Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,419,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I do not know any companies here who offer additional leave but if they do it would be to attract and maintain staff. That is one reason long service leave has been retained although it is no longer needed to enable people to go "home" to the UK by ship.

Some of the public service and a few other employers also offer Flexi time, where you can accrue your unpaid overtime to use later, as you like. DD has a part-time position where she has flex. She is on a list of people who have been more or less ordered to start using up some of their accrued leave as she has so much. But she finds it hard to use it as you tend to be under a lot of time pressure in part time roles.

Australians actually are on the higher side for the number of hours worked. All this leave is very often used to provide a cash payout when retiring or when changing jobs. Sick leave is usually not cumulative but when people get a serious illness they can be very glad they have a few months worth of leave to add to their sick leave.
When I left my Sydney job to transfer to the US I had something like 20 days banked in 3 years so I was happy to take the payout.

I also know that job sharing is an option for some positions, which can work well if a person wants to work 2-3 days a week but still have a professional role.

Isn’t Long Service Leave required by law? In that case it’s not a retention benefit per se, just par for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 01:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,494,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Oh, bull. "People like you" are too quick to find someone else to blame for their own failings. Claiming we have somehow "knocked rungs off of the ladder" is laughable on it's face... too many people have simply chosen to be too lazy to reach for them. If the rungs aren't placed right in front of them, closely spaced, and with a white stool in front of them; it's easier to moan about how the New America is screwing them. *******s. It's 100% self-serving tripe. It's the same excuse a kindergartner uses... "But it isn't faaaiiirrr!" That used to be one of the lessons in grade school, that life isn't fair, and that you need to create your own success. Now, we just teach the kiddies to moan, wail, protest, and stand in front of traffic. I'd laugh if it wasn't so freaking pathetic.

What do you gain by complaining like this? Do you really think someone is going to step in and "fix things" if you moan loudly and for long enough? Wouldn't it just be easier to suck it up, accept responsibility for your own life, and make the effort needed to succeed?
I'm in charge of an entire platform for a global multibillion dollar company. I'm doing just fine, thanks. My concern is for younger people trying to climb the ladder today.

Perhaps you've heard of empathy?

Old 02-04-2020, 04:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,487,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was chatting with a vendor who is Australian now works for a US company. He said he was shocked that Americans only get 2-4 weeks of vacation. He said in Australia you start with 2 months and some with 3-4 month vacation after working for a few years. He's traveled almost every continent but now he has to work for it in America.
I could understand that with rollover, but why would you hire someone for them to be gone 1/3 of the year?

That's too much vacation to give anyone. An empty seat for 3-4 MONTHS each year?

Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,487,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Ask him about working in Singapore.
Or Japan. Honda (even in USA) expects employees to keep absences under 1% or face termination.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,277,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm in charge of an entire platform for a global multibillion dollar company. I'm doing just fine, thanks. My concern is for younger people trying to climb the ladder today.

Perhaps you've heard of empathy?
Employer worshipers have no empathy.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:10 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,466,408 times
I'm shocked that Australians have to be watchful at the beach or be eaten by giant crocodiles.
I feel like I'm way ahead.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:01 AM

7,357 posts, read 7,009,014 times
I have lived in the US all my life and mostly worked in California and had a few jobs that I got no vacation time at all.
The few times I had vacation times due, I worked in sted.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:52 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,933,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm shocked that Australians have to be watchful at the beach or be eaten by giant crocodiles.
I feel like I'm way ahead.
Pfft! The crocs are only by the water; the snakes are everywhere!

Old 02-05-2020, 02:57 PM

89,209 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Already know this statement is wrong. No jobs starts with personal leave, holiday leave, and sick leave already in the bank. You have to accrue leave and vest retirement benefits.
Not true.

When I started my first "real" job, it came with 13 days vacation the first year. I started in January. My friend wanted to take a vacation in May and asked me to go with her. I asked if I could take a week off in May, and they said, "Of course!"

I did have to wait a year to be vested in the retirement system.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-16-2020 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 AM

11,419 posts, read 7,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not true.

When I started my first "real" job, it came with 13 days vacation the first year. I started in January. My friend wanted to take a vacation in May and asked me to go with her. I asked if I could take a week off in May, and they said, "Of course!"

I did have to wait a year to be vested in the retirement system.
My company offers 20 days to everyone newly hired. After 5 years you get 25 days and after 10 years you get 30 days. And I’ve never felt like taking it was discouraged. In fact quite the opposite. As the end our fiscal year gets closer, I get emails from my boss reminding me of how much vacation I still have.

Not all US companies are miserly when it comes to vacation.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-16-2020 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: my own typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment