Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 06:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times

Advertisements

Higher wages wouldn't help fired Yelp millennial (Opinion) - CNN.com
It's been a while since the story about that girl who got fired from Yelp... CNN has their response/commentary on it

Since CD likes to harp on China/India/H1Bs who work for "cheaper" thus have an advantageous edge... and yet they also pander for higher minimum wage.

I don't mind higher minimum wage, but not for the same reasons as most on CD it seems. I don't see it as a way for the "poor" to get ahead, because if I know I have to pay someone more, I just charge more for it and pass the bill to the customer.

Trade schools or degrees where they complete a certification when they graduate, they seem to do fine. Why? Because the employer knows that by passing certification, they can at least expect a level of basic skills to build on right off the bat. Nurses, pharmacists, doctors, dentists, healthcare, all have certs/boards. Computer programmers can pick up various certs too, may or may not help, not my field so I can't say. Trade schools have to pass certification too or they can't get insured/bonded/whatever term is to do the job, ie without it they won't get hired. Or for science majors, getting published would lend credibility to your skills/education as well.

Where does the rest of the college grads sit? Outside of "known" top schools, can you really say you know what skills an English major has? What about history? Art? Music?

Anyways, I think CNN's partly "correct". I would have said she should have done that while in college first. Everyone trades "dollars" for a college degree, but that doesn't impart a set of skills that employers recognize upon graduation since degrees are somewhat separate from skill level. So why don't they trade "hours" for skills as well? Internships, or just finding volunteer work or yes working for minimum wage for a while.

But if they did none of that while in school, wouldn't just trading "time" at a job where the pay is low give them a chance to get "peer" reviewed on their skills since they didn't get around to doing it in college. A year or so at a "low level"/"crappy" job so you can build a reputation (IE get references) and show that you have skills to a level where someone is willing to pay for it. Then go on and switch to a better job that isn't so low on the pay scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
^That's what I've been saying.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times
From the article (That's why high-minimum-wage laws are actually bad for the very people who think they need them most: millennials. Companies that are forced to pay workers a minimum of $15 an hour won't hire from the young, inexperienced, fresh-out-of-college crowd. They can't spend that much money on an unproven, untested investment.)

I have posted this before. I was working one job where the employer stated that "If I have to pay $15 an hour, I want someone with a TRACK RECORD of showing up on time, working and doing what they're supposed to. I'm not about to take on a green kid who thinks that they deserve high pay just for breathing"

He gave me $20 bonuses about every other month for showing up, working and doing a bit extra time to time. Mainly though it was due to me just simply showing up on time and working....I asked him "How many from the last GOOD worker till me did you go through?"

He replied "About 15 in about 7-8 months"....

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM

928 posts, read 1,103,092 times
I fully agree with the CNN article, although many folks here may not fully comprehend the economic laws on which the premise is based.

I think the Yelp girl is just a bad apple, someone who wanted to get something for nothing, in her case a lot of attention, which she did end up getting but at what price? She may not be employable anymore as no employer will risk hiring a loose cannon. In any case, I think she is spoiling it fir the countless millenials out there who want to work hard and advance their careers the right way.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:44 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,770,426 times
Honestly, tbat girl could have used the Yelp job for a stepping stone jnto something better. Instead of complaining, she could have been looking.

It's not how you start but how you finish.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:10 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Back when I was younger, I briefly made min wage (or near to that) while doing retail work.

The entire time I was there, my mentality was "What can I do that pays more than this crappy job". I found a solution, and left and never looked back. It was harder work for sure, but it paid off in the long run.

These days, I am associated with a manufacturing process line and partially involved with hiring workers. Often times these works come from min wage food service jobs and the pay is usually more than what they made at Wendy's and such. There's room to move up, and many have gone onto supervisor roles in the mid $20 range. Anyway, turnover is high. Maybe 10% of those hired lasted 6 months and beyond. Two most common reasons for leaving. 1) Too much time off, late, or no-shows or asking for a 1 week vacation and taking 2 "by mistake" (seriously). and #2). Felt the job was too hard and weld back to their old job.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
Quote:
#2). Felt the job was too hard and weld back to their old job.
seen this too, never understood it..

if old job was minimum wage, how is new job harder? It has more responsibilities, but being poor is a lot harder than any work condition to me. I rather just work hard while at work, then live a relaxed life

Old 03-01-2016, 07:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Honestly, tbat girl could have used the Yelp job for a stepping stone jnto something better. Instead of complaining, she could have been looking.

It's not how you start but how you finish.
The idea of "stepping stones" seems to have fallen by the wayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment