Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 12:45 PM

22,195 posts, read 13,365,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Same. I still don't have a clear idea of how often i'll be expected to go in when asked to return...but i'm considering leaving if they want me there more than I'd like to be. It's ridiculous. You can't expect people to be happy about going back to the office after WFH for a year and a half.
I'm eligible for retirement and have proposed going back part-time... I'm simply not willing to go back to what I was doing pre-WFH and honestly can't see myself doing it. If my request is honored, I'll try it for a while and see how I like it. If my request is denied, then I SHOULD be willing to retire. I hope I have the nerve if it comes to that!

Old 03-31-2021, 01:27 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,418,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No, they are throwing the increased productivity down the drain.
Agreed

Old 03-31-2021, 01:41 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,792,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Its the radical pro office workers fault!!!!!
Yeah, the "radical pro-teleworker!!!" schtick a certain user keeps repeating is not helping to garner empathy for their argument.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:43 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,121,175 times
Increased WFH opportunities are inevitable here in the United States because of the bold infrastructure plans revealed by President Biden.

Biden's big infrastructure plan targets broadband access, puts subsidy programs on notice

Quote:
"While the President recognizes that individual subsidies to cover internet costs may be needed in the short term, he believes continually providing subsidies to cover the cost of overpriced internet service is not the right long-term solution for consumers or taxpayers," the fact sheet explains. "Americans pay too much for the internet – much more than people in many other countries – and the President is committed to working with Congress to find a solution to reduce internet prices for all Americans, increase adoption in both rural and urban areas, hold providers accountable, and save taxpayer money."

Old 03-31-2021, 01:53 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,550,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Yeah, the "radical pro-teleworker!!!" schtick a certain user keeps repeating is not helping to garner empathy for their argument.
Isn't 'teleworker' an outdated term anyway derived from terms such as telephone, teletype and telegraph? Up to date terminology would be remote worker or offsite worker.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Isn't 'teleworker' an outdated term anyway derived from terms such as telephone, teletype and telegraph? Up to date terminology would be remote worker or offsite worker.
The prefix "tele-" means "long-distance," so same-same...

Old 03-31-2021, 01:57 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,792,225 times
Quote:
Not exactly.

According to Merriam-Webster, "tele" is a greek word that means "far off."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...20device%20has

Old 03-31-2021, 01:59 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,550,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The prefix "tele-" means "long-distance," so same-same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not exactly.

According to Merriam-Webster, "tele" is a greek word that means "far off."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...20device%20has
Interesting. We learn something new everyday, even remotely.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting. We learn something new everyday, even remotely.
I would suggest ESPECIALLY remotely.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:34 PM

18,570 posts, read 15,738,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
For me personally, the perfect scenario is permanent WFH with quarterly visits to the home office just so people remember how pleasant I am to be around in person.

BTW, calling people who want to keep working from home "radical" is silly given that it seems to be the majority regardless of who you ask. I know it's just a ploy to reshape the narrative but ultimately it comes across as disingenuous and manipulative. It didn't work for Kelly Loeffler and it won't work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbX5pcwyio
People who want to keep working from home are mostly non-radical, but there is a vocal minority that insist that offices are dead and that mandatory work from home is acceptable or even good ( despite indoor dining being open which is much higher risk.) You and many others here are not the people I am referring to. One or two here and a few in the media are quite radical .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment