Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM

268 posts, read 655,692 times

Advertisements

I don't know why but I have a constant fear of being fired.

I mean what could be worse in your adult life than loosing your job? I just constantly wonder what people think of me and if I am doing a good job..

how do I just be myself and get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM

382 posts, read 666,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
I don't know why but I have a constant fear of being fired.

I mean what could be worse in your adult life than loosing your job? I just constantly wonder what people think of me and if I am doing a good job..

how do I just be myself and get over it?

Exactly that and do not worry about it. It is what it is and nothing else.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,878,444 times
Don't blow your money flaunting fancy cars/houses/whatever like your coworkers do. Live like you're poor and build up a nice nest egg.

I stopped worrying about getting fired after saving up a few years' worth of living expenses.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM

469 posts, read 640,759 times
You need other interests in your life so your whole self worth is not placed in the hands of your employers.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM

15,172 posts, read 10,266,495 times
You don't have one on one sessions or evaluations from your boss? Talk to him/her about it.

Do good work.
Put yourself were you are needed in the company.
Keep you skill sets fresh/updated.
Be flexible and agile.
Save for a rainy day.

I've generally been more worried about the stability of the company I work for more so than being fired. I've been through several mass layoffs and company closures. Perhaps I'm getting used to it because its the nature of my field.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 PM

268 posts, read 655,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Don't blow your money flaunting fancy cars/houses/whatever like your coworkers do. Live like you're poor and build up a nice nest egg.

I stopped worrying about getting fired after saving up a few years' worth of living expenses.
a few years of living expenses!? How much does that equate to?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,713,370 times
Here's the grim reality:

Jobs will fire you. You just have to say "What the eff." Because "What the eff" brings opportunity. Eff you, pay me, and then go from there.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM

532 posts, read 964,214 times
Goofball -- I hear ya!

Was laid off from a job after 9 years (cutbacks).

Found another job 6 months later, had great reviews, great relationship with manager, after 3 1/2 years company did a massive layoff, I was the last one in, first one out. Fortunately I had proven myself and was given a promotion at a different location -- worst year of my life, even more fortunately the company restructured and created a new position, moved back to my target area, another promotion, and am so happy....but I constantly worry about layoffs.

I have conveyed my fears to my boss (every January/February) the new budgets come out and I hold my breath, however, I am the only person in my office who does what I do, but every year at that time I worry, so far, 4+ years and counting.

I also lack confidence, but I know no matter how much my manager likes me (and higher ups) and no matter how great my reviews are, if budget cuts happen the rest doesn't matter, plus I am almost 53 which would not be in my favor.

My parents are getting older and my dad has had some health concerns, so I have been helping them a lot, my current boss is 100% ok with that, but a new boss -- probably not so much.

I listen to my boss who tells me do not worry, I try to listen to her more than my insecurities!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,631,006 times
1. Go in on time, don't take extra long breaks or lunches.
2. Set up monthly informal one on one meetings with your manager to get constant feedback. They can be short 15 min meetings just to check in.
3. Learn the standards by which you are being judged and do your job well.

Once you cover all of those bases, you can alleviate your anxiety.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,796,641 times
Personally, I don't care if I get fired tomorrow. I think it might actually be interesting.

If you're paranoid, it's because you know you're replaceable easily. Make the company the replaceable one and watch the paranoia change sides. My boss is terrified at the thought of me leaving because he knows the kind of work load that would all fall on his plate.

Develop a skill set that not many people have and get good at your job. I could have a new job within a couple weeks, easily. There's no lack of demand for what I do and there aren't many people who cross fields (Accounting and Programming in my case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment