Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:36 PM

779 posts, read 432,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll put it in few words,
do you really want to work for a place that "hires people on the spot"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
A couple of times when places were really desperate for people. It's a BAD sign. No one wanted to work there because the work was hard, the boss was a jerk, and the pay stunk.
I would agree there are definitely instances where it could be a bad sign. But I wouldn't totally write-off a company that does this. It all depends on the circumstances.

In my case it was an entry level position with a decent number of positions to fill. They were on-boarding groups of 8-12 at a time then sending us through training. In that case you are screening for qualifications (this was mostly 2yr technical degrees and/or veterans who had a technical job in the service), and then interviewing to see if they'd be a good candidate. For those positions I don't see much value in having multiple interviews up the food chain with higher management. It was more they have the background, interviewed well, give them a shot.

This was not a sinking ship or fly-by-night operation. Large international corporation that's a leader in their field. Everyone still had to go through typical due diligence (employment/education verification, background check, drug test, etc). It was offering a job on the spot with an asterisk. Not you start tomorrow and we'll take your word you aren't a felon for stealing from your previous employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:38 PM

9,517 posts, read 8,601,610 times
Put another way, I recently went through a series of 9......NINE......separate interviews to work for a large financial firm. Everyone there was great and nearly everyone had serious tenure, 15 years or more for most everyone. They ended up promoting someone internally but as much as I hated having to go through that 9 separate times, I sort of understood why they were such a great company to work for. They are very careful about who they hire and once hired, folks want to stay.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:39 PM

5,158 posts, read 4,670,544 times
I've been working for this company for 5 years. It's a promotion.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,230,137 times
Back in the days before the internet, I answered an employment advertisement in the newspaper. Someone picked up the phone at the sign company and said the usual "Aloha S___ Signs, can I help you?" I got as far as "hi, I'm calling about the job in the newspaper" and they called me by name and said 'you're hired, get in here now!'. I had to ask them where they were and eventually figured out the owner of the company who had answered the phone was an acquaintance of mine.

He later had to go to the mainland to take care of his parents, so I was delivering a finished sign to an engineering firm where someone I'd worked with at a different engineering company was working. I'd mentioned to them that if they needed any more work on the sign, they'd have to have it done soon since the company was closing in several weeks. So, they hired me on the spot to work in their office.

Hmm, come to think on it, I don't think I've ever interviewed for a job where I didn't get the job except for once. In that one, I was second runner up in a group of fifty, but second place doesn't get the job. I also wasn't related to the right people. Oh, unless the time I gave them my resume before they wrote the job description counts as having to wait to find out?

Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 AM

37,312 posts, read 41,805,054 times
One of my sons recently went into an office as a client and walked out with a job.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:02 AM

17,833 posts, read 22,638,770 times
Quote:
Depends........if they need you because of crazy growth then "YES"

or if they need you to replace the 3 people they just fired......"probably not"

My buddy just got fired from a local Ford dealer after 5 yrs there when a high end Italian dealership called to verify his references. Ford said: "Are you looking to leave" and my buddy said yeah if I can work there I'll make more money. Ford said, don't come back we don't need you. The Italian dealership didn't hire anyone, job is still vacant.

6 weeks on the couch, collecting the Covid money + state unemployment and Ford manager that was the tough guy gets fired. Service manager called for 2 weeks begging my buddy to return. Nothing was really panning out, he took his old job back.......... So sometimes "on the spot" can be good.......

Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,214,263 times
I had an offer about 15 minutes after leaving the final interview once. But not on the spot.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:04 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,872,136 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's how I have the job I have. You must be one of those who think people need to be dragged through 6 interviews, 4 credit checks, 2 colonoscopies and a psych eval.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM

10,036 posts, read 8,818,530 times
I once got a job in the middle of the interview after I told him a joke using my Popeye voice.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:15 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,669,554 times
A friend was driving a taxicab during the 2009 recession, two customers started to talk about some issue that he resolved in his previous job. He offered the solution and explained it in details. They told him to come with them to the office and hired him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment