Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:20 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

The other option would be for these Amazon workers to unionize, and then the issue could be addressed in contract negotiations. A poster noted that UPS workers are paid for their time spent waiting to be searched--UPS is union (Teamsters, if I'm not mistaken). I am a conservative Reagan Republican, and I am persuaded that unionization is the way to go in a case like this. Ronald Reagan was too, after all he served as president of a union.
Ronald Reagan was president of the Screen Actor's Guild and was "notoriously pro-management, leading the way to a strike-ending agreement in 1959 that greatly weakened the union and finally resigning under membership pressure before his term ended. "

Ronald Reagan's War on Labor (Labor) by Dick Meister

"Reagan's war on labor began in the summer of 1981, when he fired 13,000 striking air traffic controllers and destroyed their union. As Washington Post columnist Harold Meyerson noted, that was "an unambiguous signal that employers need feel little or no obligation to their workers, and employers got that message loud and clear -- illegally firing workers who sought to unionize, replacing permanent employees who could collect benefits with temps who could not, shipping factories and jobs abroad."

Reagan gave dedicated union foes direct control of the federal agencies that were designed originally to protect and further the rights and interests of workers and their unions. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
LOL Reagan struck a deal with PATCO with raises, and they responded with a wildcat strike.

FDR believed there should be NO unions of government employees. NONE.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
My question is what do others company do, regarding similar situation? Has this changed their current policies? How is this different from being searched prior to coming into work? Are people paid prior to coming in for work at certain jobs in different sector's? How does this affect salaried worker's over paid worker's? In all fairness I think filling should be if employer makes all reasonable accommodations to ensure employees are searched prior to exiting building during scheduled work detail. However, if would have adverse affect and accommodations are not possible employer will ensure employee is required during six or more hour to shift; for have an hour break if employer self aware of retaining employee beyond scheduled shift work. Additionally, lduring lunch break period of no minimal then 30 minutes and up to 1 hour if employee on such break thus company must ensure payment during daybreak to compensate for refinement on work grounds. Deemed only as justifiable reason for work refinement.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It would be nice if they would move people through that process faster, but many people have to put up with unpaid time upon leaving work. For example, I may have to spend 20 minutes waiting for a long fright train to go by in order to get to the parking garage to go home. I don't get paid for that time. At some f the larger downtown office buildings it may take 20 minutes just waiting in line to exit a parking garage. Many people working in food processing or various kinds of construction will shower and change clothes before going home and they don't get paid for that time. Standing in a line on the way out is not working.

If you are a coal miner, the time clock is not at the bottom of the mine. It is at the front gate. The miners are paid for the time it takes to ride the elevators a few miiles underground to the job site.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Why doesn't Amazon create four to six different shifts...where one shift leaves one continues work and one shift comes in.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm surprised by this ruling, and I'd like to know what the median wait time is.

Pitt Chick posted this a few posts above yours: “Data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds,” said company spokeswoman Kelly Cheeseman."

Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I don't blame them. If people wouldn't steal they wouldn't ruin it for everybody. But I want to know, how do they know if something is stolen or brought from home?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Pitt Chick posted this a few posts above yours: “Data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds,” said company spokeswoman Kelly Cheeseman."
The worldwide median wait time might be 90 seconds, but the wait time for your particular work place could still be 25 minutes. The relevant stat here is not the median wait time, but the maximum wait time. If your feet are in the oven, and your head is in the freezer, your median temperature is perfect.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 PM

147 posts, read 230,268 times
Reagan fired all the air traffic controllers in one day.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
I've had a couple of jobs say I need to be at work and ready to work 5 minutes early without being paid for it. 5 minutes may not sound like much, but over a year if you make 12 an hour and work 5 days a week for 51 weeks it results in 21.25 hours of unpaid work time or 255 dollars before tax. Your time is being wasted while not being paid. I can't agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment