Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,150,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
people have caught on that there is no correlation between GPA and work performance. Study after study have shown that GPA and work performance has no correlation. None at all.
So much truth to this, I had to quote it LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,636,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm now 17 years out of college, and the positions I'm currently apply for still require not only college transcripts, but high school as well. They also weigh gpa heavily. They don't care this stuff was from half my lifetime ago. It's ridiculous.
How strange. In what field?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:33 AM

35,315 posts, read 31,723,712 times
Definitely upper level finance. Prestige is a huge factor there.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,799,631 times
To get into Med School, it matters a lot. Once, you are in Med School, hardly at all.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,584,008 times
I was asked a lot about my GPA, but I was in Accounting, and I think it's modestly important.

Even more important once I realized I should have never majored in it, and my professors should not have passed me or encouraged me to continue.

Seriously, I'm dumber than a bag of hair. Accountants are smart.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 AM

6,765 posts, read 6,032,122 times
Getting into med school. GPA is crucially important. Probably important for law school applicants as well. Most graduate programs (MA/MS/PhD). Some elite entry jobs in finance, law, or government, where your paper credentials such as GPA, prestigious school, etc., all play a role in the hiring process because you have little job experience as yet.

Ten years out of school, no one really cares about GPA anymore except maybe some rules-bound employers such as the federal government.

In technology, they not only don't care about GPA, they don't even care whether you have a degree, let alone where it's from. There are so many brilliant programmers and such who didn't even go to school, or dropped out midway because they founded tech startups their junior year and so forth. Bill Gates springs to mind. I believe Facebook founder Zuckerberg didn't graduate either.

I would say, in general, don't obsess about grades too much; do your best, let the grades reflect your best efforts. Then once you have your first job, you can put away the transcripts and never think about them for the rest of your life, if you're lucky.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,984,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
How strange. In what field?
Flight crew. It's just so extremely competitive they use any metric they can to weed applicant numbers down. This is one way they do so. It is what it is and we deal with it. Regardless of experience or age, they require full transcripts and gpa is weighed heavily. There are many other hoops to jump through as well that 'normal' jobs don't require (psych profile by a psychologist, release of full medical history, review of volunteer work, cognitive exams, and on and on and on.)

Old 02-08-2016, 01:15 PM

84 posts, read 80,363 times
I'm in marketing/communications and have never once been asked for my GPA.

My husband is a software engineer at one of the big Silicon Valley tech companies, and he's never been asked for his, either.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,504,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I was asked a lot about my GPA, but I was in Accounting, and I think it's modestly important.

Even more important once I realized I should have never majored in it, and my professors should not have passed me or encouraged me to continue.

Seriously, I'm dumber than a bag of hair. Accountants are smart.
To work for the government, at least in Accounting, your beginning salary is based in part on your GPA. Your entry "step" or whatever its called--is higher if your GPA is at least 3.0.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,038,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Definitely upper level finance. Prestige is a huge factor there.
In finance it's all about the college you went to, the companies you worked for in the past, and the set of alphabets behind your name (CPA, CFA, PMP, etc). Once again, after your first entry level job, they don't care about GPA. I worked in the finance field and, after my first job, was never asked about GPA again. I would laugh if a recruiter asked about it now decades after college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment