Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM

461 posts, read 510,149 times

Advertisements

He has said lets move on, no big deal. So leave it at that! I am sure he did lose some confidence in you, so work doubly hard to regain it. Don't make the same mistake again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
He has said lets move on, no big deal. So leave it at that! I am sure he did lose some confidence in you, so work doubly hard to regain it. Don't make the same mistake again...
OP, rest assured that he did not lose confidence in you.

Again, you have to understand something. Most of the people here are introverts and have no idea how to manage properly. One of the things that a good manager has to do with his/her team is to identify who's the high capacity workers, who's dependable, etc. He/she also has to identify each person's abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

The mistake you made has absolutely no bearing or reflection on your abilities to do the work.

But again, I am assuming your manager is a human. God forbids if he's one of the introverts on this forum, then yes you are toast.

I'll just let you know this. If you were working under me and I got an inappropriate email from you, I would have assumed right away it was sent by mistake, have a good laugh about it, and hit the delete button. If the email was sent to multiple people, I would immediately do damage control for you by calling each person and ask them to delete the email and forget about it. That's the human thing to do.

But again, if your manager is an introvert from CD... you're toast.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 PM

439 posts, read 346,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I just got a job, and a lot of the job requires communicating with my boss over email, which I am not use to doing but wish I was cause of this incident.

I was talking to my gf at the time, and we were doing dirty talking and just fooling around having fun. I sent one of the messages to my bosses email by accident along with a really distasteful picture of myself that was meant for my gf.

After realizing this, I immediately emailed my boss explaining the mistake. But it just looks really unprofessional, especially since the job is new and I mostly talk to him through email and haven't worked with him very much yet. And of course I apologized over and over profusely.

It was very stupid thing of me to do and I was having fun with my gf and wasn't thinking obviously.

Is there anything I can do to rise above this in his eyes and get past this so we can get back to work? He hasn't emailed me back yet but it's just been a couple of hours but still am very worried. I tried sending him some work related things that I was going to anyway, to try to get him past it but what can I do now?
Just ignore it. Assuming you need to get him past it is a false assumption.

First of all you cannot do so.

All you can do is apolgize as you did, and now let it go.

Act normal around him so he doesn't think you're a pervert

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,045,405 times
Quote:
Well he sent me an email back saying I am making too big a deal out of it, and that people make mistakes and let's move past it. But I feel that he may have lost his enthusiam or confidence now.
My perspective is that of a business owner and employer.

You will get the usual, "your dead meat and being fired by days end" and you'll also get the "life is good, all is well, hold hands and kiss" folks. The reality is there are two things in play. The immediate reaction would be how your boss responds to the email and/or your apology. In this case, it seems they want you to stop obsessing over it and they may not have seen it in as bad a light as you have. In this regard, your lucky especially with today's atmosphere of inappropriate communications. So count yourself as one lucky person.

Now, the second issue is what you are concerned about. Will this cause damages in how you are viewed going forward. Anyone who tells you it will have no impact on your relationship with your boss is an idiot. It happened, it will not be forgotten. In making decisions about you, I can assure you it most likely will be a factor. It may be small or it could be a big factor. Since your boss said not to make a big deal about it, drop it and move on. Don't overly attempt to undo the blunder. But, never forget that your boss may never forget.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,348,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OP, rest assured that he did not lose confidence in you.

Again, you have to understand something. Most of the people here are introverts and have no idea how to manage properly. One of the things that a good manager has to do with his/her team is to identify who's the high capacity workers, who's dependable, etc. He/she also has to identify each person's abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

The mistake you made has absolutely no bearing or reflection on your abilities to do the work.

But again, I am assuming your manager is a human. God forbids if he's one of the introverts on this forum, then yes you are toast.

I'll just let you know this. If you were working under me and I got an inappropriate email from you, I would have assumed right away it was sent by mistake, have a good laugh about it, and hit the delete button. If the email was sent to multiple people, I would immediately do damage control for you by calling each person and ask them to delete the email and forget about it. That's the human thing to do.

But again, if your manager is an introvert from CD... you're toast.
Oh for goodness sakes, you keep referring to a different thread and twisting things to suit yourself. You must still be burning. Stop beating that dead horse, stay on topic, and try to act like the manager you claim to be.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:38 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,751,052 times
Quote:
Yes it was from my personal email to his. He asked me to use his personal email for work, cause it's all the same to him, he said, so I did.

As for our relationship we have joked around so far and I think it's good, but we never had joked about anything sexual related so far, so I am hugely embarrassed. We hung out at a couple of wrap party's for past filmmaking projects, so we do have that wrap party hang out relationship so far, if that helps.
Is your boss of the opposite sex? It sounds like he's not, but if so that could be another problem!

You apologized, so let it go. Lesson learned!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, you keep referring to a different thread and twisting things to suit yourself. You must still be burning. Stop beating that dead horse, stay on topic, and try to act like the manager you claim to be.
I am on topic. People here keep making the OPs mistake out to be a catastrophe. It's not. The OPs manager says it's not. Any REAL manager would understand that it's just a no biggie mistake. Any GOOD REAL manager would delete that email and forget about it.

Look, us managers aren't out to get people fired or even to deduct points every chance we get. We actually want to nurture and encourage improvements in people. It benefits everyone.

Not knowing that, if you were just to read this forum, you'd think that we live on Vulcan, everyone is a robot, and managers can't wait to fire people. That is simply not the case at all.

In short, OP, it's not a big deal. Just move on with your life. Best wishes

Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OP, relax.

I'm a manager. I understand that people make mistakes. It's pretty much unavoidable. One time the whole team got a text message from one of the guys asking his girlfriend if she was doing better with a kissy emoticon. For a month after that, every time we sent out a text message to everyone, we always used that emoticon.

Take my word for it. You're fine. He probably had a good laugh and then deleted that email. No biggie.
That "kissy" emoticon is a lot more innocent then what the OP is implying he/she sent.

Being a professional has nothing to do with your use of the term introvert.

The OP was hired to do the company video's. As a supervisor you're not questioning his/her ability after such a non-professional "mistake" would make me question your management skills as a supervisor if I was your boss.....especially when you stated in other posts that you'd "cover" for such an employee.

OP....Consider yourself very fortunate and use your company email for your job from now on and your personal email for personal communication from now on.

Last edited by JanND; 10-11-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times

Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times
LOL

This is why I never send those pics, and if you absolutely feel you must send the pic, re-check the address multiple times.

Boss probably won't believe your story and will think you are coming onto him.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 10-11-2017 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment