Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM

3,879 posts, read 2,418,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Maybe you haven't, but others have been. Have seen it done myself, three times.

Of course, the probability of this happening is low, but why take the chance?
It isn't that low. Almost every new person starting at least someone mentions they got a call or e-mail from someone they knew that this person was coming over before they started. So people start to talk and already have these expectations about them, and if it isn't kind it is often repeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:54 PM

3,879 posts, read 2,418,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll just keep my mouth closed and move on. I'll just be happy I don't have to deal with him anymore.

I should have reported him to HR a long time ago, but I feared that reporting him would make my work environment even more toxic. He has gotten into verbal altercations with profanity with other employees in front of everyone, slammed doors, and stormed out of the office.
It is better to leave. If you report anything to HR, the first thing they do is tell your supervisor that you came to them with an issue. HR is not your friend, and they are not there to protect you. They are there to protect the company, and only care about things if it is important to management because they report to management. I don't know where people got this idea that HR is some kind of independent department there is there to fight for the employees, it simply isn't true.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM

26,723 posts, read 42,017,273 times
I made the mistake of going to an exit interview and giving suggestions on how the company could better itself. The HR person reportedly was absolutely furious with my suggestions. The best comment is as little comment as possible to why you are leaving.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 PM

9,573 posts, read 11,360,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
"Why are you quitting"

"Because you display the temperment of four, four year olds, all at the same time"
I left a job in a dysfunctional hellhole, boss was borderline from hell, upper management was seriously whacked. If I told the truth in my resignation letter, my references would probably be gamed up big-time.

Outsiders knew how sick the institution was. I let it be, there was nothing to gain and much to lose. Sometimes silence is preferable to the ugly truth.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 PM

245 posts, read 154,764 times
I've had a number of unprofessional, condescending jerk supervisors who yelled at people, so you're far from alone OP. People like that have usually been there for a long time and everyone knows what they are like, so talking about their behavior won't solve anything. Looking back, they were very good at what they did, so they could get away with being complete a-holes.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:12 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times
I keep it as vague and diplomatic as possible.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,193,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll just keep my mouth closed and move on. I'll just be happy I don't have to deal with him anymore.

I should have reported him to HR a long time ago, but I feared that reporting him would make my work environment even more toxic. He has gotten into verbal altercations with profanity with other employees in front of everyone, slammed doors, and stormed out of the office.
HR has been dealing with him, longer than you. They have heard it all before. You won't be the first person to complain about the guy.

Look at Larry Nasser and the Olympic committee. They knew he was a child molester, long before the public knew. They kept getting complaints from new victims and buried the victims. Don't be a victim.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,494,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
You can just say it's a better fit for you. If they have an exit interview, you can go into more detail, but only if you want to. You are under no obligation to divulge all of the gory details. I'm sure no matter what you tell HR, your immediate Supervisor is not going to change.

Good for you, and good luck in your new job.

I agree - don't burn your bridges. Now if HR wants to do an exit interview I would be more honest like the poster above said.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 AM

10,654 posts, read 12,292,999 times
Just say the old tried and true...it's an opportunity you can't pass up.

Your real work friends will know the real deal anyway.
And most managers and HR already know: the hours suck, workers can't get holiday or other days off, there's no upward mobility. And in many cases they also already know the "difficult personality" types who people don't want to wok with.

AND they know people are leaving for those reasons.. So what's left to tell them (in most cases).

You're leaving. Just move on -- and pray for the work friends who are still stuck there, try to help them get out, see them for lunch away from work.....

Last edited by selhars; 10-01-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,793,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
HR knows, if he's behaving that badly in public places. Why don't they do anything? DH used to joke that people who get away with that must have 8-by-10 glossy photos of high-level executives in embarrassing positions hidden away somewhere.
I was just speaking with a coworker about this. Apparently an employee who no longer works here reported boss to HR shortly after boss started working here. He had only worked here a month and was already cussing people out.

HR made employee and boss meet with them on a weekly basis for a month to discuss problems. The issue got better, not fully, so the other employee left after working here for 10yr without any issues.

No one has reported him since because they know HR doesn't actually do anything. Boss even told another employee that "he isn't sure what you'd have to do to get fired from here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment