Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,327,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Think of the fun you could have had with that! Some possible replies:

I was a Chippendale's dancer.
Stolen credit cards.
I didn't really go to college, I'm just trying to get the job.
Is this question legal?
Selling drugs.
It's still not paid for.
Rich daddy.

That question is almost as stupid as "if you were a Big Mac, which part of it would you be?"
I would add "sugar momma" (is there such a thing?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I can't believe I was recently asked to answer this question. How did I finance college? None of your f'ing business that's how. Where does someone get off asking that. I can already see what they want. I worked full time and got a 4.0 look at me! I graduated almost 20 years ago so that's not even relevant.

I left it blank and went on with the process because the job seemed a pretty good opportunity. When I compare some of the red flags I partially noticed during the process with my current employer I am interpreting things more critically having just been burned.

I am direct and outspoken so yes I miss the subtle clues from time to time, but not so much anymore.
We have taught our children, ANYTIME you are asked something that makes you uncomfortable, is illegal or you feel is NONE of the askers business, your PERFECT response is "Why do you ask???"....it puts them TOTALLY off guard and allows you the backout without being confrontational and creating issues. All of a sudden, THEY need to justify or drop the "nosey" question.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,461,424 times
its not really a rude, unnecessary question. some employer are even doing credit checks. question is, how did you pay for college, if it wasn't illegal, whats the problem

Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its not really a rude, unnecessary question. some employer are even doing credit checks. question is, how did you pay for college, if it wasn't illegal, whats the problem
because it has nothing to do with my qualifications for the job

Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I would add "sugar momma" (is there such a thing?)
Equal rights - there has to be!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,142,395 times
You could probably can take that right to the Labor Board and win the case. Knowing how you paid for college is no ones business. If you are applying for a job that has a direct correlation to the handling of cash the proper method would have been to inform you a credit check will be performed and have you sign the necessary forms for them to do so.
I was a Payroll Administrator and any time I changed jobs I had to sign off on a drug test, a credit check and a criminal background check. Oops forgot my driving record was also checked, I think that was to be sure I didn't speed on their computer system.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 PM

7,594 posts, read 4,828,554 times
It's a legitimate question. I was asked that once right after college and I think I got hired because I paid for my college myself by being an academic scholar, a poor-but-deserving student scholar and a part-time research intern in the university.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 AM

5,490 posts, read 4,519,131 times
I've heard a career presenter say that a job seeker participated in a final interview, which included the CEO of the company. She thought things were going great until the CEO pulled her aside and said "I know I'm not supposed to ask you this, but I'd like to know... Are you married, and do you have any children?". So much for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I would think they are asking to see if you are a hard worker. They want to know if you worked your way through college, or did daddy give you a free ride. I would have put down that you worked full-time and earned a 4.0...why not use it as an opportunity to brag?
Not the worst thing in the world, but it does raise some yellow flags, like why did you like "such and such movie", or "are you a Knicks fan?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
When I applied for a job in the deep South once in the early-90's, they asked for a photo and something else that was illegal (can't remember). I left it blank and did not submit a photo. They called me up and wanted to know why I did not submit that information. I told them that I thought maybe their application form was old, as it was illegal to ask for that information. They just said, "Well, we're asking."
To which you reply, "well, I'm telling you"

Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,835,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So if the interviewer said to you "we like to hire people whom we consider are financially stable, please let us know how much you have in your savings account and retirement funds and provide proof", you would be OK with answering that?

Where do you draw the line on personal information, that has nothing to do with the position you're interviewing for?
I wouldn't provide proof, but I would answer the question. Depending on the situation, for instance, if I was moving to the area, I might answer "Thankfully I've managed to save an appropriate amount to make sure my family and I are able to put down roots here" and maybe add a few more things that let the person know I'm planning to stay there for a long time.

By the way, the interviewer in this case didn't ask the interviewee to provide any proof. In fact, it wasn't an interviewer asking the question at all (it was on a form). But if I was asked how I paid for school, I could say something like, "Using various resources, I was able to make all my payments on time and have no student loan debt."

It's easy to answer a question without giving specifics. At the very least, you could say something like, "I'm uncomfortable discussing the specifics of my financial situation, only to say that I'm able to live comfortably and make sure to always pay my bills on time."

The point is, can you handle yourself professionally? To just walk out of an interview because you didn't like something they asked, suggests that you can't handle yourself in stressful situations. I guess, by walking out, you at least saved them from rejecting you.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I wouldn't provide proof, but I would answer the question. Depending on the situation, for instance, if I was moving to the area, I might answer "Thankfully I've managed to save an appropriate amount to make sure my family and I are able to put down roots here" and maybe add a few more things that let the person know I'm planning to stay there for a long time.

By the way, the interviewer in this case didn't ask the interviewee to provide any proof. In fact, it wasn't an interviewer asking the question at all (it was on a form). But if I was asked how I paid for school, I could say something like, "Using various resources, I was able to make all my payments on time and have no student loan debt."

It's easy to answer a question without giving specifics. At the very least, you could say something like, "I'm uncomfortable discussing the specifics of my financial situation, only to say that I'm able to live comfortably and make sure to always pay my bills on time."

The point is, can you handle yourself professionally? To just walk out of an interview because you didn't like something they asked, suggests that you can't handle yourself in stressful situations. I guess, by walking out, you at least saved them from rejecting you.
Walking out means you know you have the background and skills to get another interview invite from a company that doesn't ask crazy questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment