Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I look at things like this. I have an interest in my employer to the extent they pay me to do so. I’m not personally invested in them. If they can find a better deal, they’ll move on from me quickly.

We’re all essentially temping.
While this may be how you look at it, this isn't how everyone looks or feels about it. Using this logic doesn't explain the folks who work for the same company for 17 years.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Working from my sofa? How dismissive! How insulting! I work from my recliner.
I am working from my reclining couch right now.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:57 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
That is what happened with us. Now they took advantage of this and are remodeling our building so we are all full time WFH. For me personally, my commute is only 18-20 minutes. I enjoy being around co workers. We have an employee gym. Enjoyed going there.

We could WFH during inclement weather.

I have been WFH fulltime for 6 months now. Since we don't have kids, it feels like I am confined to my room all day, no walking the halls, going to the gym, meeting with others. I work out in my garage early in the am (pretty seriously which takes a lot of gumption and the majority of the days energy to get revved up about being there) and come upstairs to sit in my room for 8 hours. Good golly what torture.....and I feel like a slug all day, don't have the motivation to go out and walk the neighborhood in the middle of the day, sitting in my room demotivates. So for some, WFH is great, for me, it is one day at a time "endure this."

I really enjoy my job. Ideally I would like to WFH a couple days a week and go to the office the other days.
I absolutely do not want to go back to the office on more than a one day per week basis.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:38 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,765,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
That is what happened with us. Now they took advantage of this and are remodeling our building so we are all full time WFH. For me personally, my commute is only 18-20 minutes. I enjoy being around co workers. We have an employee gym. Enjoyed going there.

We could WFH during inclement weather.

I have been WFH fulltime for 6 months now. Since we don't have kids, it feels like I am confined to my room all day, no walking the halls, going to the gym, meeting with others. I work out in my garage early in the am (pretty seriously which takes a lot of gumption and the majority of the days energy to get revved up about being there) and come upstairs to sit in my room for 8 hours. Good golly what torture.....and I feel like a slug all day, don't have the motivation to go out and walk the neighborhood in the middle of the day, sitting in my room demotivates. So for some, WFH is great, for me, it is one day at a time "endure this."

I really enjoy my job. Ideally I would like to WFH a couple days a week and go to the office the other days.
Working from home in the winter time would be wonderful. I am not going to miss those cold walks down the street to the train in the morning. Go into the office from May to October and WFH November to April

Old 09-03-2020, 05:51 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Working from home in the winter time would be wonderful. I am not going to miss those cold walks down the street to the train in the morning. Go into the office from May to October and WFH November to April
That is the advantage of being able to WFH in the winter time, especially during bad weather. I remember a number of years ago when our jobs relocated for a bit to another state (that's how I got started on cd, asking about areas to live) and one year they had record snowfalls. There was a blizzard one morning and I could hear a car trying to get down the road, he was sliding back and forth and revving up his engine. Both my husb and I watched out the window, knowing this guy had to get to work and was doing everything possible to get there. I was so glad for WFH. I agree, winter is no fun to drive in!

Old 09-03-2020, 05:52 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I absolutely do not want to go back to the office on more than a one day per week basis.
More power to you. Nothing wrong with that. I personally like the office.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:55 AM

828 posts, read 418,940 times
A lot of companies are finding remote work is a lot less productive. And I doubt they will be willing to increase cost and hire more to get the same amount of work.
To many taking advantage and think it is part vacation.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:51 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,331,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz
Working from my sofa? How dismissive! How insulting! I work from my recliner.
Quote:
ss20ts
Quote:
I am working from my reclining couch right now.
I know someone who "worked" naked in bed. He told me he had his computer on, and the meeting would not be at, said, 9:30 AM, so he wanted to sleep a little longer. Oh my goodness. He also takes showers and breaks to eat and drink during the working days. I don't know how he could do like that? Don't know how his employer keeps track of the employees? I just don't know what to tell/teach him anymore. He argues too much. Yelling does not help. Talking nicely does not help. I just shook my head thinking if he were my employee, and if I knew, I would not want him to work for me at all. Too bad, he's my son. I don't know what to do.

People may question why I still let him to live at home with us (me and my husband). The reason is he does not have a permanent, stable job. And especially at this time, how can I kick him out? I feel that is very cruel because he's my son. Even the governments have to support their citizens by giving them emergency funds for so many months. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm heart broken. I feel so tired, that's why I have to post it here to vent. My younger son is so responsible and independent. He has a good job for a few years already since after his graduation. He lives on his own. He did not give me so much pain when he was still living at home. Really, when you have children, you see everybody is different. You have joys and pains. Sorry, this may sound more like it needs to be in the parenting or psychology forum.

Back to the subject, WFH is good for many people, and it's not right for others who are lazy and dishonest.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 09-03-2020 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 09:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
A lot of companies are finding remote work is a lot less productive. And I doubt they will be willing to increase cost and hire more to get the same amount of work.
To many taking advantage and think it is part vacation.

That should not be a surprise. This was not a WFH trial that was carefully planned and resourced, it was something thrust suddenly on companies and many did not have the proper resources or processes for it.

To compare a WFH process thrown together quickly without warning to an office process that has been refined over the history of the company is ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,734,010 times
Just to play devil advocates, for the folks who are bothered by the fact that employees don't have their "ass in seat" staring at the computer screen for 8 hours, or are working in the nude, or are sleeping in later:

Why does it matter when and how people do their work as long as they get the job done? Honest question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment