Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
In addition to my weekly 1:1, my manager likes to drop random, without any context, 1:1 invites to chat. Being laid off before in my career, I always get super paranoid. Usually he just wants to chat about something I'm working on or give me an update on something. They are usually quick and unsubstantial. I don't understand why he can't just msg me but instead has to set up a formal call with me...
When you did go through a layoff previously, how were you told about it? Did your manager put a one-on-one on your calendar?

Usually when there is a layoff or an employee is going to be fired, they don't schedule a meeting for that. It usually happens on a Friday where someone asks the employee to step-in to a conference room. There usually a few other people there like the hiring manager's manager, and someone from HR.

If I think I need more time to discuss something with an employee I will schedule an extra one-on-one, and it has been to discuss what they are working on and that the schedule needs to be changed and I want their feedback. Or they might be working with someone in another area of the company and I want to discuss the expectations for them doing that. I also want them to tell me how they feel they are doing and if there are having any problems I need to know about, cause my job is to remove obstacles so they can work easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 06:04 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
Quote:
In addition to my weekly 1:1, my manager likes to drop random, without any context, 1:1 invites to chat. Being laid off before in my career, I always get super paranoid. Usually he just wants to chat about something I'm working on or give me an update on something. They are usually quick and unsubstantial. I don't understand why he can't just msg me but instead has to set up a formal call with me...
Ask him to include an agenda or topic for the conversation so that you can prepare in advance. As for as the random chats. Perhaps he feels it's better to give you a heads up instead of interrupting your work.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Depends on the rapport.

My one boss did impromptu chats I enjoyed his feedback and suggestions.

The current boss..is militant. So I know going in I'm going to be challenged and asked to defend why I do something a certain way. It's a bit insulting done under the guise that he just wants to understand the process.
He has 20 years of knowing the industry so if he doesn't know yet why something is done to complete the task..it's on him. I dread those principal style chats.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
My new boss likes to randomly drop by and discuss my flaws or lack of update in project. It irritates me & often times I don't even remember everything I have been doing because I am not prepared for it and in past most of my managers did not spent any time with me. Left me alone for most part except mid year review & end of year review.

But this guy is different and I give him credit for trying to be a good manager by giving regular feedback but starting the group in negative tone (pointing out flaws) is not good way to start. So I asked him to schedule 1:1 for me because I am not going to remember random things he ask me to do but my main intent for scheduled 1:1 was for me to be prepared before the meeting (mentally and with notes on things I have done).

Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Lol, the miserable world of corporate jobs, a meeting with your boss, or just a simple email perhaps that leaves you worried you have displeased someone important, perhaps someone is backstabbing you without your knowledge, perhaps there planning layoffs - never knowing if your job is safe, never giving any real feedback or assistance to you just leaving you with an insecure feeling that you can be removed from your position anytime should you displease them.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Not really. My current manager is excellent. At previous employers, I dreaded it. It all depends on the manager and what kind of relationship you have with them.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
When you did go through a layoff previously, how were you told about it? Did your manager put a one-on-one on your calendar?

Usually when there is a layoff or an employee is going to be fired, they don't schedule a meeting for that. It usually happens on a Friday where someone asks the employee to step-in to a conference room. There usually a few other people there like the hiring manager's manager, and someone from HR.

If I think I need more time to discuss something with an employee I will schedule an extra one-on-one, and it has been to discuss what they are working on and that the schedule needs to be changed and I want their feedback. Or they might be working with someone in another area of the company and I want to discuss the expectations for them doing that. I also want them to tell me how they feel they are doing and if there are having any problems I need to know about, cause my job is to remove obstacles so they can work easier.
Just my 2 cents, but I have experienced layoffs twice where there was a weird 1:1 meeting put on my calendar in advance. The first one sat there for a week. By the time the meeting was due, I knew something was up, but was still totally blindsided by the layoff. As it happens, I'm suffering through the second one right now, although I do have a new job starting in about 10 days.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
In my experience, it's usually just been them randomly calling me into an office. It's never actually been scheduled into my calendar.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:33 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
In a orevious job our team was due to be let go over the coming months. One by one each person would get a quick 1:1 meeting added to their calendar on a Monday for later that day. They would then be notified..

A co-worker and I joked that if we ever got that invite to decline it...

Old 11-08-2019, 02:55 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
A co-worker and I joked that if we ever got that invite to decline it...
LOL

You can't delay the inevitable. Unless you rather just randomly find out you can't login anymore to your work computer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment