Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,381,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can go to the SBA, SCORE, or your local SBDC and they have folks that will walk you through all of the legal stuff and the entire process of starting a business.

Get off the computer and go talk to some real people.
wasn't trying to be rude, its a serious question. I'm not lazy, I've only casually thought about it, but the classes I've seen offered rarely cover this ...more, they cover the passion for business, or how to come up with a great idea, etc. That stuff comes easily to me. I'm more interested in the details of "how" to do it and what you do first and what its legal to do....if you can start selling things or services before incorporating etc.

sure if I really do want to do it I'll make sure to find out and find the appropriate classes. But it seems like most people don't. They just go for it and I wonder how many of them end up breaking laws?

I once worked for a woman that seemed clueless about how to pay me as an employee and when I asked about it she quickly learned and I got a proper paycheck. Or at least it seemed like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 18,012,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
wasn't trying to be rude, its a serious question. I'm not lazy, I've only casually thought about it, but the classes I've seen offered rarely cover this ...more, they cover the passion for business, or how to come up with a great idea, etc. That stuff comes easily to me. I'm more interested in the details of "how" to do it and what you do first and what its legal to do....if you can start selling things or services before incorporating etc.

sure if I really do want to do it I'll make sure to find out and find the appropriate classes. But it seems like most people don't. They just go for it and I wonder how many of them end up breaking laws?

I once worked for a woman that seemed clueless about how to pay me as an employee and when I asked about it she quickly learned and I got a proper paycheck. Or at least it seemed like it.
Start here:

Small Business for Dummies 2nd Ed. CD: Eric Tyson, Jim Schell, Brett Barry: 9780061175947: Amazon.com: Books

Starting a Business | SBA.gov

http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-content/2/3099

http://californiasbdc.org/

Old 03-22-2014, 01:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,852,518 times
Quote:
You can go to the SBA, SCORE, or your local SBDC and they have folks that will walk you through all of the legal stuff and the entire process of starting a business.

This.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times
Quote:

The legal stuff isn't exactly free. Don't get me wrong small business associations (SBA) and incubators like NACET in Flagstaff, AZ are great resources, but you still need to pay for the incorporation documents if you want to protect yourself from losing your personal fortune with lawsuits. This is one of a few start up costs that one faces with our without the help of local incubators and SBAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment