Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 05:07 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,072,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
So after 14yrs working construction for county job in Atlanta ga...we got first raise since 2010...other than promoting to other titles we've gone long years without raises.....this recent raise put me at $19.47....so my thing is after 14yrs....this is like way behind....and just doesnt match up.......is that bad????? just to slide in details.....after taxes.....net pay coming home biweekly is $900......most cdl local driving jobs fall in that range weekly.......I'm so considering using my cdls for a better income and secure myself living wise......basicly living pay check to pay check......it takes money to save money...most I can save is 100 a check to a savings for last 7yrs and that's not much...............what do you think????
Up here in New England where I'm at with my company I'm paying early twenty year olds that with a couple years under their belt.

If you're good after 14 years... maybe $30. If you're okay, $25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,460,793 times
It really depends on your other benefits.

I have a friend who started cutting grass for the Parks Dept about the same time I got into autobody.For years I made way more then he did.After 30 years he was making almost as much as I was and was able to retire with 70% of his pay for life plus his health insurance is covered too.I'm still working,have no pension plan,and my job offers no health insurance.

…….I should have rode a lawn mower for 30 years,or stayed in the military for 30 years,or got some other job with a pension.I know a lot of people who got into things I didn't want to do that paid less in the beginning but worked out way better long term.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,489,659 times
Quote:
So after 14yrs working construction for county job in Atlanta ga...we got first raise since 2010...other than promoting to other titles we've gone long years without raises.....this recent raise put me at $19.47....so my thing is after 14yrs....this is like way behind....and just doesnt match up.......is that bad????? just to slide in details.....after taxes.....net pay coming home biweekly is $900......most cdl local driving jobs fall in that range weekly.......I'm so considering using my cdls for a better income and secure myself living wise......basicly living pay check to pay check......it takes money to save money...most I can save is 100 a check to a savings for last 7yrs and that's not much...............what do you think????
Do you have a pension and healthcare, or is this some exempt position that offers no benefits?

Old 10-30-2019, 03:13 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,541,279 times
Do you have good healthcare. Do you have a pension coming.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:20 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,592,598 times
Its bad if you have the mindset that any raise is to be given at all after hiring.

Learned thru HR and business years that No company - private or govt is forced to give raises.Unless you are the owner or top exec.

Thats where some unions help I'm all for giving raises to compensate for economic flux and employee diligence to tasks.

I concur that the math is wrong on the bi weekly take home. Best contact your HR payroll department.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,872,656 times
Quote:
That’s pretty bad. You should be at at least 30/35 a hour.

Can I ask you a personal question/s? After 14 years what have YOU done to better yourself? Plenty of time to get a degree, move into management or start a side business or move yourself into a full time business, invest etc. I know handymen who are charg8ng $35 bucks a hour. And easily getting it

$100 a check huh? Did you actually save or invest that money?

The reason I ask is because I myself was in a dead end job early in life. I saw my first paychecks and said this isn’t gonna work.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,544,806 times
Yea $40k after 14 years isn't great even in a lower cost area. You should be progressing to something better. Then again it is not uncommon in my profession to see no career progression but most people leave it within 5-10 years.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,489,659 times
Also, what are your opportunities for overtime like? If you can regularly get 50-60 hours it's just like getting a raise for those hours over 40.

It would take some math but think about what you do and what private sector companies pay for what you do. Would they pay more or less? Public sector doesn't always pay less. Sometimes they pay the most - especially for jobs that are hard to turn a profit in the private sector. You may be in the best employer for your line of work.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:12 PM

23,956 posts, read 33,962,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My son is an owner-operator trucker. This year has been the worst year in the last five years for freight moving. He is contracted out to a major trucking company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...oodbath-2019-7

In the last six months, he's had too many loads cancel, little freight rush like one typically has in summer/fall. And of course there are many states with zero manufacturing, you take a sweet load in and be forced to dead-head to the next load. Rolling without freight costs him big bucks. He has found a sweet spot in the midwest that has adequate freight but it limits his visits home and time off.

Many trucking companies are laying off drivers and support staff.

If you want to use your CDL....try driving locally on the weekend while keeping your #1 job.
You're not kidding. My hub is owner operator car carrier, used to be great money but barely pays these days. Work has been very slow the last few months.

That article isn't kidding either with the closures. My hub was at Allied for almost 30 years when they went bankrupt in 2011. New company doesn't even give him health insurance

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,043,746 times
That’s completely normal for public sector. You have it where it counts though. You’ll be living a nice retirement with benefits though while most private sector people will be stuck in cyclical recession, lay-off, insourcing, outsourcing downsizing hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment