Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Hi!

I started a new job recently as a secretary for a credit union. I have only bee there 2 weeks. The job is ok - but very stressful. When I clock out I just want to go home to my husband and dog. I have no desire to be around coworkers after that. One of the managers is leaving and they are throwing him a goodbye party. It's next week and that evening I already have plans I'm not willing to change since I have already paid. I told a coworker I wasn't going when she asked and she gave me a puzzled look. This party is for a manager I don't report to. I also don't feel very comfortable with some of my female colleagues as they have not been friendly since I started.

Is it wrong I don't want to go?

Simply get a I wish you well card. If I come across a office thing and I don't want to go (I'm like you I have no interest to socialize after work) I use I have a appointment or I have some family matter I need to attend to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:26 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,239,470 times
Quote:
Hi!

I started a new job recently as a secretary for a credit union. I have only bee there 2 weeks. The job is ok - but very stressful. When I clock out I just want to go home to my husband and dog. I have no desire to be around coworkers after that. One of the managers is leaving and they are throwing him a goodbye party. It's next week and that evening I already have plans I'm not willing to change since I have already paid. I told a coworker I wasn't going when she asked and she gave me a puzzled look. This party is for a manager I don't report to. I also don't feel very comfortable with some of my female colleagues as they have not been friendly since I started.

Is it wrong I don't want to go?

Just tell the truth. There's nothing wrong with that.

Do your job to the best of your ability, and the rest will take care of itself.

But for goodness sakes.... just be honest and you'll be respected for that. They're probably looking at you like that because they never thought of standing up for themselves that way.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,658 times
Never, ever should a person who is not living on royalties avoid company parties. Sad truth.
Go, smile, laugh where others laugh, get some food, smile, wave to couple of important people, smile, make a small talk, smile, and quietly disappear English-style.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,628,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Remember these people are co workers and acquaintances NOT friends. Make sure you keep it business until you feel you can trust them. You are under no obligation to go to this managers party. You have, after all been there a couple weeks. You have no history with him. I don't understand why people are insisting you go. Strange.
I thought the same thing. Also, the OP as plans that she paid for - I don't think she should scrap plans that are already in the works AND PAID FOR.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd also be a bit leery that they are having something after hours. While I work for a strange company, the company I work for has these things during the work day, during lunch. For religious reasons, I'd never go to something after hours because that means it'd be in a bar and I can't attend.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
You have zero obligation to go. And no - it's not "wrong". However, humans are social animals. And we form perspectives based on what we see/experience. And more often than not, those initial perceptions are often full of inaccuracies.

Quote:
No I haven't done anything. They seem to be catty.
It seems you've also made some perceptions about your co-workers. Albeit, by your own admission - you aren't super social, so what are the chances these are just some erroneous first impressions on both sides? Maybe you're simply shy, but coming off as stand-offish. And they're simply reacting to that.

At the end of the day - you don't want to socialize with your co-workers, and there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with that. However, also keep in mind that this MAY bring some disadvantages down the road. It's simply human nature - people tend to help friends before they help others.

And not sure how much experience you have in the CU space. But it's often one where folks don't move around a lot. So people can have some tight relationships through years of working together. Which an be intimidating as the "new person".

Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,269,185 times
"I'm committed to a previous engagement."

Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

It seems you've also made some perceptions about your co-workers. Albeit, by your own admission - you aren't super social, so what are the chances these are just some erroneous first impressions on both sides? Maybe you're simply shy, but coming off as stand-offish. And they're simply reacting to that.

At the end of the day - you don't want to socialize with your co-workers, and there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with that. However, also keep in mind that this MAY bring some disadvantages down the road. It's simply human nature - people tend to help friends before they help others.
I was wondering about a bad first impression situation, as well. You might do well to kill them with kindness--bring in some banana bread once in a while, make sure to wish people a happy birthday, ask them how their vacation went, etc.

I'm friendly with many of my coworkers, and we try to schedule a group happy hour once a month which turns out to be interesting. You find out what people are like outside of work which helps you relate to them at work. But I know that some people don't want to spend any more time then they have to with coworkers.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,178,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
One of the top reasons I don't miss the corporate world. Forced socialization. I worked in 1 very toxic office and another highly political office filled with snoots.
Agreed. I don't like being forced to go to lunch with co-workers, attend holiday parties, etc. I go to work to work, not socialize.

This is why I'm glad I can work from home occasionally. No office politics during those days.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
Then don't. Clock, do your job, clock out and go home. End of story.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:37 AM

371 posts, read 494,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Well, here's another suggestion....maybe go up to the manager who's leaving sometime when its convenient maybe when others are there to notice. Simply say that you would have enjoyed attending his party but can't due to your concert and wish him good luck. You can present a pleasant face to the group without too much trouble, and not have to change your plans (which are legitimate). Little things like this go a long way with co-workers. I think its a bit more important to make a good impression on a new group of co workers. No one is suggesting that you make a huge deal out of someone you won't be working with, just to be polite and gracious. Someday when you really NEED some good "credit" you'll have it.
This.

Talk to the manager, wish them well in retirement, and apologize for not being able to go to the party due to a show you already have tickets to. It's understandable, and if they don't understand it, oh well.

That being said, I'd try to show up to the next one. Eat some cake, make some small talk, be the 3rd person to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment