Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:35 PM

615 posts, read 726,637 times

Advertisements

Women are now in the workforce and have an advantage in getting every type of job besides manual labor jobs, of which there are fewer due to automation. Employers like to hire women if they can find ones who are sufficiently skilled. Because women:
  • are more passive
  • are eye candy for a lot of men
  • are better looking in general
  • are less likely to steal, get in a physical fight, etc.
  • have better interpersonal skills
  • create diversity in sectors that are male-dominated

Hence, if you have a pool of sufficiently skilled applicants and at least one of them is a decent-looking female, you will see the female get hired 9 times out of 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:00 PM

150 posts, read 173,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
One of the things nobody mentions is that it's not easy to just go get a job. Any job. These employers want you to apply online, and do a huge personality test at the end. It can take up to 45 minutes for each application you do. To top it all off, you soon find out that not a single company you applied for has contacted you for an interview. You can do literally hundreds of applications and not hear back from a single one. Eventually you end up applying for thousands of jobs and give up looking. Just when you think you hit gold you find out it was all a waste of time.

Back in the 50's you didn't have any of this online application, personality tests, references, credit checks, background checks just to get a little part time job that paid $8 an hour. You just showed up, asked the boss if he needed any help, and if you were dressed nice and well spoken it took a few tries and you always found some kind of job. It only works this way now if you know someone that can get you past this BS. Nowadays you just keep applying into oblivion and when you try to explain the situation to people they accuse you of making excuses, or making things up. If you want people to get jobs, you have to make it easier to get them. Not harder.

I've been rejected by grocery stores, restaurants, retail shops, etc. I've had companies interview me, tell me they liked me, then hire someone else instead. Of course they never told me that until I hunted THEM down to find out. The rest I just never heard a peep from. All over the course of years. Since 2010 at least. In America companies won't hire minors. The biggest problem I have is nobody responding to applications I submit. This happens practically with every one I do.

There has to be some kind of problem or issue going on. Why would a Mcdonald's say they are hiring multiple times, but when I apply they never contact me?

Every accusation people make (laziness, not willing to work for cheap, not dressing nice, addictions) is false in my case.

The problem I have is that nobody will hire me.
You said it well.

Some people just don't understand how far this country has fallen. It doesn't enter into their heads, it doesn't compute because they had it good for so long.

It's like somebody who has never been sick a day of his life, has no healthcare training, and sees someone collapse and is shocked and doesn't understand what's going on.

That's America these days.

The working class has been eviscerated and the middle class is next. We can't get jobs and when we do get them we're not paid. How hard is that to understand? It's like Americans are too brainwashed, too optimistic to think that anything like this can happen.

"It can't happen here." "It's all in your head" etc.

Boy I'm just waiting to see the look on everybody's faces when this entire system comes crashing down. I want to live just to see it, it's the only thing that keeps me going.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Out in S. California by the freeway on/off ramps you see plenty of middle aged Americans begging with signs, while an Illegal alien is selling flowers or oranges. lots of times these losers have cellphones and cigarettes.

Yes in the US you have starving "fat" people that would rather complain than do what they have to do to survive.

Americans are falling behind because of TRAITOR politicians like Obama pushing Amnesty and visas so foreigners can come to the US and ignore labor laws and undercut US workers. US workers also have to support able bodied losers on welfare through taxation..
Wait... you are saying that illegal aliens are selling flowers/oranges while the americans are begging? Then you blame Obama for wanting people to work in the US? I don't see how getting rid of immigrants will motivate your beggers examples to pick up the flower stalls/orange vender jobs? I don't exactly peg those as high skill jobs that they can't do if they can already hold up a sign? How about instead of a begging sign, they hold up a Flowers for $12/dozen or oranges for $1/each?

Old 12-14-2014, 04:17 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
You said it well.

Some people just don't understand how far this country has fallen. It doesn't enter into their heads, it doesn't compute because they had it good for so long.

It's like somebody who has never been sick a day of his life, has no healthcare training, and sees someone collapse and is shocked and doesn't understand what's going on.

That's America these days.

The working class has been eviscerated and the middle class is next. We can't get jobs and when we do get them we're not paid. How hard is that to understand? It's like Americans are too brainwashed, too optimistic to think that anything like this can happen.

"It can't happen here." "It's all in your head" etc.

Boy I'm just waiting to see the look on everybody's faces when this entire system comes crashing down. I want to live just to see it, it's the only thing that keeps me going.
Where has the working class been eviscerated? Was working on an assembly line in a low to medium skill position ever deserving of a lifetime pension, super Union benefits, etc? Wasn't this just a sign of the excess of the times, and now we are returning to normal?

Old 12-14-2014, 04:55 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Where has the working class been eviscerated? Was working on an assembly line in a low to medium skill position ever deserving of a lifetime pension, super Union benefits, etc? Wasn't this just a sign of the excess of the times, and now we are returning to normal?
I think that is part of the problem, if normal returns this country to the way it was in the early 1900s than people could have a reason to be worried.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
What is normal?

Survival of the fittest?

The end of the weak?

The jungle? No different than the lion eating Bambi in Africa?

Is that the appearance of an advanced civilization? is that the only goal in sight for MANKIND?

I would think a civilized advanced society finds other solutions. If we stay at the level of the jungle where only the strong survives it simply means we are not progressing. It means we are still barbarians.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Correct, Emigrations. Now we will learn how good we really are, as the entire world can compete with us now.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Wouldn't making things that are technologically updated and innovative result it something more viable for export?
America's share of innovative tech has been shrinking for years. Asian companies like Samsung, Apple and Motorola have taken over the innovation market and just sell stuff to us that we can't make ourselves.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
America's share of innovative tech has been shrinking for years. Asian companies like Samsung, Apple and Motorola have taken over the innovation market and just sell stuff to us that we can't make ourselves.
American companies don't spend money on R&D anymore.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What is normal?

Survival of the fittest?

The end of the weak?

The jungle? No different than the lion eating Bambi in Africa?

Is that the appearance of an advanced civilization? is that the only goal in sight for MANKIND?

I would think a civilized advanced society finds other solutions. If we stay at the level of the jungle where only the strong survives it simply means we are not progressing. It means we are still barbarians.
Barbarians or not, that's the way it is and has always been. In addition to the automation and outsourcing, part of the problem is the lack of competition in the schools since about 1970s.

Some of remember "tracking" which was ended because those kids in the lower tiers might have their feelings hurt to be in a slower class. In youth sports, for the younger kids they stopped keeping score.
Everyone on every team gets a "participation" trophy".

What's happening now is that a large percentage of kids in school are not prepared for the competition of getting into college, nor for getting a good job after graduation from high school or college. For the boomers, competition started at a much earlier age. They expected and were able to handle it.

With the decreasing availability of good jobs, being able to compete is more important than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment