Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 01:41 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post

It would work well sleep wise to always be awake at night and asleep during the day. But that just makes you dependent on the hospital to meet your social needs since you’ll never have out with anyone outside of your job. I don’t want to live that life
Why not? Typically your sleep schedule with your work schedule should have you sleeping somewhere in the range of 9AM-5PM. That still leaves plenty of evening/night hours on your days off to go to dinner, movies, have drinks, etc. Most of those activities don't happen until after 5PM anyway as most people are off working their day job.

Like anything else in life, it's a series of compromises. If you're not on a consistent routine, though, your sleep and health will suffer. I did night shift for a number of years in my early 20s. I'm a night owl by nature, so it is a shift that can work for me. Even now in my early 40s I could still do it, although it'd be a lot tougher with my family responsibilities. Night shift is not for everyone, and it's clearly not working for you. So, find something that works better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 02:49 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
You could change jobs to one that suits you better and fulfill your desire of helping people by volunteering in your spare time.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post

I’m looking to be careful about what I do, not leaving this place before I get a different job. Day shift is definitely a possibility, altho they are often understaffed as well and are worked harder because of therapies, meals, and additional toileting needs during the day. What happens is they don’t have time to shower people and often don’t have patience for residents because of the lack of time.

I’ll definitely need a day time position. I’ll look into it quickly.
It seems like just switching to daytime would at least resolve the most pressing problem, which is trying to adjust your body to night shift work.

You're already dealing with short staff, etc, but at least you wouldn't be so damn tired.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:13 PM

68 posts, read 25,709 times
I was a substitute teachers assistant in special education 25 years ago. Worked for the County Office of Education. Right now they are hiring at about $18 per hr which is pretty low for a sub teachers aide. Back then it was about $5 more than min wage. Min wage has been increasing fast here in California though. $1 per hour for the last few years until it hits $15 per hr.

The day is only a little over 6 hrs. Summers & holidays off if you choose or you can choose to work Summer School which is just 4 hrs. The kids are vegetables though. A few were attached to tubes when it was time to eat. Back then I was shown how but had to leave the room due to the smell. It smells in that school.

It was very dreary in that school however I believe that is the building itself, depressing.

You could be a substitute teachers assistant in just those particular classes.

Later, become a Substitute Teacher (nothing different). Both are hands on, except the Teacher does an IEP once a year. And is expected to continue their education to some degree.

It's diapering & feeding but you are never in a hurry. Two Aides to one Teacher. Sprinkle in some music, s, a few toddler games, and that's the day. Play with play dough. You've educated them. Very easy.

The Teachers who do this are strange. They seem socially awkward and they are really fat. They love the one male teacher in the building, he gets alot of attention since it's a female dominated world in that particular school. The Teachers Aides range in age.

Not sure if you live in a big city but if so, it would be the comraderie you desire, still being with younger people of your own age, but a better job. Teachers Assistants & Aides receive a pension after 10 yrs or so, not sure how long.

Since it's basically a non-thinking job, it's easy to continue schooling or anything else you want to do. I'd get off work, as a substitute teachers aid, then do my thinking job (my business) from home.

Maybe you could meet a nice girl and get married. One of you could become a nurse and qualify to foster medically fragile babies in your house if your state has a program like ours. https://angelsinwaitingusa.org/nurses-needed

You both would be doing the job of course. We knew a couple, about 4-5 years ago, who did it about 1/4 of the year. Basically working 24/7 paid about $15 hr (no overtime) plus the $1500 stipend. That's about 32K a year plus about $5k in a Stipend. I believe there are other monies given too such as for clothes & diapers.

They realized that if they both worked f/t, they wouldn't have much more $ so they travel alot. They just go missing for 3-4 months out of the year, not really seeing or talking to many folks due to the 24/7 work schedule. They trade off snow skiing and just maintain their friends enough having them over for dinner and such.

Once you get one baby out of the red, you really should take time off before accepting another. Some of the Nurses ended up bonding to the babies and adopted them themselves. These babies come with a stipend & medicaid until they turn 18 years old. Anyhow you seem the kind of person who would love doing this. Marry an RN, use her license and you can work together. Everyone loves people like that and you seem to understand denying your desire to help people, which in turn provides a bond with others you work with, is what you need. I totally agree with you. You are only 25 but seem to have a wise insight into yourself, good for you

Old 08-29-2020, 04:59 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It seems like just switching to daytime would at least resolve the most pressing problem, which is trying to adjust your body to night shift work.

You're already dealing with short staff, etc, but at least you wouldn't be so damn tired.
Day shift is the hardest in terms of work though. Most residents are sleeping. Dayshift has 10 or 15 people to wash, dress and get out of bed. 3-11 isn’t bad. It’s easier to undress someone and put them to bed than the opposite, and they don’t fight you as much getting into bed as getting out of it.

Day shift in a hospital is easier though as they don’t put clothes on people nor get them out of bed normally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment