Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It depends on the store. Sam's Club has hand scanners in their self checkout registers so that you can scan stuff in your cart. The receipt generates the number of items scanned, i.e 7. When you check out the clerk at the exit makes sure that there are 7 items in the cart.
It's helpful but doesn't work with alcohol or tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What I don't understand is how many diehard Amazon fans there are. Amazon is not the only game in town, folks. It's not even the best game in town. It's not the cheapest, it's not the fastest (at least not for regular customers), and it's not the best either in many ways. I can see Amazon completely controlling the online marketplace. It practically controls it already because of one tiny fact: people aren't willing to comparison shop for the best value due to Prime's $99 "free shipping." I shop at Amazon. I'm not saying it's a terrible place to shop. It has a lot to offer. But the Amazon Go stores will likely be like Prime Pantry, a store that carries expensive goods at a jacked up price in which the customer gets to do all the work of the staffers for a $0 discount.
Add in the cost of gas and time spent to get to a store and even if Amazons price is higher, its still worth it. I purchase Dog food from Amazon (alternate is Jet). Price online is currently ~$22. Price at stores is ~$29. So first lets add gas for lets say $2-$5 to stores price.

Then there is time:
Stores
Drive to nearest store, find parking spot, get cart, walk to product in store, throw product in cart, walk to registers, wait in line and pay, walk to car, throw in car, drive back home or run other errands, finally end up at home, pull from car, carry into home.
Amazon
Find and pay through any electronic device. Arrives at home usually within two days. Carry into home. Done.
Jet
Find and pay through any electronic device. Arrives at home usually within a few days. Carry into home. Done.

Jacked up prices? Not really. (not using BF or holiday pricing)
Ordered misc light fixtures and plumbing items. They were less than HD/Lowes.
Ordered a Microwave, it was $70 less than stores.

And fwiw I do shop around.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's helpful but doesn't work with alcohol or tobacco.
Sure it does, I buy wine at Sam's Club at the self check out, the clerk walks over and approves the purchase.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:40 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I asked my son about that, he worked in Grocery for years. He said clerks notice people doing it because not only is the four digit code different but so is the color or shape of the sticker, but it's not enough of a price difference that anyone is going to jack you up over it. He said they will call a manager if they see someone keying in the code for 20 cent corn and putting $2 avocados in the bag.
But that poster wasn't talking about a person standing near by, he said in that store it was only cameras overhead. I don't see how one person watching 6 videos can possibly have time to note the color and shape of each individual apple that's being scanned , especially since most people put them in bags...I have to squeeze the label right up to the bag to see the number, I don't see how a camera could catch the shapes of labels on produce inside a bag.

Again, the point was to someone who said it was harder to steal anything or get away with something unethical in self-checkout than a manned register, I simply disagree and that was one example I was using.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But that poster wasn't talking about a person standing near by, he said in that store it was only cameras overhead. I don't see how one person watching 6 videos can possibly have time to note the color and shape of each individual apple that's being scanned , especially since most people put them in bags...I have to squeeze the label right up to the bag to see the number, I don't see how a camera could catch the shapes of labels on produce inside a bag.

Again, the point was to someone who said it was harder to steal anything or get away with something unethical in self-checkout than a manned register, I simply disagree and that was one example I was using.
I understand what you are saying, and I'm not arguing with you, but there is usually a clerk who watches the self check out lines and if they have worked in the store for a while they generally recognize a bag full of apples with a white label and a red stripe as being 'organic' as opposed to regular apples with a blue label. And they can see what you are actually ringing up at their own kiosk.

My son's experience certainly does not represent the policy of all stores, but he said that at the stores where he worked, they ignored minor cheating, they realized that even a well intentioned customer could make a mistake entering the code, but they did watch for really egregious cheating with high cost items.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:12 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If the US ended it's policy of taxing world-wide income (like the majority of other countries) then we would see an end to corporate inversions. And a corporate inversion is absolutely based in economic reality - the reality of significantly reducing their tax burden.
What I mean by "economic reality" is the question of where the company, n the real world, is based and derives most of its income. You can be sure that if the company eventually needs insolvency relief it will choose the U.S.'s Chapter 11 over foreign alternatives. Also you csan be sure that if it needs a bailout it will seek it from the U.S. government. I am against companies and wealthy individuals having it both ways.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:21 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What I mean by "economic reality" is the question of where the company, n the real world, is based and derives most of its income. You can be sure that if the company eventually needs insolvency relief it will choose the U.S.'s Chapter 11 over foreign alternatives. Also you csan be sure that if it needs a bailout it will seek it from the U.S. government. I am against companies and wealthy individuals having it both ways.
Is the US in the habit of bailing out foreign companies?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:32 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Quote:
Is the US in the habit of bailing out foreign companies?
The question hasn't come up yet. But I would be willing to bet that if Chrysler had been "inverted" in 1980 there would have been a bailout. Ditto Chrysler and Ford in 2008. There would have been some representative or senator fro their major locations stirring the pot if we just took the position that they were a Canadian or Swiss company.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
My wife and I used a self order kiosk for the first time ever at Panera today. Worked great, avoided a long line and order was exactly how it was supposed to be. I worked fast food as a teen and we spent a ton of time fixing messed up orders.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
The question hasn't come up yet. But I would be willing to bet that if Chrysler had been "inverted" in 1980 there would have been a bailout. Ditto Chrysler and Ford in 2008. There would have been some representative or senator fro their major locations stirring the pot if we just took the position that they were a Canadian or Swiss company.
It's a rather perverse tax system that taxes two companies fundamentally differently if one is a US company and the other is a foreign company operating in the US, but are equal in all other respects. An inversion is simply a rational response to that perverse system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment