Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times

Advertisements

How open is HR to negotiating PTO rather than salary? I've happened onto an interview for a position at a company I really want to work for, but the glaring downfall is they only have 10 days of paid time off which is just absurd to me.

I know I'm jumping the gun with this a bit since I don't have an offer, but I just wanted to ask the question out of curiosity as well: how much flexibility is generally given in your experiences?

I should note that I'm looking for 15 days, and I'm totally fine with accruing them, but it's just such a small amount to have only 10 sick and vacation days combined each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
They'll probably think you're lazy

Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
They'll probably think you're lazy
Only in America is asking for more than 10/250 days off considered lazy.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,407 times
It is very dependent on the company culture. If you go into an office full of type-A workaholics and request extra time off, you come across as lazy and tone-deaf. But if they are strapped for cash, they may be thrilled you would rather have a lower salary and additional time off.

I guess it comes down to how much you need this particular job. If you are in a strong negotiating position with current employment or other strong prospects, I would be tempted to negotiate hard with the knowledge that an entity where work-life balance is not prioritized is not a culture where you want to work in the first place. But if you have to make this opportunity work regardless, you might want to put in some due diligence about how they are likely to react before you bring it up.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
It is very dependent on the company culture. If you go into an office full of type-A workaholics and request extra time off, you come across as lazy and tone-deaf. But if they are strapped for cash, they may be thrilled you would rather have a lower salary and additional time off.
This company is neither type-A nor strapped for cash. It gets glowing reviews from all the people I know who work there, a flexible work culture, work from home, casual clothing, on-site gym, free downtown parking, etc.

Quote:
I guess it comes down to how much you need this particular job.
It's a $15k payraise most likely, less hours, and ability to travel internationally. I do not need it at all though since I'm currently employed.

Quote:
If you are in a strong negotiating position with current employment or other strong prospects, I would be tempted to negotiate hard with the knowledge that an entity where work-life balance is not prioritized is not a culture where you want to work in the first place. But if you have to make this opportunity work regardless, you might want to put in some due diligence about how they are likely to react before you bring it up.
I believe I might be. A head-hunter sent me this job and told me the hiring manager can't seem to get anyone with the combination of skills I possess. I'm not asking for the world, I'm asking for 15 rather than 10 days. But if they find that unreasonable, then I suppose you're right in that I might want to look for other opportunities.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Heck, I would ask for 20 days. 15 days PTO combined sucks

If it's such a great place to work, why do they only give 10 days?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,637 posts, read 81,333,263 times
It's not a matter of being unreasonable, it's corporate policy. They are not likely to make an exception With salaries they have more flexibility than with benefits. It would not be fair to those that started well before you and got less days. That does seem low, by the way. We start at 15 days and still have sick leave for any hospitalization days or 3+ days sick with doctor's note.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,337 times
My bigger concern would be the culture of a place that thinks 10 days of vacation is sufficient. They sound out of touch with work-life balance which may rear its ugly head in many other ways. The sick days included in those 10 days is completely absurd. One bad flu will wipe out your days for the year.

It totally depends on the corporate culture if they would be open to negotiating PTO instead of salary. We are a large international corporation and would not negotiate that for anyone below the executive level. I don't think it hurts to ask, and I don't think you'd appear lazy.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
The places I have worked would not be open to discussing it at all unless you are being brought in at the executive level. That said, 10 days total is very crappy. I believe we start out at 10 vac days and 8 or 10 sick days.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM

So, what if I proposed unpaid leave? This is my issue: I live 3,000 miles away from my family and currently get a generous two weeks off for Christmas with my current employer. All I'd really want is Christmas Eve through New Year off to come home; however, under a 10 day PTO policy, that's 1/2 of my PTO gone from the outset. Is this an option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment