Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:22 AM

560 posts, read 453,903 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I took my leap and moved from MD to Pittsburgh in June. The job I moved for turned out to be the job from hell and I stayed for only a month. I got a PT law office job to hold me over while I looked for a FT law office job which I found about a month later and that's where I currently am.

However, the move wasn't all I thought it would be and I haven't really clicked at any of the jobs I've had. The one I have now I feel the office is catty with gossip and talking about each other. It's not what I came from where the other girls and I got along. I still talk to both the girls from my old law office back home. They did hire my replacement. However, when I first started there back in 2015 they had 4 girls. They are still working with just 3.

There are things around the area that I love. I love my apartment and all the restaurants around it. I have a good friend here. I just don't feel like I've clicked or belong. I know it hasn't been that long, but this job while the money is good. I like the area of law. It just doesn't seem like it's the fit for me which is disappointing and I keep thinking I made a mistake leaving my old job.

For reference I'm young (24) and had just gotten my degree when I left. I was wondering if it's worth calling my old boss who has sung my praises to everyone who's called about me and asking him if he would be willing to take me back. I realized the grass wasn't greener and that I should never have left in the first place. I'm willing to admit that it was a mistake, but I did learn and I got to see even shortly different areas of law to know what I was doing back home was the right fit.

Anyone had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
I don't see any harm in that but don't be upset if your old firm doesn't bite. Often former employers are reluctant to hire someone back.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,953,789 times
It would definitely be worth it. The last place I left my boss told me if I ever wanted to come back to let him know. A lot of good companies do this. That's why they tell you to never burn your bridges.

It seems like it is easy for you to find jobs. Having a lot of short term jobs like that doesn't look good though.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It would definitely be worth it. The last place I left my boss told me if I ever wanted to come back to let him know. A lot of good companies do this. That's why they tell you to never burn your bridges.

It seems like it is easy for you to find jobs.
Yeah they were really nice to me when I left. They took me out to lunch and seemed happy for me that I felt like I was taking a good step for myself. I did learn from this and I actually am currently working in the same area of law. I feel like I could bring them some good new tips and tricks that they don't do.

It has been easy. At least it was easy here. I never tried looking back home. I was never leaving my old job for one in the same state.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I don't see any harm in that but don't be upset if your old firm doesn't bite. Often former employers are reluctant to hire someone back.
Thank you. Do you think it's better to call or email?

Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,539,906 times
Location, location, location. The three important things in real estate are not important in the job market. The important thing is the job. Several things you complain about are present everywhere, btw.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
Just be careful what you wish for and think long and hard. I moved from a long time job to another area, then felt like you and went back to my original state and employer. Now a few years later, I'm dying to get back to the other area. I realized the problems I originally had were more about me being homesick than anything and I should have given myself a longer time to adjust. Remember, there's a reason you moved and keep that in mind.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Not near enough time. You should be giving a new city a couple of years before making a decision.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not near enough time. You should be giving a new city a couple of years before making a decision.
A couple years? I'm not sure I could give it a couple years if I can't like the job. I've already had two others before this one.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just be careful what you wish for and think long and hard. I moved from a long time job to another area, then felt like you and went back to my original state and employer. Now a few years later, I'm dying to get back to the other area. I realized the problems I originally had were more about me being homesick than anything and I should have given myself a longer time to adjust. Remember, there's a reason you moved and keep that in mind.
Thank you. I will be thinking on it because I can't just up and leave. I would need to save up 2 months rent cause that's what it cost to break my lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment