Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,693,305 times

Advertisements

Bottom line: she may not want a job!

I know women who felt bullied or otherwise had negative experiences in offices, so when they lost their jobs, they were actually happy and made 101 excuses as to why they couldn't get another.

I know now to watch for that before I spend too much time helping.

There are just a ton of children in adult bodies out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,514,018 times
I'm in a similar situation to your sister. Laid off 12 months ago and haven't been able to find a job even living in a hot city for my field. I wish I didn't have to do it, but me and my wife are moving back into her parent's house to get on our feet again. I simply couldn't afford rent and bills here, we lost everything.

All I can say is it's all in the network and who you know, and even then you need a big dose of luck. Unless you have some quality of skill that makes you stand way out, chances are there's tens of thousands of other similarly qualified people out there. You got to know the right people in today's job market and say a few prayers hoping for the best.

Best of luck to your sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment