Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 PM

35,356 posts, read 31,793,012 times

Advertisements

The VP of our division took the new hires (including myself) and other personnel out for dinner and drinks tonight, on him. I'm new here, but do you think it would look like a suck-up or a gentleman move to thank him for his generosity tomorrow? Also, do you see this going on much at your firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,586,200 times
I think a short personal written note that says thank you for the wonderful dinner and the chance to get to know everyone better would be fine or if you happen to see him in the hall tell him you appreciate his generosity, dinner was delicious and it was nice to get to know others better.

Something similar to what I wrote, just keep it short and to the point.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,631,290 times
That was extremely nice of the VP. In my own experience, this kind of behavior is all too rare.

I would encourage you to thank him, but a short email or a quick comment in the hallway is probably enough.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,234,212 times
I would NOT do a personalized letter. I think it would be too out of place at the office and indeed look like a suckup effort.

However, a single paragraph thank you email would be very appropriate and not out of place in an office. Nothing gushing, but a straightforward "thank you, I appreciate being invited."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-20-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,836,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I would encourage you to thank him, but a short email or a quick comment in the hallway is probably enough.
I agree. I would probably just say you had a great time and thank him casually, if you interact with him regularly. Otherwise a short, casual email saying you enjoyed yourself and thanking him would be the way to go

Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 PM

35,356 posts, read 31,793,012 times
Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm not planning on a doing page letter for it - just a couple of sentences like "Mr. X, I appreciate your generosity and including me in the social outing. I enjoy the team atmosphere here and am looking forward to working closely with team members in the future"

Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,270,857 times
Get a thank you card and pass it around for all you sign or has they wish.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,876,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I would NOT do a personalized letter. I think it would be too out of place at the office and indeed look like a suckup effort.

However, a single paragraph thank you email would be very appropriate and not out of place in an office. Nothing gushing, but a straightforward "thank you, I appreciate being invited."
This right here. Quick email.

Whenever I take one of my field teams out for dinner/drinks (as a VP), I send a "thanks for coming out" email the next day. Their engagement is valuable to me.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,836,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm not planning on a doing page letter for it - just a couple of sentences like "Mr. X, I appreciate your generosity and including me in the social outing. I enjoy the team atmosphere here and am looking forward to working closely with team members in the future"
Sounds too formal.

Say something like "(first name or whatever you call him to his face), thank you for the dinner at (restaurant). We all had a great time and I would like to thank you for your generosity". sincerely, emigrations.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,989,286 times
A note would be too formal and I think a simple verbal "Thank you for the very nice dinner the other night, we really all enjoyed it" would be much better. I like personal verbal communications like this, it means more to people sometimes than something scratched on a piece of paper.

IMO thank yous are never out of place and should never be seen as sucking up either. Someone did something nice for you and you are simply letting them know it was appreciated. It will also set you apart from the "takers" who never think to show their gratitude for things like this.

Your boss puts his pants on the same way you do so I see no reason to be afraid to approach him as a human and let him know you enjoyed the gesture. If a subordinate approached me and said that I would think very highly of that person.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment