Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:11 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,699 times

Advertisements

I’ve been at my job for 3 months now and things are just now starting to feel more comfortable and I am not as stressed anymore. I learned a lot but I still have a lot to learn though. Anyway, everyone in the office has known eachother for at least 2 years…most about 5 years or so. They seem so comfortable talking to eachother about everything. I feel like my relationship with them is strictly professional and very acquaintance like. It wasn’t like this at my last job where I felt like we were friends.
I guess I’m okay with it as long as I’m not bullied like my very first job but it can get a bit lonely sometimes. I try to join in on conversation but it seems to revert back to the original group that has been there for years with the eye contact. I am naturally an introvert by the way so too much talking drains me anyways.

They talk for hours in the office with the boss too. Sometimes I’m thinking, “Don’t they have work to do?” because almost 2 hours will go by and they’re just talking about whatever. To be honest, some of it I can’t really relate to like pregnancies and children. I do better with 1 on 1 conversation though but when I start conversation with my boss sometimes it’s short or it can easily go an hour and I”m just thinking about the work I need to get done.

I often wonder if I’m sociable enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
A popular discussion topic here, divided between those who like to make friends on and off the job, and those who don't.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...coworkers.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...coworkers.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...onal-life.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...lete-show.html

Old 05-07-2016, 03:06 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Well, have 4 co-workers who I don't deal with except superficially. "Hi & Goodbye" is about it.

I leave it at that as they are:

1. Female
2. Come from other countries
3. Sit and chat (At their positions)

The funny thing? One of the "Higher Ups" saw a list of people who will be asked to "Stay Home" (Work slow down) I am not on that list as I work and keep my mouth shut. Some of them are on the list....Hard way to learn, but hope they do.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:25 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,383,576 times
I'm friendly with most, put up with some, but never, never party, or break bread with them. I have been invited to parties and such, but respectfully decline.....work is work.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
I'm the only college educated employee (out of 40-50 people INCLUDING the bosses) where I work in a workplace full of lower skilled, immature, unprofessional co-workers (with the exception of maybe 1-2 employees) so not really.. I have nothing in common with any of them. As far as I pragmatics go I try to fit in but Im not really into going to shoot guns and killing poor defenseless animals riding around acting like I'm a teenager again.

Im from the north.. Not really into the whole southern redneck thing. I love the laid back atmosphere of the south and laid back lifestyle, and weather but I just can't really connect with the types of personalities of the south.

I talk to everyone and show respect but as far a hanging out outside of work and being "buddy buddy" , absolutely not

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-07-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 05:41 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Always friendly, professional and cordial with all co-workers. Even those that may irritate me (which are few), I take the high road and stay professional. You never know, and the power of "nice" pays dividends down the road, sometimes indirectly.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:55 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I spend some time with some of my former coworkers on my personal time and we are Facebook friends, but I wouldn't consider it buddy buddy

Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I will do some small talk/chat about things like weather, food, or sports with my boss and my subordinates, but never see them outside of the office for social reasons, and I am not Facebook friends with any of them. I really don't think it appropriate for socializing with a superior or subordinate, and in my case, I have no real work peers, as I am the only one with my job title. At a recent business conference, I did spend time with meals and drinks with some others from work, but they were all in other departments and of course, people tend to stick mostly to others from their company at such events.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
No way, the co-workers are just too toxic. And I actually have stuff going on in the outside when I clock out for the day.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:47 AM

341 posts, read 1,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Thanks. I'm not necessarily asking if ts a good idea to be friends with coworker's but more so if I'm in a normal situation. I'm wondering if it takes more time to be more personal and feel like I'm in the circle... I talk but I don't sit and talk for hours like they do... And I wonder if I should force myself to join and fit in but it means work not getting done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment