Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times

Advertisements

Most I know can afford it but won’t stop working- it’s all they know and want to do
For the high mucky mucks that I know— many cow tow to them they are a star
But the day after retirement they are just another fussy old lady giving the waiter a hard time in a 5 star restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 03:46 AM

7,208 posts, read 9,363,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Most I know can afford it but won’t stop working- it’s all they know and want to do
For the high mucky mucks that I know— many cow tow to them they are a star
But the day after retirement they are just another fussy old lady giving the waiter a hard time in a 5 star restaurant
I've also seen this behavior. Some people need to feel like they are important. In a typical organization they have underlings who constantly suck up. It strokes their ego. I can think of one President like that.

People who have power are reluctant to lose it. They fear that without that power they will become irrelevant. And they are correct.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 AM

669 posts, read 585,247 times
When people ask me why my husband has not retired yet I answer...He likes having a paycheck. He also does a great job that “youngsters” are no way capable of doing at his level. Work ethic and decades of experience count.

A friend of mine was “retired” by her former employer 6 years ago. She immediately found another job doing the same work at higher pay. Recently the company downsized her out of a job. Two weeks later...yep...nabbed the next job at the pay she demanded....no questions asked. She turns 62 this fall. Executive level.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 PM

292 posts, read 163,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Im seeing a lot of baby boomers still clinging and clutching to their power positions despite many of them living a nice comfortable life outside of work it appears.

They continue to hold these high money making positions and STILL WON'T RETIRE

What is the problem? How do you expect the younger folk in their 20s and 30s to move up the ladder if the older folk won't call it a career and continue to enjoy the good money and perks?

Haven't they saved any money? Are their lives so empty, they wouldn't know what to do unless they went to work every day?

The only way positions are going to open is if the older folk retire.

What really bothers me are these execs or Managers who have had a nice 6 figure a year income or better for 2-3 decades that still won't retire? What the hell did these people spend their money on that they can't afford to retire by their 50s-60s?
Bingo

Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,286,184 times
The overwhelming majority are not financially able to retire.

This is not news.

Next question.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:51 AM

292 posts, read 163,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Tough.

They can keep working if they want to. They owe nothing to anyone. They don't have to quit their job in order to provide a job for a younger person. Good grief, the entitlement mentality of people these days...
It's an entitlement mentality to want an opportunity to support yourself?

Me thinks you have a skewed view of "entitlement"

Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,240,099 times
The range of reasons is pretty broad. I am 48 now. When I was 40 my plan was to get myself in the position to retire by age 55. I was well on my way too, but I got married and now have stepchildren that need assistance and my mother who didn't plan at all for her older age needs to be subsidized in assisted living. Oh and Obamacare had also figured into my plans but now insurance is also an issue. I'm not so sure now whether 55 will be possible. Maybe 60, it will depend on how long my mother is with us.

That is one think I never see discussed about Obamacare....it made it more possible for people to retire early. Which also opens up opportunities for the younger generations. Oh well.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:01 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,959,174 times
I am ready to turn 70 in a couple months and I don't have any plans to retire.

Well, maybe when I reach 75, I will rethink it then.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,250,381 times
I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford health insurance.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,685,498 times
We have a 71 yr old woman working per diem who refuses to quit. Maybe afraid of aging? Not sure. Has money. Maybe control issues? She was a manager and still acts like she's in charge. They'll have to cart her off when she collapses probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment