Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,458,610 times

Advertisements

I would have gone into computer science. My dad discouraged me all along the way, telling me how difficult it was for women in the field (which is true - but being discouraged didn't help!) and how all the jobs were being outsourced to India. Sure, a lot of the field has been outsourced, but not all. And I'm not bad at coding and have been able to teach myself a lot, especially around web dev, on the job. Lacking the credentials and not getting the opportunity to delve more deeply into code isn't helping my career, and staying on the digital content/social media side of things is about the lowest paid sector of the tech world. :P

Not that I ever anticipated landing in digital marketing, but I also didn't anticipate getting cancer 6 months after graduating from college and thus disqualifying me from my intended career field in foreign service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,730 times
Computer Science / Software Programming - This was something I actually always wanted to do, but I had a fear mentality since I never did it before (my family was very low tech and not many good resources like we have now to self teach) and my family was not very supportive of it. Now it seems you can get a job anywhere as a software engineer, even working remotely, and they make pretty darn good salaries. Not to count they often work in laid back environment and it would work well for my introverted personality.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
I would have become a real estate broker at 35 instead of 50. Self employment is the way to go if you have the initiative for it.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
I would not change anything. In every job I have had I have made an impression and a difference no matter how small.
I refuse to change those real moments for something that is a fantasy.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:55 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,394,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I would have taken that government job I was offered in 1991 and worked my way up the ladder. I'd be at least a GS-15 Step 10 right now (if not SES through taking all advantages of promotion opportunities), AND eligible to retire.
I would have taken a government job too.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:01 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,315 times
I think I wouldn't change my work since I met my wife at work. (Although I could second guess that decision also)

I would change a few key financial moves like selling that one stock right before it dropped from $45 to $2 and avoid all the expensive junk I wasted my money on over the years. ie cars, motorcycles, home expansion etc etc.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I would have taken that government job I was offered in 1991 and worked my way up the ladder. I'd be at least a GS-15 Step 10 right now (if not SES through taking all advantages of promotion opportunities), AND eligible to retire.
I agree with this. The people I know with the greatest job security and best benefits all work for the government. And then you still get a decent retirement which public sector jobs just don't have. Sure you might start out at a lower salary but after watching my husband go through multiple layoffs in his industry (chemical/oil/gas engineering) job security sounds pretty good. It's tough when your industry is so controlled by companies buying each other out, jobs being outsourced, etc.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:53 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
Exactly where I am and doing exactly what I do.

I am certified by The National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies as a Level IV technician in the field of "Fire Protection Engineering Technology - Water Based Layout" which is a fancy way of saying I design fire sprinkler systems for buildings. The National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies is a Division of the National Society of Professional Engineers.

I've spoken of what I do here before and if you haven't read any of them then I doubt you have any clue such a career field exists. According to the registry there were 3,006 certified technicians nationally of as of July 31,2015. That is an average of 60 per state. Yeah, that is one out of 107,322 people in the United States so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that you haven't heard of us.

In the United States there aren't any schools that teach this; we are all industry trained and with the cost of training a new technician, which I would conservatively put at $40,000 for the first year, there is very little going on in the way of training which results in a severe shortage of qualified people that is about to get a whole lot worse.

In Georgia, which I would say represents the rest of the country, the median age of senior level technicians is 61 years old while the median age of fully certified technicians is 55 while only 20% are under 45 years of age. There is panic in the industry because they know a tsunami of retirements are coming but nobody knows how to fix it.

I think we are the last field where a college degree isn't required and the fact is most of us have but high school but, seeing how old we all are, it isn't a surprise that we came from an era where college... well... you could be successful without.

A little but here is a snip from the latest 2010 salary survey with a graphic at the top showing levels of education. Since this came out salaries have increased.

Where else can a high school graduate earn $60 to $80k in flyover country, one can live pretty well in rural Georgia on $70k, with 15 years experience? In addition to pay they all come with benefits... it is the nature of the industry.

With 15 to 19 years experience, in a field where experience is practically everything, pay is pretty close to where the median pay between holders of a bachelors and masters degree.

Huge shortage; I'm 67 and in the past year received three unsolicited job offers. Job security is 100% and I can not imagine how badly someone would have to screw up to get let go. Getting let go isn't going to happen because everyone knows an unemployed technician can find another job within 48 hours and it is just that tight and it is going to get tighter.

Oh, the industry is dominated by men (93%) but women (7%) are paid more. Go figure. I wish more ladies would be interested because it would be a perfect career. Yes, telecommute is very possible.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
We have a winner. Today with the technology available the old concept of retirement is obsolete. Today a person can have an internet business and basically work anywhere. Find that niche and work it.
I'm with you on this. Building my own brand now. Not something that was an option when I was starting out in life.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,850,221 times
wouldnt change a thing. im a mom and teacher just like i wanted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment