Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times

Advertisements

This actually happened at the current company I work for. We used a temp agency to sign someone on a 6 month contract to work on a product. The product overall really needed 2 people working for a full year to complete. After the 6 months was up the CEO offered the guy a full time job if he worked for an entire year. If he left before his year was up, he would have to pay back some X dollars of money for the 6 months he was on contract. He didn't take the job, but I'm not sure how legal this is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
This actually happened at the current company I work for. We used a temp agency to sign someone on a 6 month contract to work on a product. The product overall really needed 2 people working for a full year to complete. After the 6 months was up the CEO offered the guy a full time job if he worked for an entire year. If he left before his year was up, he would have to pay back some X dollars of money for the 6 months he was on contract. He didn't take the job, but I'm not sure how legal this is.
Illegal.

You cannot recover wages. You can offer relo, tuition assistance, etc that have clawback provisions that dissipate over time, you can pay stuff like bonuses only for folks there x years, but you cannot recover wages already paid.

Each quarter, all employers report wages for unemployment comp purposes and SS calculations. Both employee and employer have already paid said taxes on said wages.

Create an environment folks do NOT want to leave..problem solved.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is not true. Apple designs most of its technology (they CPU for example... Which is manufactured by Samsung) and they do design and develop their software. Frog designs does aesthetics for the most part. Like the cases.
But aesthetics pretty much are the product. The ipod wasn't the first mp3 player but it certainly was better looking and was better designed. Granted I will say I think Apple kinda gets it now and will push for more office and enterprise apps.

OS X came from NeXT when Jobs came back to Apple. NeXT didn't take off. NeXT came from BSD
Now having said though it does not mean that mac apps can run on linux and/or vice versa. However, it is very easy to change linux to be a virtual clone of MacOS. So much so it is alleged that Apple blocked Pear OS
The Case of the Missing OS, or Did Apple Eat Pear? | Community | LinuxInsider Even using Mac4lin gets much of the same results.

Apple isn't really alone in this C# is practically 95% C++. IBM didn't make linux but after OS/2 faded they didn't have that much of a venue to create another OS.

In terms of processors they are running off of intel based now. During the 1990's the power pc chip was owned by Motorola, IBM and Apple. During the 80's pretty much all computers were either on a Motorola 68000 or some form of a Z-80 by zilog or a 6502 from MOS.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Create an environment folks do NOT want to leave..problem solved.
Easier said than done for many reasons because some are policy issues, others are from office space bullying, others are bad bosses and others are because of bad hires by HR or managers who aren't fits. I agree that there are some you can fix (policies within reason, weeding out bad hires, the HR, etc.)

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Several reasons exist why organizations are not acquiring the team members they need.

First, applicants lack enough or the proper training to effectively serve in the position needed.

Second, underwhelming interest for the position or the organization exists. Do experienced applicants want to take the risk of joining an organization in entry-level positions?

Third, the organization has been on a decline. Do applicants want to risk joining a sinking ship?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
Spent the last few years trying to get a job in power engineering. I am an electrical engineer with over 5 years experience, and I would be willing to take an entry level job because I finally have a career goal.

Instead all the jobs want 3-5 years experience in power. I actually had a headhunter for this industry contact me, and he said he couldn't find anyone with this experience. I told him it is because there are no entry level jobs out there.

I ctually talked to a VP at one of these firms. He told me they hire people out of college, and almost never hire anyone with experience. I asked if going back and getting a Master's degree from a university specializing in power would help, and the best he could say was it might or it might not.

Meanwhile all these midlevel power jobs seem to go unfilled and have to pay folks six figures because they refuse to give anyone a chance to break into the industry.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the POV of that article's author.

I just posted it in response to another person who states they never saw an article in which an employer blamed the education system for the "labor shortage."
I hear what you mean. Frankly if there is a labor shortage it can usually mean a few things.

1) It cost too much in time or money to commute or live near the area (assuming no telecommuting)

2) The compensation is too low either on pay or benefits

3) The working conditions are not good, perhaps not safe.

4) Non sustainable training programs or lack thereof.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We already kind of sort of had that WITHOUT the contracts. This is one of the reasons we have seen fewer training jobs according to "experts" on the forum, entry level people leave after two or so years.
And I don't blame people for jumping ship after two years or so. Life is way too short.

Doing grunt work in one organization in the hopes of the good ol' boy managers above you will decide to eventually throw you a bone and promote you or give you the raise you deserve 5-10 years later (never mind the possibility of the company failing then laying you off) is a waste of time when you can jump ship and get to raise/promotion you want much sooner.

Many companies will end up having to adjust the expectations one way or another and accept that either job hopping will become the new norm or that concessions will have to be made with their employees so they'll want to remain loyal.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Really? Why do you feel so entitled to the power to tell people to stop having a discussion in a discussion forum? Who do you think you are?

How about we keep this as a meaningful discussion like it had been up until this point? We don't need a bully around here telling people what to do.
It was a polite request, not an order.

Here's another polite request: Don't put words in my mouth.

And another: If you find what I say so offensive, you are free to put me on your ignore list.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Easier said than done for many reasons because some are policy issues, others are from office space bullying, others are bad bosses and others are because of bad hires by HR or managers who aren't fits. I agree that there are some you can fix (policies within reason, weeding out bad hires, the HR, etc.)
99.9% of US corps are NOT trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment