Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,222,309 times

Advertisements

I would like some unbiased opinions please.

In my office there are 11 of us who areessentially at the same level within the organization. Three are considered “section”leaders but they have no supervisory authority over anyone else.

There is another specialty group that consistsof me and one other person. This “group” has technically existed for about 3years, but I was announced as part of the group a little over a year ago. It’sjust the two of us. While the other person has more experience in how myemployer specifically addresses the specialty, because I came from somewhereelse, I have more than twice the experience in this specialty. In general, Ihave more experience overall. Neither of the parties in the group areconsidered supervisory over the other. We are supposed to be a team. However,the other person has been considered the lead for so long that it is justgenerally accepted that they are the lead. I don’t really have a problem withthat, and the other person deserves recognition for the contributions madeprior to me coming on board and for some of the continued success of the specialtyprogram.

Again, I have no problem with any of that.

My problem is that this person has (twice now)basically sent me emails (they sit two desks away) giving me instructions anddirections and “tasks” to complete. They didn't bother to ask me if I had already done the work, or started the work, or had made adjustments to the schedule to complete the work - the email just directed me to do it. Because they are "too busy."

I had a discussion a while ago with oursupervisor and told him about the emails and that I really didn’t need someoneto give me tasks and “assignments”. That I am perfectly capable of handling theneeds of the position without interference from an equal.

How would you handle this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,310,028 times
What did your supervisor do after your discussion a while ago?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:08 PM

He asked me if I wanted him to talk to my co-worker. I said no because I didn't want to make an issue of it as it was the first time. However, now that it's happened again, I feel like something should be said.

I guess I just don't know if I should just say something (and try not to sound pissy about it) or let my supervisor handle it.

I want to email her back saying "Ummm...I don't work FOR you." But I know that probably wouldn't go over well. LOL

Last edited by lunetunelover; 02-18-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 03:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,887,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
He asked me if I wanted him to talk to my co-worker. I said no because I didn't want to make an issue of it as it was the first time. However, now that it's happened again, I feel like something should be said.

I guess I just don't know if I should just say something (and try not to sound pissy about it) or let my supervisor handle it.
So go talk to the coworker. Don't go into this as a "how dare you give me assignments, you're not my boss!!" sort of conversation. Instead approach your teammate as a peer to come up with a way to handle workflow in the broader sense. What sort of work-share system would make you bristle less? Propose that.

But before you move forward: are you really sure this is an actual problem, or is it possible that you are feeling hurt over something that may be completely innocuous? Busy, collaborative teams are filled with instances where one member has to offload tasks onto another. It is perfectly normal for for one person to say to another, "I'm completely slammed with the Johnson documentation, and the Wilkins report also has to get done today. Can you work on that while I finish this?" Often this winds up shortened to "I'm up to *here* today! I need you on Wilkins." It doesn't mean they think they are above you, it is just simply part of the give-and-take of a collaborative team environment.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Why not just say, "You know, I don't mind if you, as my co-worker, ask me if I have time to do something for you, and I certainly don't mind helping you out, but I don't like being told by my peers that I must do something, so please change the wording when you send your requests for help to me."

Old 02-18-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks to both of you for responding.

I will admit that there may be a bit of a misunderstanding but I still feel that this could have been handled more appropriately from the coworkers end. For one thing, the tasks don't need to be completed until next month. I'm sure there will be enough time for both of us to work on it. It would not be redundant effort for both of us to do the same tasks (we are testing a system).

Additionally, this is not the first thing that has been passed off. I'm happy to accept additional work because there are many times where my work load is small. It's not the work that is bothering me. It is the fact that this person feels they have to tell me to do it. I'm quite capable of completing tasks without that kind of direction. I've managed to complete many tasks on this same project completely independently, and keep up with my own work.

I have begun to suspect a bit of intimidation or competition from this co-worker. I just can't get over the email...it was just as easy to stop by my desk and have a conversation with me about this, and would have definitely gone much better from my point of view. I noticed our supervisor was copied on the email, as though this person is trying to create some kind of "paper trail." It just seems really petty.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Why not suggest that when a project comes in, the two of you will discuss the tasks that need to be done, divvy the work up, and set deadlines for each task? "And of course we're both responsible adults so we don't need to check in with one another to make sure the work is being done."

With regard to the email, I may have just looked up and said, "Don't send me an email like this again. If you want to know if I'm going to work on something, just ask."

Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM

587 posts, read 917,308 times
I really like MPowering's suggestion above, about dividing the tasks up at the outset. Maybe you could set up a project plan in Bootcamp and send him an email about it, cc:ing your supervisor...

Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but is your coworker trying to make you responsible for any deficiencies in the testing process by indicating that you have complete ownership of it? Sometimes I get crazy ideas, and that may not be a good one... but I agree that it is odd he is cc:ing your supervisor.

I think I would reply-all and say that I already planned on doing X but that he should handle Y on his own, and we should both be doing Z.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 AM

harlowvart, thanks for the input! I tend to be a bit cynical and paranoid sometimes as well, but I'm pretty sure there's no concern about any deficiencies being blamed on either of us.

MPowering1, I like your style but it's a bit more forward than I think I can be! LOL

I haven't fully decided how I'm going to handle this yet, but I'm drafting another email in my head. I want to just go and talk this out, but I feel like the email could at least open the door. As well as keeping our supervisor in the "loop."

Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM

658 posts, read 725,799 times
I would send an email first but don't CC: your supervisor, instead BCC: your supervisor with what you currently have in mind. You don't have to be too direct but come mutual and open. You showing CC: your supervisor, your co-worker will perceive as you're starting a fight and things can go south between your working relationship. Follow up emails can be CCed to Supervisor if things didn't go well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment