Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,143,406 times

Advertisements

I've mostly quit jobs. One I was fired, one I was close to being fired, and one closed down. All three I saw warning signs. If you lost a job, either due to being fired or it closing down, did you see it coming?

For the one I fired from, I knew it was the wrong fit from the first day and threatened to quit. I knew I could go back to the job I had before that. Which I eventually ended up doing. I only took the job because it was literally doubling my salary. My warning sign that they wanted me gone was HR started telling people they were going to do it.

From the one I was close to be fired, I knew because they posted my job (title and everything) on a job hunting site. Funny enough, when I left, they were in the lurch because they wanted to drag out firing me.

Job that closed down, I noticed they were starting to move things out. I was looking as I wasn't completely happy. So, when they held the meeting about closing, everyone was stunned and I was like lol I didn't even stand for the whole spiel, I just left and started packing my things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM

532 posts, read 963,619 times
Laid off from 2 jobs -- 1st one saw the warning signs. When a co-worker was laid off, I realized I was the only one left in the department that wasn't hired by my boss or her boss. Everyone in my department (including 2 boss's) took a new employee to lunch -- everyone that is except myself and the about to be laid off employee. The week of (was laid off on a Thursday) I started taking home personal items from my desk (had been there for close to 10 years). Because of all of this, I was not surprised at all, my co-worker when let go dissolved into tears.

2nd time -- thought I'd be safe, moved from p/t to f/t, my lead & boss had no issues with me at all, and my reviews were great, but it was simply done according to hours per week. Never saw it coming.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM

12,338 posts, read 17,248,653 times
I saw my retail job going downhill. Past due notices for rent, management changes, sharply falling sales, product not being sent etc. Got out just before they actually closed down. There are always signs somewhere. In cases of closings though upper management comes up with spins on why things are happening usually-And they are really adamant about it even if its obvious. It's like being on a ship that is sinking, you see water coming in and feel it listing to the side but the captain is screaming "Everything is fine! Go back to your steak tartare.!" Some people have reported for work to find the shop or office padlocked even.

Moral of the story is to read between the lines. Look for the small hints if possible. Its usually suttle at first.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,143,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I saw my retail job going downhill. Past due notices for rent, management changes, sharply falling sales, product not being sent etc. Got out just before they actually closed down. There are always signs somewhere. In cases of closings though upper management comes up with spins on why things are happening usually-And they are really adamant about it even if its obvious. It's like being on a ship that is sinking, you see water coming in and feel it listing to the side but the captain is screaming "Everything is fine! Go back to your steak tartare.!" Some people have reported for work to find the shop or office padlocked even.

Moral of the story is to read between the lines. Look for the small hints if possible. Its usually suttle at first.
That's why I posted this. I was at my former coworkers not knowing we going to sooner rather than later close down. Just said you said, the bills weren't being paid. People were calling all the time asking to speak to my bosses about not paying the bills. It got to the point the last week, we were sitting in there with the lights off because we didn't "need them on" due it being summer.

Just as the job I left for the one that close, my coworker said "She proabably quit, because you were going to hire her". The person above said "She KNEW that?". Um, yes, I even asked when my job was posted.

I don't know if people are really clueless or just in denial. There's always warning signs.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,650,411 times
I didn't have any warning signs the first job I was fired from. I had left abusive husband and had been working the job for few weeks already. Did not hear a complaint. I had a restraining order against husband. He found out I was working there and kept showing up to harass me. Cops refused to enforce the restraining order saying the job site was a public place so he could be there if he wanted. Boss fired me because of something I had no control over.

The other jobs that weren't work study jobs I didn't last long at all. Most of it was because he'd find out I was working there and would pop up. I was blackballed in the area after a bit and no one would hire me. The court had ordered me to live in the area though to keep my child, so I ended up having to go on welfare because I wasn't allowed to work a job.

The jobs I was fired from in this state usually had no warning. The only one that had warning signs was the one at the church nursery. The parents didn't like my daughter because she's bi-racial. The first warning signs at that job was when my daughter would come up to me in tears and say things like "they don't want me to play with the white kids." I have no idea what hateful things they said to her, but my daughter kept coming to me in tears like that. She loved playing with the toys though.

The parents would drop their kids off in this nursery for us to watch them while they did things like choir rehearsals and church meetings. The parents started pulling their kids out and after a while the one who hired me took me aside and fired me. Then I was threatened with character assassination, basically, if I started a stink over the real reason I was being fired. Yes, I had warning signs with that job, but I naively thought if I kept being nice to everyone that they'd come around. In the days leading up to that firing though I was already thinking of quitting because they kept making my daughter cry and their treatment of her was getting worse. She was so little and she was saying things she never heard from me. I was just trying to think of how best to quit. Hindsight, I wish I had just stopped showing up. I kept trying to keep her close as much as possible. I did a good job while there. The kids themselves liked me and my little girl. The parents were upset over their children wanting to play with her.

All the other jobs though in this state I would be working and either not hear feedback from the managers or get compliments, so I'd think it was going well. Not a single manager ever once say I was doing my job wrong and give me a warning or anything like that. Then suddenly I'm fired without cause. Finally, I just went in knowing I couldn't trust anyone and while I did the best I could I knew it didn't really matter. The last job I had I even worked when very sick trying to make a good impression. I had perfect attendance with no write-ups at all. They even kept lying to me saying how I was doing a good job and they'd keep me. They kept saying they liked my work and wanted to keep me. Then after I was fired one of the managers admitted to me they never intended to keep me in the first place. I'll never trust another one of them again.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:17 AM

27 posts, read 33,751 times
I got fired just a week ago.

1st sign: When you notice all the coworkers in the dept. have worked in that department for less than a year.

2nd sign: When a person from the payroll dept. passes your cubicle and tells you "O it almost been 2 weeks and your still here? Has that mean supervisor hasn't scared you away yet?"

3rd sign: Was told my hours after a certain date would change. When to confirm with supervisor prior to the date only to be told "Nope" your hours will remain the same.

4th sign: Again the person from payroll dept. passes your cubicle and tells you "how are you doing? Are you hanging in there?".

Starting at the very first sign I knew something was not right and the second I figured they didn't want me.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 PM

676 posts, read 732,702 times
Every time ive been fired I've seen it coming. One company went out of business and I seen that coming to.Its not hard to noticed slight changes from the norm and put it all together.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM

1,104 posts, read 926,676 times
Place where I was laid off was pretty obvious when it was discovered they had quietly arranged for an exact copy of our department in a country roughly 2,000 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment