Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:05 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,804,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This could be your reason right here. Mental health coverage always has a cap over a certain period of time whether inpatient or outpatient. She may have reached the limit.

The question you should be asking is not "can they" from an Internet message board where people don't know all the facts but rather you should be asking "why?" of the employer. The medical facility usually won't know why benefits have stopped. They are not responsible for keeping track of every patient's coverage.

Also, you can read the insurance policy or synopsis of coverage which will tell you if this is the case regarding his coverage. These things are clearly spelled out on the list of benefits and limitations.

EXACTLY! All she has to do it call the customer service number for the insurance company and they will tell her why it's not covered. However, I'm pretty sure they probably met their max payout for mental health. Most insurance companies do have a cap for this type of treatment and coverage stops when reached. It has nothing to do with pre-existing conditions (which have to be covered by all companies now). If they can't afford the treatment out of pocket then they will need to find an area hospital that treats mental health patients with no insurance coverage. Typically each county has at least one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,569,865 times
In my state, ANY cancellation of insurance MUST follow up with a notification within five days of termination.

My current employer ( hired two months ago)...got snippy because I didn't sign up for their insurance. They had me sign a release that it was offered. Then they "expected" that I show proof of insurance thru my other provider. I politely told them its not their business to know. There is no Federal mandated labor law that requires I must show my employer such. Of course there is no labor law that says I have to have taxes deducted from my paycheck. Just a law that says I have to pay taxes on income or assets.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:03 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,804,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In my state, ANY cancellation of insurance MUST follow up with a notification within five days of termination.

My current employer ( hired two months ago)...got snippy because I didn't sign up for their insurance. They had me sign a release that it was offered. Then they "expected" that I show proof of insurance thru my other provider. I politely told them its not their business to know. There is no Federal mandated labor law that requires I must show my employer such. Of course there is no labor law that says I have to have taxes deducted from my paycheck. Just a law that says I have to pay taxes on income or assets.

I don't think this person insurance was cancelled. They probably just met their max on what their insurance will pay for mental health coverage. The OP's friend probably doesn't understand that. A simple call to the their insurance company could clarify things.

Also, by law with the ACA, your employer has to have you sign a release showing that they offered you health insurance and you declined.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Did they have a lapse in health coverage for any period of time? If so, they could be refusing to pay based off of a pre-existing condition.
With ACA (ObamaCare), there isn't an issue with pre-existing conditions anymore.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:04 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Yes it's United Healtcare PPO. You pay into it from your paycheck.

The dependent is 17 and it's for behavioral health.

She said they didn't tell her why....just they it was completely covered and then her company sent a letter to United that they know longer will pay for it.
Something seems wrong here, and perhaps she isn't telling the whole story.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
She probably reached the maximum payout that the insurance company would cover. It doesn't sound like you are getting the whole story.
That's what I'm thinking.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 AM

372 posts, read 524,780 times
It sounds like his policy for mental health coverage has capped out. Whatever the reason, they need to get it in writing. If they don't, his State's Insurance Commissioner needs to get involved.

Last edited by Gerrygal; 11-15-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,602,423 times
Quote:
Yes it's United Healtcare PPO. You pay into it from your paycheck.

The dependent is 17 and it's for behavioral health.

She said they didn't tell her why....just they it was completely covered and then her company sent a letter to United that they know longer will pay for it.
Did she hit the limit for mental health coverage? That's usually covered at a lower limit than regular health issues. Read the coverage documents.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:41 AM

932 posts, read 907,782 times
Quote:
She said United Healthcare told her that her employer sent them a letter to stop payment I think. So now she is talking to HR and said her company can be liable since her son had to be abruptly taken out of a residential facility after 3 weeks. If she didn't get him she would be charged $1500 a day. With all the time she has taken off I'm surprised her company hasn't let her go.
i think somebody or whoever is int he hospital is lying to you.. A employer cant make a insurance company stop paying unless the employer remove them from the insurance and they stop paying..

Old 11-15-2016, 10:43 AM

932 posts, read 907,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Maybe there is a maximum the insurance will pay for mental health or for any kind of residential facility. My Dad reached the maximum after brain surgery, and we had to bring him home.
There is no maximum anymore thanks to ACA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment