Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:49 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,437,392 times

Advertisements

Did you already quit the government job? I think you should give it some more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,422,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sorry if I missed this detail....
So are you still at the new job you went to, or you've left there also?

No I haven’t the new job. I meant the office keys for the previous job. I had to turn them in by the 30th.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM

Just an update if anyone cares: I left the government job back in March and took a contract role in a technical role with a Fortune 200 company. The contract is a three month contract with intention to convert to a FTE. I haven’t heard an update on that yet though.

Regarding my job before the government one, the one I tried regretted leaving and tried going back to in October: I hadn’t heard from my former boss/CEO/founder since November other than Christmas and New Years text messages. The other day I get an email from in “checking in” asking how is work, life and family. I replied and mentioned my contract job and he asked when the contract was up. I replied but haven’t heard anything back yet.

That same day on LinkedIn, I see that a former co-worker of mine who left the company six months before me is now back with the company as of earlier this month. Curious because back in October, my boss said while he personally didn’t have a problem with me coming back, the management group said I left for a reason and I could leave again so it was left at that. Now I see a former co-worker came back and wonder if they didn’t think that about this person or maybe they wanted and asked him to come back? Interesting.

I was just moving on from that job and the regret and everything and then I get that email from my former boss and it’s like hearing from an ex and feelings those feelings all over again, ugh.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 6,002,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Just an update if anyone cares: I left the government job back in March and took a contract role in a technical role with a Fortune 200 company. The contract is a three month contract with intention to convert to a FTE. I haven’t heard an update on that yet though.

Regarding my job before the government one, the one I tried regretted leaving and tried going back to in October: I hadn’t heard from my former boss/CEO/founder since November other than Christmas and New Years text messages. The other day I get an email from in “checking in” asking how is work, life and family. I replied and mentioned my contract job and he asked when the contract was up. I replied but haven’t heard anything back yet.

That same day on LinkedIn, I see that a former co-worker of mine who left the company six months before me is now back with the company as of earlier this month. Curious because back in October, my boss said while he personally didn’t have a problem with me coming back, the management group said I left for a reason and I could leave again so it was left at that. Now I see a former co-worker came back and wonder if they didn’t think that about this person or maybe they wanted and asked him to come back? Interesting.

I was just moving on from that job and the regret and everything and then I get that email from my former boss and it’s like hearing from an ex and feelings those feelings all over again, ugh.
Unfortunately once you leave, it’s nearly impossible to go back because you are thought of as a flight-risk, and there is a fear in hiring you.

It is probably good you got out of the federal job. Just the stress and embarrassment of having to go through shutdowns/ potential shutdowns multiple times per year isn’t worth it, unless it is a job you really enjoy.

If you stay at your current position for a long time and really develop attractive skills, you could have a chance to go back to your old job. But it will take some time and demonstration that you aren’t a job hopper. To do that, you need to stay somewhere for a while and progress up the ladder.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Unfortunately once you leave, it’s nearly impossible to go back because you are thought of as a flight-risk, and there is a fear in hiring you.
Yeah, I understood and makes sense. But apparently, as evidence by that co-worker who left and just came back, that is the exception and not the rule. Or they just likes him better than me.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:17 PM

84 posts, read 176,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Yeah, I understood and makes sense. But apparently, as evidence by that co-worker who left and just came back, that is the exception and not the rule. Or they just likes him better than me.
Maybe he has a different/more needed skillset? Maybe he was willing to take less money to go back? There's any number of scenarios as to why he was allowed to return to work there.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Life is short, and moving on mentally and emotionally from these situations is usually in your best interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment