Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 02:05 PM

801 posts, read 548,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
No they don’t, 1. I gained no useful skills in those jobs that I use in controls or process engineering ... ZERO.

2. A few bucks an hr more is still a mcjob.
1. None of my BK experiences are useful in accounting either. But it did lead me to the job that lead me to low end accounting jobs.

2. And that new job can be used to get something better...

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 10-07-2019 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
1. None of my BK experiences are useful in accounting either. But it did lead me to the job that lead me to low end accounting jobs.

2. And that new job can be used to get something better...
That makes no sense, there is zero correlation between professional accounting and McJobs. It’s like your trying to play it up but those jobs literally have zero value for over qualified people or even people who aspire to a real profession.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 PM

50,333 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
But if something pays 20x a mcjob you dont have to do it for very long before you can punch out if you do it right. When you are working for daily food and rent and thats it there is no out or light at the end ...
Most everyone I know started with a min wage job. As a hiring manager I'd rather see some sort of work history be it anything than hiring someone with a masters that has never worked before. A degree means nothing if you haven't proven you can work with other people. I've met a lot of book smart people I would never hire to work where I do.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most everyone I know started with a min wage job. As a hiring manager I'd rather see some sort of work history be it anything than hiring someone with a masters that has never worked before. A degree means nothing if you haven't proven you can work with other people. I've met a lot of book smart people I would never hire to work where I do.
You have internships, conferences, professional volunteer work. Lots of things that can be done that’s not a mcjob. If you don’t like that then I simply wouldn’t work for you.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,560,431 times
Quote:
That makes no sense, there is zero correlation between professional accounting and McJobs. It’s like your trying to play it up but those jobs literally have zero value for over qualified people or even people who aspire to a real profession.
they're good building block types of jobs. lots of lessons to be learned.

all else equal, a kid with 1 year of mcdonalds work experience going to their first professional job is far ahead of a kid that never worked, attempting to enter the workforce as a starting professional accountant

Old 10-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
they're good building block types of jobs. lots of lessons to be learned.

all else equal, a kid with 1 year of mcdonalds work experience going to their first professional job is far ahead of a kid that never worked, attempting to enter the workforce as a starting professional accountant
All other things are never equal though, a full one day intensive trade show or conference would be more relevant than a year at McDonald’s.

A hiring manager that valued a year at McDonald’s over internships, conferences, etc is going to find himself in the unemployment line or out of business.

If you hire a bunch of petty functionaries because “gosh darn it everyone’s got to pay their dues” I will make it my mission to put you out of business and you can learn the hard way that having a year at a mcjob is no correlation to professional competence in an unrelated field.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
I think it's false. I saw this in the "news" (lol).
https://www.theonion.com/starbucks-u...lap-1819580082

Old 10-12-2019, 12:48 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
All other things are never equal though, a full one day intensive trade show or conference would be more relevant than a year at McDonald’s.

A hiring manager that valued a year at McDonald’s over internships, conferences, etc is going to find himself in the unemployment line or out of business.

If you hire a bunch of petty functionaries because “gosh darn it everyone’s got to pay their dues” I will make it my mission to put you out of business and you can learn the hard way that having a year at a mcjob is no correlation to professional competence in an unrelated field.
I'm not a big fan of MC jobs but having a job alone shows that you're competent and trainable to work at a better position.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I'm not a big fan of MC jobs but having a job alone shows that you're competent and trainable to work at a better position.
We will have to agree to disagree. Maybe if the job in question required a few weeks of training to do but things like nuclear engineers, electrical engineers, chemical engineers, etc. A mcjob does not translate at all, if you can get a degree in engineering you have already proven you can get work done, get to class on time, etc.

Unless certain engineering programs are getting really lax, in which case the employer just needs to keep themselves apprised of which schools are crap. But between the degree, professional testing and licensing, continuing education, conferences, trade shows ... A McJob adds zero value at that stage of the game.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:43 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,560,431 times
Quote:

Obviously an internship is better. That wasn't the comparison though. If there was someone with a year of big firm internship experience with similar credentials as someone working mcdonalds for a year, they'd be the more attractive hire. Similarly, someone working mcdonalds is a more attractive hire than someone with zero experience.

I've seen kids come out of college with high GPA that had zero idea how to function in a work environment, which is very different from home or school. In addition to adjusting to the professional level work, they also need to cope and figure out how to work within a business organization. Not that hard to understand why even unrelated work experience is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment