Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM

665 posts, read 620,163 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I haven't seen any topics on this subject so I thought I would make new thread regarding it. I've been mulling over a few days so here it is.

Right now, I'm between jobs after quitting my job a few weeks ago. I planned on quitting towards the end of the year so I could visit my family for Thanksgiving anyway but due to unforeseen circumstances it happened in September and not October or November. So I won't be applying for jobs until late November or early December at the latest. There has always been interest for me to be in the shipping/marine industry for some reason and I feel at this point in my life I need something where I could progress and grow into a profession. Even though I have been working in my current profession (civil engineer) for about 10 years I haven't made the strides I feel I should have and feel unmotivated and uninterested to continue working in this profession where I'm at and given the current climate.

After reviewing a few different options, I feel would be good in the following positions since I'm good at analyzing technical data, spreadsheets, specifications and things along those lines.
1) Shipping Coordinator/Agent
2) Shipping Broker (after working as a shipping agent)
3) Logistics Coordinator/Agent

I've since LA is a major international shipping/intermodal hub between the US, Latin America and Asia (especially China) this would present an opportunity I have not explored in the past and provide an chance to break into international trade and business.

I'm not interested in returning to school for further learning and would like to learn on the job given my current skillset.

Your thoughts, experiences and opinions on this are all welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,755,064 times
I have been in this industry for 25 years I will break it down for you.

1) Shipping Coordinator/Agent
Entry level, low pay, long hours and very high turnover. You will be dealing with the brokers, truckers, dispatchers and warehouse staff. Many of these people are the dregs of society uneducated loud and disrespectful. You will be the sounding board for all delays and take a lot of abuse.

2) Shipping Broker (after working as a shipping agent)
More responsibility, more paperwork, more regulations, better pay. As a broker, you can work for a company or book your own loads. It requires a hefty bond. Lot's of turnover. Experience is what matters in this field and many people have lured away for higher paying jobs. The flip side is that when a company big or small is relying on one or two large accounts they can let people go at the drop of a hat of things go south. In the shipping business, things are great one day and the next day they aren't. Being a broker requires schooling as well. Many individuals move on and broker loads independently. It's a good living.

3) Logistics Coordinator/Agent
The heart of shipping. Very fast moving, very stressful. You are the point of contact for everyone. If you are dealing with international the regs are very strict, if dealing with Haz-mat shipments even more so. OSHA will come in and audit you and if the books aren't close to perfect the fines levied to the company can be in the hundreds of thousands to millions. If there is some type of disaster that was caused or could have been avoided because of improper paperwork that includes property damage and loss of life get a great lawyer. The money is decent too. Like anything else, it gets better over time and experience.

All told it could take roughly 7 to 10 years to go through the motions to get to logistics agent.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 PM

665 posts, read 620,163 times
LGR_NYR,

Thanks for the insight. I'll send you a PM later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment