Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,529,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just something to consider:

It could be that what your resume is presenting (including your significant experience and level of previous positions) doesn't seem to line up with the types of positions you are interviewing for. When the interviewer actually meets you in person you end up, to use your words, intimidating them because of the breadth and level of your past experience.

If they aren't clear about what you want out of their job, they may not be comfortable taking a chance on you. They may get the impression that you will be authoritarian, rather demanding, want to dictate the terms of everything because you feel you are entitled to that sort of deference. But, at the same time, they only want a lower caliber person to do as they are directed to. There ends up being an unintentional disconnect between what you can obviously do, what you want, and what THEY want. If they hire someone overqualified are they going to end up with a know-it-all who pushes back when directed?

Maybe your presentation and resume needs tweaking "down" to the lower caliber/less responsibility position you are hoping for.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Unfortunately, I do not believe changing his resume will help. An experienced person is not going to answer questions the same way an inexperienced candidate will. I have experienced this during my search.

He needs to find a company that will embrace him and use his talent. It is hard because of his management experience. I would try consulting or contracting. Someone gave good advice regarding contracting. I am not sure how the OP would qualify for benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 AM

7,274 posts, read 9,474,250 times
I actually did what the OP is trying to do. I was a second level engineering manager for several years before I burned out. I was "retired" during the dot com bust.

When I returned to work in 2011, I requested to work as an engineer. One of my friends who knew what I could do recommended me to the then new engineering manager. I think that is the key to getting rehired doing actual work.

I came back and blew them away with results. Although they asked me twice to return to management, I politely declined.

Recently, I came out of retirement again at their request to do a part time job consulting on a new project.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I actually did what the OP is trying to do. I was a second level engineering manager for several years before I burned out. I was "retired" during the dot com bust.

When I returned to work in 2011, I requested to work as an engineer. One of my friends who knew what I could do recommended me to the then new engineering manager. I think that is the key to getting rehired doing actual work.

I came back and blew them away with results. Although they asked me twice to return to management, I politely declined.

Recently, I came out of retirement again at their request to do a part time job consulting on a new project.
Good for you. It is always nice to have contacts.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Is there some way you can work as a contractor? I retired at 58-1/2 and went back to work at 60 as a contractor. I got the job online (at the time I used Monster.com). I got a six month contract working for an agency that was a subcontractor of Kelly Services that sent me to work at Johnson and Johnson. When that contract was done I got an 18 month contract, then I retired. I found working as a contractor to have many benefits, such as having access to group health insurance, life insurance and a 401K plan. For the client, they had no obligation to you so there was no age discrimination. You are as good as your work.
How did you get benefits as a contractor?

Old 09-05-2018, 07:52 AM

35,356 posts, read 31,793,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Some contracting agencies provide them and others don't. Of the agencies I was with in the past, benefits were almost always far worse and more expensive than as an FTE.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,481,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Have you tried employment agencies?

This is what I plan on doing as I don't want a career, just a paycheck at something I'm good at for the next year or so. I've had the high pressure jobs and right now I'm looking for something part time with little to no contact with customers or people.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Some contracting agencies provide them and others don't. Of the agencies I was with in the past, benefits were almost always far worse and more expensive than as an FTE.
I can imagine. I would like to explore consulting. I do not find them particularly effective but I heard money is in it.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 23,229 times
Wow! Such angry exchanges. Moderator note: Inappropriate posts by others have been deleted. Thank you to everyone who had positive things to say. I don't feel sorry for myself, nor do I blame anyone, and I'm certainly not depressed. My last work experience is the reason I want a lesser position. Having been in management for 15 years is not something I wish to continue. I've always been a hard worker and have been promoted as a result. I've signed up with multiple recruiters and am open to doing contract work. I was hoping for a more open dialogue with my post, not people being rude and dismissive to others. I've been very successful in my career. Until you have been in my shoes, you don't know what my jobs have been like. I've had some great jobs over the years. At this point in my life I don't want to work 60 hours a week. I was replaced at my last job by someone 17 years younger than me. I was the oldest person on the management team by 20 years, so yeah, I believe age played a factor. Again when you don't know all of the facts, it's easy to place blame where it doesn't belong.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2018 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 4,018,228 times
The agency I worked for made them available at group rates. I didn't need them because I was retired with a pension and got the benefits from my previous employer. However they were offered to all employees of the agency at group rates which were much better than applying as an individual.

The whole experience of being a contractor was quite different than my previous 35 years of employment. As a contractor the client has no long term obligation to you and can let you go at any time if you don't perform. It's a true meritocracy. You are out of the loop for all office politics because you are a contractor, not an employee. You have no expectation for promotion, no performance reviews or improvement plans, and no stake in who runs anything. Your age doesn't matter because you only get paid for hours you work, no sick days or vacation days, no impact on the client's health insurance rates. You get paid for the hours you work, what you contribute, and you stay and get new contracts based on good performance only.

If you want a few weeks off for a vacation you delay the start of your next contract. At the age of 60 I never worked harder than I did as a contractor, nor had I felt more capable and energized. Contractors younger than me who didn't hit the ground running, catch on and become productive quickly, were let go in a couple of weeks. Many younger people were contractors also, and it was their preferred type of employment. With a good reputation they went from one 6 month contract to another. After I retired for good at 62, I was still getting requests for a couple of years to accept new contracts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

Last edited by bobspez; 09-05-2018 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM

6,844 posts, read 4,018,228 times
That's because they are not subsidized by your employer. But group rates are better than individual rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment