Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM

348 posts, read 460,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
At the accounting firms where I've worked, everyone at the "staff" level has been well under 30.

If you don't want to deal with age discrimination, go work for the government or become a truck driver.
Accounting firms tend to hire their 'staff' from colleges/universities where they directly recruit from and the roles typically follow a specific path and time frame. Staff 1 (1 year) - Staff 2 (1 year) - Senior (3 years or so) - Manager (3 years or so) - Senior Manager (maybe another 3 years but could be much longer - sometimes Director and then Partner. It's very defined so it's always going to skew young at the staff level.

I do know a guy who was in my accounting masters program, who was in his early 40s and was changing careers. He got a staff position with a Big 4 firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Age discrimination is worse than it's ever been. I suspect employers want to keep salary costs down and they figure hiring the youngest people possible is the way to do it.
As much as salary costs, it's health care costs. With a younger work force they can keep their group rates lower.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
As much as salary costs, it's health care costs. With a younger work force they can keep their group rates lower.
When all other variables are equal, also why they prefer men, as women's health insurance is more costly.
However, I do wonder how many of them younger employees take more unnecessary risks, and if that can tip the balance more against their favor

Old 01-09-2018, 12:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
When all other variables are equal, also why they prefer men, as women's health insurance is more costly.
However, I do wonder how many of them younger employees take more unnecessary risks, and if that can tip the balance more against their favor
It isn't fair to count the cost of pregnancy care & childbirth 100% against women...if women didn't have children, the human race would die out. Plus, last I checked it takes two people to make a baby.

Women also visit doctors more frequently, apparently. That definitely doesn't check out at BigDGeek's house. I rarely see a doctor and I don't have a primary care physician. Mr. BigDGeek is at the doctor every 3 months.

BigD: No prescription meds.
Mr. BigD: Half a dozen scrips.

I kind of hope my employer never does the math on how much my husband costs them (they're self-insured).

Old 01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
What kind of company do you work for?

They hire younger people due to health concerns usually.
The only times I was ever hospitalized was four times between the ages of 19 and 21, starting with a sports injury.

Younger people do tend to get physically injured due to sports, even if the young people are otherwise internally healthy.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
My company has many buyers. Not one over 30 (unless they’ve been here a long time). Anytime an older person tries to apply for a buyer position they never get hired. They will always either take a younger person even if they are less qualified and irresponsible. Or hire right out of college. People always tell me to go for one of the positions. What is the point when they won’t hire anyone over 30? I’m 43. Nobody my age has ever been given a position.
Are you talking about a department store/retail store buyer? They are going to hire people who are in touch with what the market they are after wants. If Forever 21 was hiring a buyer, of course it's not going to be a 40 year old. Just like Bass Pro Shops are probably going to hire a buyer who is in touch with their market.

I think this is a different case than other jobs that hire younger people. A store that catered to older people would hire an older buyer, but most retail want the kids' money.

What are your qualifications, btw? I know one person who is a buyer, and yes she is young. But she majored in fashion merchandising, worked in retail while in school and did many "extras" at work and in school, getting glowing and stellar references and great grades. She was hired before she even moved out of her dorm by a major department store chain (although she had to move to Wisconsin for it) but she earned it, and was one of the top grads in her class.

Just saying, being a Buyer is extremely competitive and hard to get a foot in the door, it's not a job you can just apply to with any degree or credentials because there will be 300 other applicants who have better ones.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Never mind us baby boomers. I'm eminently qualified to work in today's IT environment, Linux, AIX, Unix, firewalls, load balancers, DNS, TCP-IP troubleshooting, Java, Python, WebSphere, IIS, TCServer/Tomcat, any sort of middle and back-end components. My LinkedIn stats show that I am seen in at least 20 searches a week and yet: not a single call. I suspect that they do the math on my first graduation date and that's the end of it.
You can't sit back and wait for a call. Technology is great, but networking and relationships win the day.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Soon the jobs will all be done by robots so it won't matter

Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Soon the jobs will all be done by robots so it won't matter
Yes.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You shouldn't still be competing for positions with people 10 years younger than you. You should have progressed by this point.
Why not?

Some people like the positions they are in, not everyone desires nor should desire to rise to the highest levels available of their career field.

Also, some people do career changes, so while they are older, they have just as much experience as someone ten years younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment