Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 AM

6,834 posts, read 10,642,150 times

Advertisements

It is never too late, but before plunking down tens of thousands for a new degree, he better make sure it would actually lead to something he enjoys so he isn't just repeating the same pattern while adding more debt on top of it. At this age, he needs to be really careful about debt - he needs to make sure that whatever career he is aiming toward he would be able to earn enough to justify and make back the expense of the degree. He should research job prospects carefully, and particularly where he will be living if not willing/able to move. He might look into some programs that require a lot less time and money. Shop around for schools re: cost and employment ratings. He might consider talking to a career counselor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 AM

35,350 posts, read 31,793,012 times
I wouldn't say tech is worth it at that age. Too much age discrimination. Consider something like a healthcare occupations, where age can be seen as an asset.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 PM

582 posts, read 769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't say tech is worth it at that age. Too much age discrimination. Consider something like a healthcare occupations, where age can be seen as an asset.
I personally think it is too late for him at this point to study medicine. That is a long way!
How about nutrition? Does that consider as a healthcare occupation?

What other occupations where age can be seen as an asset?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,795,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I personally think it is too late for him at this point to study medicine. That is a long way!
How about nutrition? Does that consider as a healthcare occupation?

What other occupations where age can be seen as an asset?
I know someone who retired from state government (executive-level position for decades) and then started a second career as an occupational therapy assistant. I think he was 60 when he retired, so it's never too late to go back! Presumably someone younger could have done a more involved degree, but at 60, who has the time?

I know of a lot of people who went into nursing when they were a bit older as well, since it's not quite as intensive as becoming a physician.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,208,932 times
Technically it is never too late, but the risk goes way up the older you get.

There are always fairy tail stories, the exceptions, that everyone likes to talk about like they are the rule, they aren't.

After my experience, I wouldn't do it unless you already have some kind of in that would help you get hired into your new career field. If all you are going to do is get a new degree and look for a job, forget doing that when you get older in today's economy. 15-20 years ago, no problem, but not today.

The great recession has completely changed how employers hire. Employers are way too picky and about a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with you performing on the job. You can have the degrees, the experience, the knowledge, but if they think you are too old, or any number of other "red" flags, you are done for. It doesn't matter how good of an employee you would be. Employers don't see that, they only see a negative, often times completely made up and unsubstantiated, based on nothing but a herd mentality, and that is that, no job for you.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If he lacked the technical skills to get hired in a field he already has a masters in, it seems like he's not necessarily suited to a tech career.

And while he could probably get hired as a chef after getting a degree in that, it's not exactly a high paying job and it's HARD work with long hours, usually late into the night. It's hard to see how it would get him any further ahead in terms of saving for retirement than a steady, if boring, office job.

If he really wants to make a move, he's probably best off going back to the fields he already has a degree in, figure out what kind of classes or certifications he needs to bring those skills up to date, and then start applying for jobs and see what happens. Seems a lot easier than completely reinventing the wheel.

He doesn't have to be a cook. He can develop great recipes and was thinking about starting a small business. Something like a vegan food cart but it is so damn expensive here. I heard it is 20K just to finish the paper work.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Technically it is never too late, but the risk goes way up the older you get.

There are always fairy tail stories, the exceptions, that everyone likes to talk about like they are the rule, they aren't.

After my experience, I wouldn't do it unless you already have some kind of in that would help you get hired into your new career field. If all you are going to do is get a new degree and look for a job, forget doing that when you get older in today's economy. 15-20 years ago, no problem, but not today.

The great recession has completely changed how employers hire. Employers are way too picky and about a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with you performing on the job. You can have the degrees, the experience, the knowledge, but if they think you are too old, or any number of other "red" flags, you are done for. It doesn't matter how good of an employee you would be. Employers don't see that, they only see a negative, often times completely made up and unsubstantiated, based on nothing but a herd mentality, and that is that, no job for you.
Can you share your experience please?
and what would help him to get hired? you mean connections? so basically, you are saying that unless he has connections in the new field, there is no point of getting a degree, right?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,208,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Can you share your experience please?
and what would help him to get hired? you mean connections? so basically, you are saying that unless he has connections in the new field, there is no point of getting a degree, right?
That is pretty much what I am saying. Networking is key. Employers are super critical of older people trying to start out in a different career and looking for entry level positions. You need to tie in the new degree with the old so it appears that you are further advancing your career, not starting over. People who start over are looked at negatively, as if you failed before etc... and no one wants to hire a failure. You need to have a real good story and even then, if they don't really know you, they won't believe it. My experience was that HR is so paranoid that any little "red" flag about you, and that is all it takes, no job for you. Instead of looking for reasons to hire you, why you would be a good employee, they only want to search for and see the negative, even if it is completely made up in their mind, and convince themselves why they shouldn't hire you.

I went back to college, got another degree, then spent three years trying to get a job. Not one offer. Eventually just moved on. Time, effort and money to get that degree was a complete waste of time.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
That is pretty much what I am saying. Networking is key. Employers are super critical of older people trying to start out in a different career and looking for entry level positions. You need to tie in the new degree with the old so it appears that you are further advancing your career, not starting over. People who start over are looked at negatively, as if you failed before etc... and no one wants to hire a failure. You need to have a real good story and even then, if they don't really know you, they won't believe it. My experience was that HR is so paranoid that any little "red" flag about you, and that is all it takes, no job for you. Instead of looking for reasons to hire you, why you would be a good employee, they only want to search for and see the negative, even if it is completely made up in their mind, and convince themselves why they shouldn't hire you.

I went back to college, got another degree, then spent three years trying to get a job. Not one offer. Eventually just moved on. Time, effort and money to get that degree was a complete waste of time.
was your degree in a completely different field?
do you consider yourself middle aged?
Anyway, thanks for your advice! networking is important, no doubt.
I hope you don't feel bad about this experience. It is something that you felt you wanted to do and you did it, who knows?maybe it will help you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment