Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:27 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,162,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
True, but this is an hourly employee.
If that is the case, then yes, they should face discipline. However the original story said that this policy was directed at salaried millenials, not hourly workers. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 11:34 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,764,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If that is the case, then yes, they should face discipline. However the original story said that this policy was directed at salaried millenials, not hourly workers. Sorry for the confusion.

I think you may have assumed that. Bo's posts didn't mention whether they were salaried or hourly.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM

532 posts, read 963,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
OP, think of your company as the military. Everybody has a rank and the system is set up in a hierarchical manner.

There is a manager in charge of the group.
There is a supervisor right below them.
There is everybody else.

The manager runs the group while taking orders from above.
The supervisors have duties that support the manager and supervise a group.

Even though you think you are not the supervisor of your group, you have a higher rank than the workers below you (yes, they are below you). That is why the manager expects you to talk to the people when you see something out of line.

When the manager is gone, the supervisor is now in charge. You must assume some or all of the duties of the manager in her absence. The company, realizing that this is a burden for you, sends a manager to help out and oversee how you are coping with the absence of the manager. This manager, being of higher rank, has the authority to do what he did. He also has the authority to discipline you if needed.
Very well said!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM

12,107 posts, read 10,392,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
Will try to give enough info to elicit feedback, without giving out too much info

I am a supervisor at work, but since I am the only person who does my job it is really in name only, however my manager gives me more leeway with it -- if someone is not following rues or policies and I let her know, she often will ask me if I talked to them about it? If I say yes, she says good, if I say I didn't think it was my place she tells me I am a supervisor (yes, but not theirs).

My manager has been out of the office for close to a month due to a family emergency and no date yet on when she will be back.

Another manager from a different location comes in once or twice a week, this works out very well, they have much different managing styles, but no issues with him.

We have a new employee (under 3 months) who is having a problem with attendance, his reasons are justifiable, but he is still missing scheduled work days. Policy is to call the manager on duty (during the week by default that is me) prior to your shift starting -- at first he was late by under 20 minutes. I did speak to him about it.

Then it was not calling in at all I was having to call him, his reason for not calling was extremely weak (he is very young), or he would call me 2 hours late to tell me the latest reason but always with a time when he would be in, which was then pushed back 2 hours, then another 2 hours to it's not even worth it to come in at this point.

This is making me very frustrated, I create the schedules and it's a balancing act to make sure all shifts are covered while respecting their requested days off. Now I feel I can't depend on him.

I have been documenting everything (as my boss requests) and had a talk about this with the other manager. He said it is definitely time for a talk with the employee, he wanted me to sit in since I have been privy to everything, but I had something come up at the last minute, so they met alone.

I didn't ask anything about the meeting nor did the manager offer any information.

A few hours later the manager came to me with my documentation and the employee's written warning! What? I didn't expect that, and frankly think for first time discussion it was a little overkill.

My manager would NEVER have done that, in fact, prior to getting rid of 2 very bad apples, she never wrote them up (although told me she would but always backed off), to the point that when she had to suspend one of the "apples" HR asked to see the written write-ups -- oops, none to show -- that didn't go over to well.

Now....I don't know if the manager will tell my manager when she comes back, or do I tell her? She doesn't like when we involve "outsiders" in these matters, then again, my talking to this guy has done no good and felt it was time to bring in someone with more authority -- but again, just thought he would talk to him about his attendance.

A part of me feels guilty -- the employee was wrong and needs to be at work every day and on time, but.....I feel the other manager went too far.

Thoughts? Should I feel guilty? I even thought about shredding the document, I keep all employee files under lock and key. Do I tell my boss? Thoughts, any thoughts? I have spoken with the employee since (not about the meeting) and he seems fine.
That manager did the right thing. Do not shred the document. Nut up and tell your boss. The slacker needs to be put on notice. You are doing the slacker a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment