Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:01 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,582,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post

1. I need to get at least a year on my resume before I can hop; and
No you don't. Those days are gone....long gone. Job hopping was once a bit of a negative on one's resume, now it's more or less expected. This, of course, assumes you haven't job hopped 38 times in the past 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 10:06 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,181,949 times
Quote:
So I think my boss is bi-polar. He has extreme mood swings. He's aware and apologize, but it's like being with an abusive spouse. He apologizes, brings me flowers, then says it'll never happen again. Not really, but you get the point. And I'm getting tired of it. Thing is, 2 things:

2. This whole pandemic has shown me one thing. I want to WFH full-time or at the very least, 1/2 time. So that's my focus for the next job - because even if my current job allows this, I still have to work with said nutso bi-polar boss.
Who told you to wait at least a year? I quit job a job after 2 months, when my new employer offered 30% more money.

From application to first day of a new job, it takes about 2-3 months for a white collar job. If you started applying today, you wouldn't start a new job until June in most cases.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-27-2020 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,948,979 times
Quote:
So I think my boss is bi-polar. He has extreme mood swings. He's aware and apologize, but it's like being with an abusive spouse. He apologizes, brings me flowers, then says it'll never happen again. Not really, but you get the point. And I'm getting tired of it. Thing is, 2 things:

2. This whole pandemic has shown me one thing. I want to WFH full-time or at the very least, 1/2 time. So that's my focus for the next job - because even if my current job allows this, I still have to work with said nutso bi-polar boss.

I think you need to give more thought to transitioning out of the legal industry. They are not immune to economic shocks and this grueling environment you describe will not change or improve, ever.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:30 AM

12,104 posts, read 17,218,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No you don't. Those days are gone....long gone. Job hopping was once a bit of a negative on one's resume, now it's more or less expected. This, of course, assumes you haven't job hopped 38 times in the past 3 years.
I'd say more like ... if you job hop yearly, it's too much.

I know there's posters here who say they do that ... hop yearly, and even more often, I can't even imagine who these people are.

It takes a month or two just to learn a new job assuming you come from a tangential job.

If you have something like 4 years, and then 1, then it's fine.

I certainly wouldn't offer a job to a person who has been at 3 jobs in 3 years, however I would... offer an entry level job to that person if they could convince me they wanted change.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 AM

299 posts, read 163,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I guess my question would be ... if you're going to work for another corporate law firm, what will change?
A valid question. I thought that this boss would become more bearable when I didn't have to see him daily. But instead, his behavior got worse and I'm more miserable as a result. And I'm in my pajamas!

I've tried other fields, and then realized that I really like this kind of work. I have had great jobs and bosses in the past when I was younger. So I know they are out there. The particular legal field I'm in attracts the more laid back, sci-fi loving person, vs. the crazy egomaniac litigator types. But somehow this guy is here. I'm surprised he's not a litigator.

Anyway, I think what I'd be looking for is similar type of work, but a firm that embraces WFH and is up to date with the supporting technology. I have a friend who's doing full-time WFH and she's really enjoying it. Problem is, it's a small outfit so it's not like I could get hired there. BUT, this means other places exist.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 17,218,346 times
Quote:
A valid question. I thought that this boss would become more bearable when I didn't have to see him daily. But instead, his behavior got worse and I'm more miserable as a result. And I'm in my pajamas!

I've tried other fields, and then realized that I really like this kind of work. I have had great jobs and bosses in the past when I was younger. So I know they are out there. The particular legal field I'm in attracts the more laid back, sci-fi loving person, vs. the crazy egomaniac litigator types. But somehow this guy is here. I'm surprised he's not a litigator.

Anyway, I think what I'd be looking for is similar type of work, but a firm that embraces WFH and is up to date with the supporting technology. I have a friend who's doing full-time WFH and she's really enjoying it. Problem is, it's a small outfit so it's not like I could get hired there. BUT, this means other places exist.
Patent law?

Yea, if that's the case, then I'd switch.

In my case, when I started this job it was average if not on the 'good' end of jobs I've had in this field, and now it's slowly moving the bottom.

You always need a point of reference...

I'd say you likely have to wait it out. May even benefit you if you get laid off. I'm half hoping I do. I have several years here, so I can certainly explain getting laid off during COVID.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM

299 posts, read 163,716 times
Hey everyone,

I hear both sides of the argument - staying a year or not. My last job was 9 months, litigation, horrible. So that's why I feel I need at a least a year here. Before that my resume was really solid, 4-5 yrs one job 7, another. So I don't want it to look like I'm a hopper.

Yep, patents. He's definitely outside the norm at my firm, but of course I end up with him. Everyone else is mild-mannered.

Tencent: I know you think I should leave fields. But the thing is, I did do that. I was a writer and a manager. And guess what? A-holes abound whereever you go. But I personally enjoy the work itself moreso than those other careers. I don't think firms are immune to economics, I know there's no guarantee. But I've definitely had less grueling than this job. Much less. Most of the pain is dealing with this sociopath.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:34 PM

5,158 posts, read 4,664,357 times
Yes. My manager continues to bully me, even working from home.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,181,949 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I hear both sides of the argument - staying a year or not. My last job was 9 months, litigation, horrible. So that's why I feel I need at a least a year here. Before that my resume was really solid, 4-5 yrs one job 7, another. So I don't want it to look like I'm a hopper.

Yep, patents. He's definitely outside the norm at my firm, but of course I end up with him. Everyone else is mild-mannered.

Tencent: I know you think I should leave fields. But the thing is, I did do that. I was a writer and a manager. And guess what? A-holes abound whereever you go. But I personally enjoy the work itself moreso than those other careers. I don't think firms are immune to economics, I know there's no guarantee. But I've definitely had less grueling than this job. Much less. Most of the pain is dealing with this sociopath.
This statement explains everything. I agree. I would not do back-to-back job changes with only a year at both positions. It doesn't look for good for somebody that has been study for 11-12 years to jump ship twice in a row.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM

37,858 posts, read 46,498,888 times
Quote:
I thought working from home would make my boss more bearable, but instead he's gotten even more neurotic and demanding. The other night, he sent me 7 emails in succession, 4 minutes apart. None of it was substantive, just nagging type emails.

Every day I log in I think - when this is all over - time to leave.
Oh my no. I am working from home, and I have zero issues with it other than I miss seeing my co-workers. Very glad I don't have a boss like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment