nothing you've ever seen before.

From the 1st link above:
Quote:
Although welfare programs are commonly argued to support the lazy, data does not show this to be true. In the current state, welfare programs predominantly help Americans who receive low wages. The U.S. Government Accountability Office discovered that the top employers of Americans enrolled in welfare programs were Walmart and McDonalds—companies who have historically paid their workers low wages.

* 53 percent of SNAP households included two or more employed members in 2019. [Source: United States Census Bureau]
* 31.8 percent of SNAP households included one employed member in 2019. [Source: United States Census Bureau]
* 48 percent of adults enrolled in Medicaid work at least a week. [Source: Government Accountability Office]
* 51 percent of adults enrolled in SNAP work at least 35 hours a week. [Source: Government Accountability Office]

Among employed adults enrolled in Medicaid and SNAP in 2018, 72 percent worked in the five industries who carry the highest concentrations of low-wage workers. [Source: Government Accountability Office]

More employed adults enrolled in Medicaid work for companies within the private sector than the public sector. [Source: Government Accountability Office]
Although the $1 trillion a year budget may seem large at first glance, the current welfare program supporting the 9.2 percent of Americans in poverty for 2020 puts the large problem of poverty into perspective. Without any government safety nets, those living in poverty would not have the proper help to survive or tools to get back on their feet. With a rise in credit card debt across America it is still important to find a solution to pull the citizens living paycheck to paycheck out of poverty.

Last edited by modest; 11-11-2021 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:34 AM

35,196 posts, read 31,510,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My employer (2,200 employees) has a hiring freeze until 1/2022, and we had many earlier than planned retirements due to Covid. We have another bunch leaving due to the vaccination mandate. The result is that we now have over 150 positions to fill after the first of the year, the salaries ranging from $60-200k. HR had to quickly hire more recruiters, but it's going to take a long time to get them all hired, especially if people are still not willing to work or only want to work from home. We are offering only hybrid.
The issue for a lot of WFH personnel is that it's going to take a lot to dislodge those people from those positions. I don't even like where I work, the benefits are not good, there is a lot of workplace politics/drama, etc., but it would things would need to get a lot worse before I'd want to take even a hybrid position.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The issue for a lot of WFH personnel is that it's going to take a lot to dislodge those people from those positions. I don't even like where I work, the benefits are not good, there is a lot of workplace politics/drama, etc., but it would things would need to get a lot worse before I'd want to take even a hybrid position.
I'd consider hybrid, especially in the beginning. While all the tools and resources are there to learn a new job remotely, some people are just terrible at facilitating that learning to a new employee. So for that reason alone, I'd prefer to have some in office time in the beginning. Once I get the job down, I'd probably prefer to work 4/5 days from home on average.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:05 AM

12,901 posts, read 9,158,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I would argue that we focus on cutting down on whatever fraud exists instead of dismantling the programs altogether for those who actually need them. Just as I would argue that we make it more difficult for the criminals to get their hands on guns rather than eliminating access to guns for law abiding citizens. How's that saying go? Welfare doesn't defraud itself, bad people defraud welfare.
:
I don't think there's anyone who argues against helping those who actually need help. The argument is about those who are able bodied to work but don't.

Quote:
the proper help to survive or tools to get back on their feet. With a rise in credit card debt across America it is still important to find a solution to pull the citizens living paycheck to paycheck out of poverty.:
There are many of us who argue that welfare doesn't help people get back on their feet but instead keeps them buried in a cycle of poverty that goes on for generations. We have whole generations now who know nothing but welfare. Our economy grows when people work and contribute, not depend on others to do it for them.

Again, I ask, where is the compassion for those who work and pay taxes to pay the welfare bills? Where is the endless supply of money going to come from?

Old 11-11-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's anyone who argues against helping those who actually need help. The argument is about those who are able bodied to work but don't.

There are many of us who argue that welfare doesn't help people get back on their feet but instead keeps them buried in a cycle of poverty that goes on for generations. We have whole generations now who know nothing but welfare. Our economy grows when people work and contribute, not depend on others to do it for them.

Again, I ask, where is the compassion for those who work and pay taxes to pay the welfare bills? Where is the endless supply of money going to come from?
Tell that to employers. They won't hire these people without the appropriate credentials, experience, education, stellar records, aptitudes, etc. You know why? It's for the same reasons you're giving me now: We're not a charity, we're a business. I have all sorts of experience, credible work history, education, and intelligence, and it is insanely difficult for even me to land a job that pays well enough to support my family. How do you think these people are going to fare when they only have a fraction of what I have at my disposal?

If you want to cut off welfare, fine! Do it, I dare you. But you better be ready to provide them with jobs that they will be hired for, trained up for, and be paid well enough for that they're not still in need of welfare (looking at you, Walmart/McDonalds/etc). Otherwise, you're gonna have quite the mess on your hands.

Good...luck...with...that!

Last edited by modest; 11-11-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-11-2021, 10:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,748,847 times
But they all have Liberal Arts Degrees. At least they are educated, elite, unemployed

Old 11-11-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I'd consider hybrid, especially in the beginning. While all the tools and resources are there to learn a new job remotely, some people are just terrible at facilitating that learning to a new employee. So for that reason alone, I'd prefer to have some in office time in the beginning. Once I get the job down, I'd probably prefer to work 4/5 days from home on average.
If you have a lot of domain and industry experience, it's easier to learn remotely. Not ideal, but possible.

We just hired a level 1 analyst right out of college. As far as I can tell from the resume, the guy has never held a salaried job. He just graduated with a computer science degree.

I've had to teach him how to long on to servers, why he needs to put in time, how to use WebEx, how to use the ticketing system, etc. He has basically no work experience of any kind.

He doesn't want to come into the office because he lives with immunocompromised people. Training him has been a nightmare. I like the guy and he seems eager to learn, but we simply don't have the hours it takes to remotely train someone with no experience at all.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you have a lot of domain and industry experience, it's easier to learn remotely. Not ideal, but possible.

We just hired a level 1 analyst right out of college. As far as I can tell from the resume, the guy has never held a salaried job. He just graduated with a computer science degree.

I've had to teach him how to long on to servers, why he needs to put in time, how to use WebEx, how to use the ticketing system, etc. He has basically no work experience of any kind.

He doesn't want to come into the office because he lives with immunocompromised people. Training him has been a nightmare. I like the guy and he seems eager to learn, but we simply don't have the hours it takes to remotely train someone with no experience at all.
I agree. I love learning on my own, online. I've made a living doing it.

Learning remotely is a terrible experience when those training you are not available or are non-existent to begin with and you're just left to figure it all out on your own.

It's hard enough these days to get any sort of training out of a new employer. It's even harder when you're out of sight, out of mind.

This is how a recent client treated our onboarding when I began consulting for them. Thankfully, I'll be out of there in less than a month.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I have had ups and downs in my life.

I had a negative net worth at age 31 and didn't hit mean HHI until I was about 28. I've never been without a job for more than a few weeks, and have never taken a government benefit. I've paid a ton in taxes, and benefits, aside from what would benefit anyone in society, have been basically nil.

I'm an upper middle income, legally single white guy. "The system" is not set up for folks like me.

If I had a live-in girlfriend that I had pregnant, never married, she could get benefits. Feign a disability and get those. It's just not set up to benefit honest, working people.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I agree. I love learning on my own, online. I've made a living doing it.

Learning remotely is a terrible experience when those training you are not available or are non-existent to begin with and you're just left to figure it all out on your own.

It's hard enough these days to get any sort of training out of a new employer. It's even harder when you're out of sight, out of mind.

This is how a recent client treated our onboarding when I began consulting for them. Thankfully, I'll be out of there in less than a month.
I don't know what companies expect.

I thought this was guy was way too green. We had a team call after the interview, and I basically said, "no, I wouldn't hire him because he's too green, unless you need someone in a seat that badly. We simply don't have the resources to give the guy the attention he needs."

What've the past two weeks been for him? A bunch of CBLs. A few hours here and there with 3/4 of us trying to give him some training virtually between crises.

We need someone with more skills and experience who can pick things up more quickly. He needs a true "first job" out of college, where he can get the training and mentoring he needs.

We're doing a bang-up job at both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment